Replacing Nvidia GPU with a Radeon 7900 XTX in MSFS

I’m this coming week upgrading my Nvidia MSI Suprim X 3070 Ti with a NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX.

My system
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5900x CPU (not overclocked)
Graphics card (see above)
32gb of ram
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Sony 43" TV (4k @ 60hz)
Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1250

MSFS
Developer mode = OFF
VR = No

I am going to use DDU to remove all the Nvidia drivers etc. I want to avoid if possible, having to reinstall Windows and MSFS. I also am going to backup UserCfg.opt in MSFS and in Windows do a thorough clean up including clearing the Direct X Shader Cache.

My questions
What other procedures other than those mentioned do I need to follow?
Are there any cache’s in MSFS I will need to clean up?
What other potential issues am I likely to strike?

I have read this information online:
Install, Performance & Graphics – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

AMD Adrenalin settings/MSFS setting specific for AMD? - Community Support / Tech Support - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Any help appreciated.

I am in a similar boat and specs. I have not seen anything else that needs to be done. I have the same CPU but 1080 GTX, Asrock Taichi x570, and P5 NVME.

If I stumble across any other things to do I’ll add here. I don’t think there are any major issues with MSFS holding on to Nvidia code concerning your swap. Have you enabled resizable BAR on the mobo via the bios?

I should have my 7900 XTX installed sometime Thursday. Interested to hear your experience.

I am waiting for my 7900 XTX to arrive, should be tomorrow. I’ll report back when I have the card installed and running.

And yes, resizable BAR is enabled in the mainboard bios.

Well, the 7900 XTX is having no issue, however the 5900x is struggling. Ultra settings are dipping down to the 24 fps range @1440p. I will play around to find the perfect settings for the 5900x.

Run ddu.
Shut down pc.
Re/Re gpu.
Let windows install new gpu with default drivers.
Run SFC, then DISM.
( search ms help if your not familiar with these two )
Reboot pc and install new drivers only or Adrenaline package.
Delte rolling cache and select your graphics options.

I’d go ahead and set up Resizable Bar at this time also.
MSFS isn’t programed to take advantage of this yet but maybe one day. This needs a bios setting turned on, also in Adrenaline.

I’ll dump the cache, but I think I’ve hit all the other points. Thank you.

Thanks all for you contributions and suggestions.

I’ve got my 7900 XTX up and running with no dramas. Followed the process I outlined in the OP. I also completed a registry clean to remove any additional entries not removed by DDU:.

Flight Simulator started and worked first pop. At 4k I am getting 60-90 fps. Average would be around 72-5 fps.

Still got some tweaking to complete in MSFS graphics cards settings.

1 Like

I just upgraded to the 7900 xt, have a 3900x cpu and 32 gig ram. I have only been able to squeeze out about same fps as you with most things ultra. Had about 17 fps with the 6700xt and most settings on high to medium and have 1080p. Noticed GPU utilization was around upper 80%, and cpu around 25%. Is that about the best fps I am going to get? Really thought I would pick up more, kind of disappointed. I have tried a number of things to get more. I can say visually it looks better.

What does the in sim FPS counter show? Can you screenshot it and share?

The 3900X might be more of the issue. The MSFS FPS counter does not always correlate to the Windows task manager system resources screen. Where are you getting your CPU/GPU utilization info from?

Here’s a screenshot with the overlay from the Radeon Adrenalin Drivers at the top right.
Screen resolution was 3840 x 2160

Very nice! What settings are you running?

I’ve been playing with sliders and flying the 747 around KLGA to find my best all around settings. In the process I have found some interesting buys with the sim itself.