Analyze every landing

Please add an option to evaluate every landing at every airport, and categorize them by conditions (e.g. wind/weather/aircraft). If they’re not on a scoreboard, they should at least be available to the pilot.

It would nice if this could be extended to other elements of the flight as well (e.g. takeoff).

And please fix the terminology: What is currently called “ground roll” is really “centerline precision”, and “landing precisions” is probably best called “touchdown zone”.

I disagree with turning in every landing into a competition by having a publicly accessible “scoreboard” for every airport. Private data that an individual can see about their approach and landing would be nice however.

7 Likes

Disagree. I can judge my own landings, as well as all phases of flight. And learning to judge your own performance in part of the experience.

4 Likes

I don’t think it has to be public. It should “at least be available to the pilot” (e.g. me).

A flight instructor judges your flight. You don’t judge your own… you may after you’ve flown a lot, but it will always be based on the past. Feedback from those that have more experience (in this case an objective algorithm) is always good way to learn.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m totally up for it being a personal experience - as long as the data is finely tuned, what is considered to be a “hard landing” isn’t some egregiously low number like 200fpm or 5 feet from the centerline isn’t “inaccurate”. It should also factor in the weather conditions at the time, which plays a huge role in understanding your performance - as you said, like a flight instructor would.

On second thought, this could be a useful part of an interactive syllabus. As an instructor, this is the first sim that has the graphics fidelity to potentially teach VFR pattern work, especially with multi-monitor support, and improved flight dynamics and controllers. The scoring parameters need to be well-chosen, and I can envision AI-based learning where subsequent lessons ‘learn’ from your mistakes and focus on those areas. The potential is huge!

2 Likes

I agree with that.

Things like that turn this into an arcade game and not a simulator. Big NO from me

1 Like

In the military, we had course training standards for each syllabus event, both in the jet and in the simulator. Some were objective, and easy to grade, such as final approach speed. Others were more objective, not easily measured, and required the judgment of the instructor. But from a training perspective, being able to measure the proficiency level of the maneuver was instrumental, and in no way did it ever feel like an arcade game. And as an option, it wouldn’t hurt to incorporate it in MSFS.

1 Like

Real pilots are pretty ■■■■ competitive, and how you fly is a big part of that. No one is suggesting this be mandatory, but it opens up the simulator for those that are seeking more (e.g. real feedback, measurable/objective increase in skill, competition) than just sightseeing and systems training.

Someone here said “I can judge my own landing”… I’m sure by that measure you’re better than most, but I prefer external feedback and validation.

If you plan on using MSFS, or any simulator, for actual flight training, it’s important to realize that landing is arguably one of the most difficult tasks for a simulator to simulate. There are too many dynamic factors and “feel” going on in a real airplane that can’t be simulated, even in top-end full-motion sims. What simulators ARE good at is pacing, procedures, systems, and emergencies.

1 Like

I use simtoolkitpro and it automatically records your landing rate along with your offset from center line and distance from threshold. Great way to track Allen off your flights and see your landing improvements. Great tool all around for managing your flights.

1 Like

I do love the landing tracking but I really wish it tracked every flight’s path without needing to create a flight plan to and from the same airport. I want to see how many patterns look!

I was looking on msfsaddons and, I found an addon that looks like would fit those criteria. https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/pilot-path-recorder
But its an external program, and it exports to Google Earth.

2 Likes

There appears to be a fourth scoring criteria that isn’t used; you can see it on the help page on the landing challenges menu (unless it was taken out by the last patch, haven’t looked in a while). I wonder if ‘ground roll’ was actually the measure of stopping distance originally, which is no longer used for scoring. Might be that the terminology is now a bit mixed up if the scoring calculation has been changed at some point.

I can select an airport as the destination without specifying a starting point to just practice landings in any aircraft. It would be great if I could get a score screen for every aircraft at every airport. This should be fairly easy to implement. For softness and side-to-side grading, it is the same for every airport. For the landing distance, it should be relative to the markings on the runway.

There are a number of good utilities that do this already so I don’t expect it to be a priority for Asobo.

But it also depends on whether you want it scored based on safety and comfort like a real pilot, or the gaming type grading that Asobo have on their landing challenges. I’d be happy for the former, but I have no interest in the latter so as long as it could be turned off that would be fine.

Is it possible to get an option so you can check your landings skills. Like when you finish a landing challenge. Sometimes i think i landed perfectly but i am not sure.