Another big patch. LOD still terrible compared with pre Alpha 1.6.x, which looked perfect

I have now had a chance at flying after the lastest patch, and I see your point. The drawing distance of auto-generated 3d objects is shorter than it used to be. I fully agree that it makes little sense to force that upon all users, and a new slider like you suggest would be a good solution.
I think someone just got a little overzealous in an attempt to improve everybody’s FPS. There really is no substantiated reason to suspect any kind of conspiracy or second agenda like some of those vented here. We know it can work, so I’m confident that we’ll get our preferred drawing distance back soon.

3 Likes

Indeed, they are working on it! Thx for the reply!

Check this out!

3 Likes

There you go! :smile:
Thanks for the the YouTube link. I’ll watch it later tonight.

1 Like

Yes I agree. I have also reported this to Zendesk with examples

1 Like

Agreed. Took a flight past San Francisco and the buildings looked like blobs until I got within a mile or so. Very disappointing. Maybe next patch will fix?

1 Like

When months ago I saw the first pictures of FS I thought two things:

• am I the one who’s dumb having more than 10 terabytes of orthophoto on the XP disks?
  • or who shows us these pictures will be forced to progressively reduce detail when the number of users will increase making any system, however powerful, a bottleneck?
    Sadly the second was true

Have got a solution for the missing Anti Aliasing and LOD.
Read in other forums that there is a file called UserCfg.opt. It can be found in the local cache folder of the flight simulator packages folder (for MS store or game pass installation).
When you set Sharpen to 0 in this file, Anti-Aliasing is working perfect again. This setting is 1 by default and this over-sharpening seems to destroy the Anti-Aliasing.
When you set LoDFactor in the sections Terrain and ObjectsLoD to a value between 2.000000 and 9.000000 the Details return. 9.000000 is the max value and shows all trees and details even from high heights.
Set this file to write-protect in Windows Explorer to avoid that your changes are reverted.
Trade Off is that the loading times increase and the FPS decrease a little. But it looks as great as in the first versions again!

1 Like

Exactly. It is false advertisement. I created a post about this and I was almost crucified. It is unacceptable by any standards and I hate seeing people defending them…this is a very dirty move, I do not buy the sim WILL get better…I paid for what was advertised as a sales pitch. In any other market segment they would be sued…but for a couple of dollars who would care…BUT they are making MILLIONS, and people want to disquailfy the complaints.

Have you read my post before? Getting trees and details back is just a setting in a config file. You can easily get it back. If you are really insterested in getting a better sim instead of just complaining, follow the tips here!

Ok man…pay attention, I was not replying to you…this forum replies differently, you have to read on the top right corner. Also, your solution may work for some, but for others it makes the game unplayable…LoD 4.0 already kill my fps, running on a RTX2060 Super, but in an old CPU. What other option we have besides listing the problems we face? Complaining? Yes, I run some other heavy games that does not get to my nerves as this one, at this current stage, does.

Asobo downgrading the graphics of this game (without allowing us to go back) is no different in ethics to Apple deliberately slowing down older iPhone models.

It’s deplorable. Keep making as much noise as possible on this, guys!

I don’t think this is a good advice. The next patch
will find write protected files and will block or, worse, partially apply. After that it will also be our responsibility if the sim does not work. I do not touch anything. And before any patches I also empty the community folders.
I am referring to ChrisM00001 's suggestion.

When you say you empty out the community folder, are you talking about the mods installed?

The next gen console, at most, will be packing something equivalent to approximately a 2080 Super.

Nowhere near the 3000 series or whatever Amd is about to launch.

I think people have good reason to suspect conspiracies around performance at this point.

Yes. You can simply rename the Community folder before applying the patch. The sim should generate a new empty folder. Many mods have not worked any more after patches, for example the A32nx.

So after a patch, will another community folder appear? Do I just move all the mods into the new “community folder”?

My addons are in this folder for me, and everything works fine.

D: \ Microsoft Flight Simulator \ Community

I can confirm that the new version of A320N Mod works very well…

Yes, thanks, I installed the new one. It works well, but for the moment I was not able to complete a flight plan due to CTD before arriving to the destination. Nothing to do with the MOD, I think.

The xbox effect…