[Announcement] Miltech Simulations U2 Spyplane

Alright, now that we have released our most ambitious project to date, the CH47D, we are now ready to announce what’s next.

For the past few months we have been working in parallel on a secret project: the U2 Spyplane - a single-engine, high altitude reconnaissance aircraft operated from the 1950s, and still in operation today, by the United States Air Force (USAF) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

It was flown during the Cold War over the Soviet Union, China, Vietnam, and Cuba; and more recently has taken part in post-Cold War conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as supported several multinational NATO operations.

The U2 is famous (or perhaps, infamous) for being incredibly difficult to fly. Its design, combining the aerodynamics of a glider with a powerful jet engine, make U2s incredibly difficult to land (requiring assistance from a chase car), and cruise incredibly close to the coffin corner.

Miltech Simulations U2 Spyplane will feature:

• Two variants - U2R (analog cockpit) and U2S (glass cockpit)
  • A mission system, inspired by real-life Cold War events; including the missile crisis in Cuba and the Space Race; as well as modern events such as the Chinese Balloon incident.
  • Accurate modeling of the challenges of flying such aircraft. Accurate modeling of the coffin corridor.
  • Chasecar to guide you during landing.

For PC and Xbox. No ETA as usual, but releasing sometime this year.

39 Likes

Great news and good choose! Thanks you!

1 Like

YES YES YES!! My dreams are coming true!

Miltech + U2= :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Day 1 purchase and all i’ll be flying.

3 Likes

Great announcement! I see the U-2 launching most mornings here in the UK. I had a couple of chase car rides myself in 2020, awesome experience.

6 Likes

I forgot to mention that after the chase car rides I added Rob Barendregt’s GPWS v5 to the Area51Simulation’s U-2 mode (FSX). I then modded the GPWS to include chase car radio calls that I recorded myself.

I can’t post a link but if you search YouTube for ‘U-2 Dragon Lady in FSX - With Chase Car Radio Calls’ you’ll find it.

4 Likes

Thanks, that sounds great.

Yes, I hope they will add landing asistant too ;)! According news - it will be I soppose.

@LikedHare478430 this is very great news about Dragon Lady and Im glad that you will do also the older version. News was added on my webpage too, fingers crossed! I fly a lot in FSX on U2 by Area51 Simulation! It was geat time for me :slight_smile: , Im sure you will do it better as well :wink: .

http://yoyosims.pl/fsx-u-2s-dragon-lady-area51

1 Like