Anti-Aliasing broken in VR after update

Hmmm I still have the shimmering, same as with the original SU5 update (menus and many buildings/trees, particularly towards the sun)

1 Like

It is a little bit better with the Hotfix 2 I guess. But not the same standard like simupdate 4. There is still more shine and shimmer…

1 Like

I’ve tested SU5 HF2 yesterday and my impression is that the AA visuals seem better now. If I were to describe it, it is as if before there was like a quarter or a half-pixel shift of something making the visuals less clear than ideal, and now all is pixel aligned properly.

However, I also believe the so called “shimmering” is due mainly to a bug I’ve documented:
[BUG] Shader code ‘viewdir’ and shadow/light rendering are inconsistent on right eye

Yesterday I’ve found this problem was still there, but with a slightly different angle. I’ll have to retry the very same aircraft to see whether they changed something specifically with this in SU5 HF2.

3 Likes

Yes it is definitely better with the second Hotfix. But still not so good like before the simupdate 5. The shine and shimmer of the buildings is still there…

2 Likes

I actually find the bad AA / shimmering to be quite severe compared to before in my G2. So much that I don’t enjoy flying anymore as the immersion and realism has taken a big hit. I can hardly make out thin objects and distant buildings and objects look terrible compared to before (of course its playable, but in comparison, quite bad in my opinion). My Nvidia Control Panel settings are all default and have no negative effect, and I have also tried installing an old graphics driver to no effect. I really hope Asobo acknowledges this issue and is able to fix it in the upcoming WU, as flying like this is not fun.

4 Likes

I agree, the G2 res took a bad hit compared to the clarity we got used to pre-update. It just doesn’t feel the same.

5 Likes

SU5 is horrible to the point I don’t even care to make VR videos anymore

4 Likes

I have two lenses. A Lenovo Explorer and an Oculus Quest 2.
The lenses and simulator are configured to be interchangeable with equivalent usability.
Aliasing is much more notable on the Oculus. As for the Lenovo, it only shows a little in the menus.

I tried to capture some screenshots of how the clouds still look really bad after SU5 even with both hotfixes.
They appear grainy and pixelated and start to vanish from the edges when getting closer to them, but in a way where each pixel starts bouncing around until it disappears.
It’s hard to capture in screenshots, and in VR it looks 10x worse. All settings are on Ultra with TAA enabled and NVIDIA Control Panel set to default values. I have tried fiddling around with all sorts of settings to no effect. I think I am setting this game aside until they finally fix it.

4 Likes

Yep had the same experience since SU5. Much more shimmering in G2

3 Likes

The VR experience after sim update 5 is horrendous compared to before. The scenery looks awful, the pop in is unbearable as it happens so frequently…just looking down the wing with my custom view I’m forced to watch mountains and cites instantly spawn into existence (never did that before Sim Update 5). I really hope Asobo plans to fix this because it’s just awful and it’s all their fault as they had it good before! Unbelievable that after 11 months we’re stuck with this disaster of a sim when it was working soooo well before! I’m not even flying anymore since it looks just so bad in VR now sadly…I tried three times to enjoy a flight and it’s just depressing and not worth it anymore. Please fix this Asobo!

10 Likes

I’ve uninstalled MSFS for the time being, I’ll keep an eye out for your posts(as we tend to share the same enjoyment standards🍺)and check in the VR section until things are improved. I honestly hope they give us a better render option at this point. I’d take the more FPS hungry render approach of SU4 over this new method. It has seriously ruined VR.

4 Likes

Within the constraints of VR and my system, I am not getting anywhere near the sharpness, detail, realism, grading or even the smoothness of the terrain that I had before SU5. Plus all the issues of no buildings, slow drawing, poor LOD and the aliasing issue in and out of the cockpit (the A320n panels look like early computer games). The terrain seems to get worse as the flight progresses too. Some say this is just server overload but surely that needs addressing, it didn’t seem to be an issue before for me. I fly a lot in the early hours / all night based in the UK. Had a CTD in an hour or so flight just now too. I rarely got those and have done long flights. It is broken for me in VR. This is with my previous settings or even higher when it will allow me. Quest 2, RTX 2060.

