Anti aliasing needs to be improved

I’ve noticed a downgrade of TTA anti aliasing since SU5

It’s particularly bad on buildings and I’m also noticing it on trees when the sunlight reflect off them as well as other ground objects such as solar farms. The trees look quite pixilated since the update which ruins the emersion for me.

I know this isn’t such a big issue for those using 4K monitors, but not all of us can afford 4K or have the computers that can run the game on 4K monitors. For 1080p the shimmering and poor anti aliasing is pretty striking.

I hope Asobo acknowledge this and include improved AA in a future update.

What are your experiences with AA? Do you think it’s worst since SU5? How does it affect your experience of the sim?

Thoughts?

28 Likes

I can confirm this. I play 5K resolution, 100% render scale and everything maxed out (beyond ultra, where possible). That includes TTA, but the radio stack in the C152 is edgy and I can barely read the backup instruments in the TBM 930.

3 Likes

There is a fine line here, the previous TAA implementation made small moving objects leave a visible ghosting trail. Not only was this really ugly, it made it really hard to spot air traffic.

The current TAA allows you to clearly see air traffic but obviously comes at the cost of slightly more aliasing. I’ll take that tradeoff for usability to be honest.

1 Like

I don’t use air traffic but I get your point. However, I’d much rather have better AA on ground objects TBH

4 Likes

I know this sounds dramatic, but the downgrade in anti-aliasing is honestly ruining the game for me at the moment. I play at 1440 with resolution scaling at 1.3, and I can still notice it quite badly. I actually downloaded the Xbox version so I could test it on my 4k tv to see if it’s any better. It isn’t. A real shame because the AA was literally perfect before this update, and I didn’t see any mention of it in the most recent communication from Asobo :tired_face:

9 Likes

Your not being dramatic. I have barely touched the sim since the AA issue with update 5. I fly VR (Rift S) and the immersion has been destroyed by it. I am also concerned that it was not mentioned. This is also the case in another sim that I fly and the devs are ignoring it completely. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the next hotfix but it feels like a long shot.

9 Likes

No your not, I’m the same. It’s the one thing keeping me from playing the sim ATM. It’s a complete immersion breaker for me

7 Likes

Yes AA really took a hit since SU5. I hope we see an improvement either with the upcoming hotfix or for the next World Update.

9 Likes

Same for me. Since the Simupdate 5 the Graphic in VR is so bad. A lot of shimmer and shine (damage Antialiasing) in the sim. It is unplayable for me.

5 Likes

Do you notice it on the trees too? They look more pixelated to me since SU5. I try to avoid airports near or in cities because approach can me a shimmering mess.

6 Likes

Everything needs improving now. Its not been this bad EVER !
I think I might go and buy the a new Playstation and give that a try.

2 Likes

I think tree quality in general is lower than before. I looked at old screenshots and the trees were much more detailed than now.

4 Likes

Yea you could well be right. Somehow they’ve lost their wow factor - if a tree can ever have a wow factor. Certainly from a distance they look pixelated now

4 Likes

Glad it’s not just me.
I’m so beyond bummed with the graphical downgrades.

I get wanting to get better performance and get this on console, but not if these were the tradeoffs for the PC users also.

5 Likes

TAA worked extremely well before SU5. They just need to bring it back to that level.

10 Likes

Same for me. Visuals in VR are beyond terrible. AA is completely gone, everything looks like jagged, shimmery, and as if there is no AA present. Headache after 5 minutes. I hope the upcoming hotfix will address this!

5 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Seriously you liked the horrible ghosting artifacts? No thanks I’ll slightly more jaggies.

The ghosting is still there regardless. Now with just have jaggies and shimmering to go along with it.

4 Likes

I think you guys must be facing the issue that is discussed here:

1 Like