Any fix(es) for the bloated runway / airport lights when using nvidia surround or an ultra-wide monitor?

I remember in FSX there was a “light scalar” setting you could change when running on ultra-wide or triple-monitor setups to fix how the runway, approach, and airport lights get super blown-up when using widescreen resolutions, but I haven’t been able to find any fix for this for MSFS. I run at 7800x1440 and my lights look absolutely ridiculous. I can see giant light bubbles coming from airports that are 30+ miles away.

Kind of blown away that in an entirely new sim we have the same exact light scaling problems when using “unusual” resolutions, but apparently no known way (yet) to fix it? I can’t find anything here about it. Has anyone been able to find a similar setting to the FSX “light scalar” mod that we could apply here? I know I’m not the only one on an ultra-wide or triple-screens.

Here is a link to a GIF showcasing the issue and just how big / bright / unrealistic lights are on my 7800x1440 setup. Don’t even get me started about how bright and ugly they look at night! : https://imgur.com/9yeTQTR

7 Likes

same issue here, lights at night are crazy and bloom out the whole view, im too on a triple screen

Same thing for me…

I have the same issue with 3860*2160 4K one monitor

Man I really wish other people noticed this issue. It seems like if you run a resolution greater than 1920x1080, the lights don’t scale properly and the larger your resolution, the larger (relative to the scenery) that the lights get. It is so bad looking, unrealistic, and annoying, that I can not use the sim during night-time weather at all. I really REALLY wish someone would give me a hint of where I can adjust light scaling for the entire sim. I don’t mind poking around in the SDK or anything… but there doesn’t seem to be ANY mod similar to the “light_scalar” method from FSX.

Someone PLEASE help!! How can I reduce the size / brightness of airport / city lights in the game?

2 Likes

vote here:

3 Likes

Same issue on my nvidia surround 3 monitor setup.

1 Like

Having the same issue. Any updates on this?

Might be best to raise a zendesk report so that it gets onto the bug list.

I got the same prob with 2560x1440. Already filed a zendesk report.
Interesting, that it only seems to occur on displays larger than 1920. There is one option in the UserCfg.opt called “SecondaryScaling” that I have no clue about. Might test, if changing this to smaller than 1.0 has some effect.

1 Like

I know there was a way to do it in FSX via some scalar value, so you might be on to something. Please give it a try and let me know if it works!!

Punt this issue everywhere I can find it.

1 Like

I’m also eagerly awaiting a fix for this! Night lighting is just not as good as it might be, now.

1 Like

Wait a little longer, post patch and still the same.

fixmeplease

The new Windows crop thing is so awesome though, Win-key+shift+s and you can select only what you want from even full screen apps.

The most aggravating part of this is the lights are a repetitive value everywhere, it’s not like we want every airport hand fixed.

If X = >16:9 gosub smaller beach balls on all lights

1 Like

Hello, any fixes ?

Why are they even on during the day ? Thats an even bigger issue.

ASOBO This needs a fix ASAP
As mentioned above this also involves all lighting including everything from street lights to distant aircraft lights.
If it is in the too hard basket then unlock the configuration files and some bright spark in the community will fix it for you.

1 Like

To be able to read the direction of another craft by lighting rather than seeing a flying TidePod™ would be great.

Hey all. Just saw the sim update VI release notes and guess what I found!

“- Fixed blurry lights on ultra-wide/4k resolutions”

It’s happening!!!

1 Like