5 Likes

+1 to a lot of comments here: SU5 HF2 is worse on my system.

A few times it seemed better and most of the time it is worse than SU4. This is really something I don’t know what they are doing with it. It has been a year I can’t get consistent results between 2 sessions, from one day to the other, sometimes even during the same day even in rebooting the computer every time.

And let alone CTD that catches you right in the middle of “whatever you’re doing, or not”… Especially frustrating when you’re trying to do a flight of a certain length, paying attention to everything, and say the last turn prior your final approach and bang, CTD right in your face (in VR, it is really in your face in the form of a big black hole).

I’d like to send my sympathy to Asobo but Inconsistency and unreliability are definitely defining the experience in VR (and from what I read in 3D for many other people too).

PS: I shall add this is not a question of graphics here, or pushing more fps with the same hardware (which I can), it is more about the experience to the point you never know whether the game will fail on you right in the middle of the flight, and this doesn’t give much any envy to start a flight at all. I still do from time to time, but it is nowhere near the reliability I get with XP11 for now (let alone in XP11 I can use my Reality XP GTN and GNS, and with a VR controller).

15 Likes

Exactly my experience! Well said!

1 Like

Exactly, I’m trying not to despair but all those issues in SU5 are so “in your face”, from the broken AA and related shimmering (which draws the eye) to the jumping reflections (some persist even with reflections set to OFF) to the trim sensitivity broken with the clicking trim wheel, it’s a lot to ignore on each flight.
And for most of it we’ll have to wait for SU6 in many months while praying it doesn’t break everything all over again?
It’s like they had a beautiful if unpolished gem, and they took a hammer to it…

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that instrument texture resolution has taken a hit too. No matter how high I set Render Scale, even up to a point that it becomes a slide show in my Quest 2, the textures remain fuzzy. This was not the case before UP5.

Oh, and why on earth does the resolution of my various monitors dictate the legibility of gamer tags in VR. I have to run the binocular screen at its highest resolution just to make sure I read the names of my fellow pilots in VR.

Asobo, please higher a third party to develop a proper VR implementation. It looks like you don’t fully know what you’re doing. No insult intended.

11 Likes

My experience with the after SU5 was due to the drop down menu in VR.

I only fly VR and wanted the navigraph charts (that I pay for) to be displayed in the cockpit as I fly.

Well I had shelved the MSFS 2020 experiment for the past 5 months due to constant CTD and unsuitability in VR.

After 5 months, imagine my joy to discover that Asobo had put out an update (SU5) to solve all their problems (tongue in cheek), that navigraph had put out an “in VR” drop down box for my sim charts.

I was in heaven, as none of the 3rd party plane manufacturers can seem to get the navigraph charts displaying on the MFD (where they belong) and there are no 3rd party, reliable efb’s like avitab (in x-plane 11), that can render navigraph charts and moving maps.

Imagine how disappointed I was to find same old CTD unreliability of Asobos, the same grainy unclear VR in the cockpit (unlike DCS), and my navigraph drop down box, along with all the other boxes, shimmering and fragmented so badly they were totally unreadable and unusable.

Even dragging the box to full cockpit size, they were still unreadable - so no navigraph charts AGAIN.

I am not a programmer myself, or very savvy with the options, but I do know those who are.

Will experiment with suggestions above, but clearly this is Asobos court.

2 Likes

I am exactly this boat still unfortunately. I was lucky enough to get a whole new system, new tower so entirely new cpu, gpu etc same issue on the new system, AA is not being applied to in game menus and UI elements in flight. MSFS is just gonna sit un-used till its fixed for me as not being able to use the VFR map in game (awesome in VR being able to move it in the 3d space) means flying my normal light ga fun just an eye sore.

Ive been firing up some il-2 and dcs to keep me occupied in the meantime for VR Flying fun in the combat arena.

2 Likes

Ditto. Back to x-plane 11 until things improve for VR.