An OLD unaddressed logbook bug

That seems like pretty simple math to me.

How is it possible to fly from airport A to airport B without taking off or landing?

Flying multi leg flights will yield 0 takeoff notations but count your landings. The one instance Iā€™ve seen this happen was a two leg journey showing 0 takeoffs and 2 landings. Iā€™ve also seen what you are reporting as well no take off or landing logged for a single leg flight.

It is hard to understand what logic the sim uses for recording various events in the Logbook. Zero take offs and 2 landings recorded on my last flight, the one before that zero take offs and zero landings; flight times donā€™t seem to reflect chock to chock times but maybe do reflect airborne time, Iā€™ve never checked. Absolutely though, there is an historic problem with logbook entries. I have been in this sim since Day 1, flown most days since then, (around 90% Iā€™d say) and I have just 206 hours recorded. Not that Iā€™m too bothered mind you.

Hello!

Weā€™ve moved your topic into the Community Support category.

The Bug Reporting category is for posting suspected or confirmed bugs that other users are able to reproduce. Using the template is required in order to provide valuable information, feedback, and replication steps to our test team.

If you are not sure if your issue is a bug or need further input from the community, please use the Community Support category. If the community can replicate your issue, first search the Bug Reporting category to see if thereā€™s an existing topic. If it already exists, contribute to that report. Duplicate bug reports will be closed.

If you believe it is a new report, then create a new bug topic using the provided topic template.

When it comes to strange T/O and Landing counts, Iā€™ve seen pretty much any combination you can imagine. What inspired me to make this post was a flight I made last night that I flew from parking to parking, and T/O and Landed at two different airports located hundreds of miles apart, yet logged zero takeoffs and zero landings.

As we can imagine, thatā€™s impossible. And the programming logic required to recgonize such an impossibility is easyā€¦ even for me who hasnā€™t coded since languages now since long forgotten have gone obsolete.

Something like this, logically if not properly formatted to C++ or whatever MSFS was written in:

IF ā€˜Flight Startā€™ = ā€˜Off Groundā€™, THEN log a minimum of 1 T/O.
IF ā€˜Flight Endā€™ = ā€˜On Groundā€™ AND ā€˜Plane still flyableā€™, THEN log a minimum of 1 Landing.

That alone will solve the 0 T/O to 0 Landings logged flights, which is so very common.

Itā€™s just another example of just one longstanding problem that would seem to have a simple solution that is being ignored by those responsible to fix such things.

Another example (maybe Iā€™ll post about it, too) is the fact that KTLH (Tallahassee, FL, the Stateā€™s capital) has no taxiway lighting (in the sim, rest assured they are there IRL), and hasnā€™t since v 1.0. A fact that I have shared, officially through the proper channels using the proper paperwork, since the first week I got the sim (the day of original release), and repeated at least half a dozen times.

Naurally, I got one of those ā€˜form-letter responsesā€™ to the effect that the problem was ā€˜resolvedā€™, which does not at all even mean ā€˜resolvedā€™, but to this day, there are no taxiway lights on the field.

EDIT: I forgot to address your issue/question about logging time. The official legal way flight time is logged is wheels up to wheels down. Airliners log that automatically. For GA aircraft, we use the Hobbes meter (which MSFS planes are equipped with, though they donā€™t seem to keep proper track of usage, and seem to completely reset to zero if not on every single different use of an equipped aircraft, or at least quite frequently.

The Hobbes meter technically is ā€˜counting hoursā€™ anytime the engine is on, but at the low RPMs involved in startup and taxi (which is how a Hobbes meter works, itā€™s really counting RPMs and converting them to a close approximation of flight time, not the actual flight time itself), the ā€˜extra timeā€™ you may be legally allowed to write in your logbook is statistically insignificant at those low RPMs.

Iā€™ll take your definition of flight times Kev. Iā€™m ex (UK) military where flight times were chock to chock - back in the day of course. Long since retired.

1 Like

From my own experience in the sim I have deduced the following:

A takeoff will only be recorded in the log book if appropriate clearance has been given for the take off from ATC. (If no ATC clearance for take off is given then it is unlikely the log book will record a takeoff!) For touch and goā€™s takeoffs can be recorded, iirc, if the aircraft has been cleared for a circuit by ATC and slows below a certain really slow speed on the runway, before taking off again.

Landings only seem to be recorded if, again, the airspeed drops below a certain low limitā€¦ No ATC clearance seems to be required to ā€œlogā€ a landing.

Is this the way the developers intend it to work? I have no idea. The concept of wheels on the runway and wheels off the runway would make sense to me in terms of recording a landing or takeoff.

1 Like

I use this workaround to make sure my takeoffs from uncontrolled airports are logged: