AMD Software Adrenalin 23.2.1 Discussion

Please use this thread to discuss the AMD Software Adrenalin Driver version 23.2.1.

Highlights

• Support for:
    • Forspoken™
      • Up to 7% increase in performance for Forspoken @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-524
    • Dead Space™
    • IREE compiler using MLIR interface on Vulkan.
    • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
  • Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs now have support for newly introduced streaming capabilities including pre-filter toggle, pre-analysis feature and CAML technology.
  • A new version of AMD Link improves overall connectivity across all supported Radeon products, RX 400 series and newer, so you can game from anywhere on virtually any device.
  • Boost your performance with AMD Software - read the latest blog HERE and learn how this newly unified driver delivers performance gains since Windows 11 first launched.
  • Game Optimizations
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-518
    • Up to 3% increase in performance for Sniper Elite 5 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-519
    • Up to 6% increase in performance for Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-520
    • Up to 7% increase in performance for Quake II RTX @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-521
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Hitman 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-522
    • Up to 6% increase in performance for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-523
    • Up to 19% increase in performance for F1 2022 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-525
    • Up to 9% increase in performance for DOOM Eternal @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-526
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Borderlands 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-527
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Hogwarts Legacy @ 4K using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950 XT and Radeon™ 7900 XTX, versus the previous software driver version (22.11.2 for 6950 XT, 23.1.2 for 7900 XTX) RS-530

Fixed Issues

• AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may fail to launch with the error message “Delayed Write Failed” on Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2.
  • Poor performance and load time may be observed while playing SpaceEngine™.
  • Corruption may be observed while scrolling the points shop in STEAM™ on Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Performance drop may be observed during Fortnite™ and YouTube playback with Enhanced Sync enabled on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
  • Corruption or game crash may be observed while playing Door Kickers 2™.
  • Missing or flickering textures may be observed while playing Emergency 4™.
  • Application crash may be observed when launching Baldur’s Gate 3™ using Vulkan® API on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Stuttering may be observed while playing Sea of Thieves™ on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
  • Corruption may be observed while playing Battlefield™ 4 with Post Process Quality settings set to high or ultra on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
  • White foliage may be observed while playing Hogwarts Legacy™ on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers on some multi-display configurations.

Known Issues

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Application crash may be observed while opening Premium Gold Packs in EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23.
  • Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • AMD Bug Report Tool pop-up or system hang may be observed after driver upgrade on some hybrid graphics notebooks. Users are recommended to use the factory reset install option as a workaround.
  • Corruption may be briefly observed when moving Netflix video between displays or minimize-to-fullscreen on some AMD Products such as AMD Ryzen™ 7 6800U​.
  • Certain videos played with Movies and TV may briefly show corruption when moving the window between displays on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Maximum encode bitrate is limited to 100Mbps for certain applications.

Important Notes

• AMD Link users running Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs will need to update to a newer version of AMD Link now available on various platforms.
  • AMD is working with the game developers of Hogwarts Legacy™ to resolve performance issues when enabling ray tracing.
2 Likes

No fix for FS showing trails with fsr on.
So sad

I’ll have to try this later to see if I can get FSR2.0 working at all now. Currently, if I turn it on, the sim reads less physical VRAM than the card has ( TAA reads correct), VRAM allocation jumps to more than physical amount the card has, and my GPU frame times go purple. I would be happy to have it smooth functioning with trails, if only to see if it’s a setting I want to use.

It is not fixed with this driver, but since it occurs on NVIDIA hardware too, it is most likely a botched implementation rather than a driver issue.

The massive VRAM overhead does not go away until you restart the game too, switching anti-aliasing modes is not enough.

I’m very disappointed with 23.2.1!

I’ve set my min/ max frequencies to 2620MHz / 2720MHz

and my 6900xt is dropping to 300 and 400MHz

What were you stress testing with? I saw similar results when using the Adrenalin stress test (actually worse) but when I stress tested with Furmark there were no drops in GPU or Vram frequencies. It almost looked like the Adrenalin stress test was broken. I have a RX 6800.

Furmark runs perfect, nearly 400fps. Frequencies never drop once. Same with GTA V, good FPS and frequencies never dip like in MSFS.

I’m not seeing that with the new driver on MSFS with my RX 6800. I’ll have some short micro-blips if I’m really stressing the card out in detailed terrain/airports but nothing like yours.

I just checked for it and it’s not popping up for my 6600XT. I’m not super concerned since there doesn’t seem to be any MSFS specific changes made.

The new driver did not pop up for me either - I had to go to the AMD web site to download it. Doesn’t make a lot of sense as the driver is listed as Microsoft WHQL certified. It’s been running very well for me.

Edit: Seems like my GPU doesn’t have to work as hard to get the same FPS with this driver. Also very smooth. The more I use it with MSFS the more I like it…

1 Like

Downloaded it yesterday, so far so good.

downloaded it, i was on 22.5.1 and upgraded to 23.2.1 (version 22.10.2 caused stutters on my system)
there is no noticeable difference with the new driver.
my system 5800X, 32GB RAM, 6900XT

dump question, but how to turn on FSR? (Adrenaline and/or within MSFS?) thx

The sim has to be set to Dx12, then you’ll see FSR 2.0 as an option in the anti-aliasing options after TAA. In my case it popped up automatically, but I have an AMD graphics card. I think it’s available for Nvidia because it’s open source, but not sure if you have to do anything special to activate it.

1 Like

I fell down the rabbit hole of trying to eliminate stutters again today. It’s a form of self-abuse I do every 8 weeks or so.

I’m probably getting my hopes up and next time I boot the sim things will be different, but with the new driver and DX12, FSR2 on balanced…

Wait forget it, the stutters came back.

I forgot to fire up MSI Afterburner yesterday. I was getting really smooth frame rates, thinking I had my overclock on until I noticed I was locked at 30 fps V-sync and not my usual 45-50 or more. Thinking getting the overclock going would make it even better, I fired up AB and started getting micro-stutters while also getting better frame rates.

After a little bit of Google-fu, I saw some people reporting Afterburner itself was causing micro-stutters in some games. I tried to de-tune my OC to see if they helped in case it wasn’t as stable as I thought. When that didn’t work, I closed it and went back to AMD Adrenaline and tuned a slightly milder OC than what I had in AB, and the fps improved while also remaining stutter free for the most part.

So looks like now I will have to go fine tune via Adrenaline to see where I can get. It also means not running two extra programs (AB and Riva Tuner), hopefully helping improve my CPU times as well.

2 Likes

I started with an OC from Adrenalin 2620 low 2720 high and it ran beautifully. It never cut out once, the small cut you see at the end was when I stopped the game.

2ra1