AMD Adrenalin settings/MSFS setting specific for AMD?

Hi,

got myself an RX 6900XT and am super happy with it. But it seems the most guides out there deal with settings for Nvidia cards. So I wonder if there are specific settings that would be helpful to be done in Adrenalin driver or, in game that an AMD user would benefit from?

Thank you!

3 Likes

You kinda left out information that is necessary in order to tune the system to your sim. Your monitors operating resolution as well as your cpu is needed in order to give the absolute best advice.
But anyway

Install the driver. Do not make any changes to the settings in terms of image processing within the radeon software (standard profile). Leave it stock. (make sure vsync /freesync is off within the radeon software)

Run the sim … Within the sim general display settings run the sim at ultra settings at your monitors default resolution. Turn on Vsync within the sim and set it to 30 (The sim will still go over 30 fps dont worry)

Start a flight and from within the cockpit (and only the cockpit press ALT R) it will bring up the radeon software. Go to performance and tuning and look for the little switch that turns on the monitoring overlay that will show you your gpu usage fps wattage and temps in the upper right corner of your monitor.

After you have that up and running your next step is to balance the card to the processor.
To do that you will need to fly in a decently resource demanding area (Not london thats bugged atm) … Preferably NYC or Tokyo and observe the framerate and gpu usage. If your getting a bunch of stutters and the gpu is showing low usage then go back to general display settings in the sim and up the render scaling by 10… till most of the stutters are gone and the gpu is running at 100%. IF the gpu is already at 100% and you feel that the performance is not up to par in terms of framerates you have two options. Either back off some of the ultra settings within the sim or back off the render scaling by 10.

The aim is to make sure that the GPU is running at 100% or pretty close to it in most if not all cases.

Caution !!
please be aware that presently there is a bug that randomly causes GPU’s to drop in their usage since the UK update so please be on the lookout for this during testing and be able to tell the difference between your gpu not being 100% from being properly optimized and and not being 100% because the bug hit at some random point during your flight.

Thats the basics.
My current system
AMD Ryzen 5900x / 32gb ram/ AMD Powercolor 6800xt

Advanced
Once you have the sim running smoothly then you can go into the performance section of the radeon software and experiment with the various tuning and overclocking options for better performance or more gpu headroom if you want more performance from the card (But this may be unecessary unless your running 4k/ultra and maxed out card and the frames are still low)

6 Likes

I have the RX 6900 XT too, tied to a Ryzen 5950X on a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, using 64GB of DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHZ. The monitor I am using is a Samsung 4K 55". I can get FPS between 25-35 using Ultra settings, but I too would love more settings information for the AMD software and Windows in this forum. I can’t seem to find guidance like there is for NVIDIA anywhere…

3 Likes

Hi Maxisone.

I would be grateful if you could help. My set up is as follows:

Monitor: 32inch AOC 1440p
CPU: i9-10900k not OC’d
GPU: AMD 6900xt Reference Card not OC’d
64GB RAM 3200hz

Do I follow the above steps you mentioned l? When I select default settings it defaults to Ultra and I use vsync on at 60.

The issue I get is that I get 30-40fps on those settings even at smaller like Munich or Osaka.

What would be the settings within the flight sim that would make the difference in terms of FPS and also within Radeon software. I heard about Radeon Chill is that any good?

Thank you!

2 Likes

With Radeon Chill you basically give your system a minimum and a target FPS to shoot for. If the GPU gets warmer it will try to keep the minimum, and if there’s thermal headroom it will go up to the target max.

Basically it makes the card run cooler by limiting the FPS, so you’re not going to get more FPS out of it.
I run it at 30 min. 38 max. It makes it run very smooth, but if your target is ‘maximizing FPS’, this is not the tool for you.
Apart from that I don’t use any Radeon driver settings. Just leave them application controlled, and optimize settings in the game (like I guess it’s intended to work).

3 Likes

Hi

I could be wrong but getting 40 plus while sitting at the Airport is not bad at all. in those somewhat dense environments you will be limted by the CPU so i wouldnt worry too much (as long as the frames are smooth).

You also have to consider that there has been some performance degradation since the last two updates so those framerates you are reporting appears to be in line with what you should be seeing.

2 Likes

When this thing gets installed this will be the first thing I try.

I would add: Set up a Game Profile for Microsoft Flight Simulator to keep its Graphics and Performance Tuning settings apart from the Global settings.

This is a AMD 2700x w RX580 stock & 32GB Ram.

Nothing I have done seems to get me to 60 fps. 48-55 is where I max out on Medium settings.

I set Vsync to ON and the In-game FPS to 60. I was afraid it was capping it at 30 when I need the 48 fps range.

Anyway. Maybe by tomorrow I’ll get to try!
Thank you!
Cheers.

3 Likes

hi. my adrenaline monitoring (overlay) is not showing fps and frametime. it seems to be enabled (N/A). do you know how to fix that?

i tried following your guide. i am running an 6900XT/5800X, high to ultra settings, vsync off. renderscaling is 90, 4K resolution. with the ingame fps overlay (dev options) it shows about 50 fps and 18ms frametime when flying the G1000 C208 around amsterdam at 2500ft, few clouds. GPU ist around 98% and Cpu at around 33%.
when i got to 2K resolution, everythinkg stays the same. no higher fps, or lower frame time, gpu and cpu workload is also the same - how could that be? does that make sense?

when i switch on vsync and lock to 50% monitor refresh rate (monitor is runing 60 Hz). the ingame fps just constantly displays 30 fps. GPU usage drops to about 75% usage and cpu usage to about 20%. makes sense. but disadvantage is, that i got stutters, frame time is around 33ms. so vsync on is bad.

thanks.

2 Likes

I have had issues with stutter as well but a different GPU. After about 30 minutes or so of playing with sliders for the visuals, I end up with an almost completely stutter free sim. That is until a feature update and there are major code changes to the visuals.

for reference my system 5900x, 1080 GTX, 32 gb ram, P5 NVMe, 750 watt PSU
1080 GTX and PSU to be replaced this week with a 7900 XTX, not sure about the PSU yet.

2 Likes

thanks. you remind any of the sliders, which had the most impact on the stutters/frametime?

1 Like

hi. can you remember on how you put the sliders?

1 Like

Sorry for not logging in here for so long. I unloaded the sliders that corresponded mostly with CPU tasks. I did not end up keeping the 7900 XTX, but while I had it, it worked well.

I need to take some time in the sim again and I can better reference what sliders helped vs not.

1 Like

have you switched to team green?

Went back to team green for now. Back to running an overclocked 1080 GTX with extra air cooling.