Any plans to avoid forced updates and allowing us to rollback into an older version?

ok i hear you but with this being for xbox i can’t see it more then just a game, but good luck

Hi, sorry but this is not entirely correct. It’s an hybrid application which rely optionally on online services such as weather and data that you don’t have locally ( your cache) but it’s very easy to use custom weather, manually cached region an no multiplayer or live traffic and be fully offline. Depends on the use case, it might be what you need.
I’m happened to be working in software development for 26 years now and have dealt with complex cloud side and client side systems. I very familiar with how backwards compatibility can be maintained and there are numerous ways to let us use an older version of the core sim. As I said in the OP, it can be made easier with compromises, (use local data only etc) but we should be left with the option to choose when to switch. There is simply no way to ensure that something won’t break for you once the update date arrives.

1 Like

You can disagree all you want, but that’s still doesn’t change the fact that this is just how it is at the moment. That’s the environment we live in. Just like every other MMORPG out there, it’s always online, and the client version has to be the exact same version for everyone. If you’re behind, you can’t start the app.

4 Likes

If you read my posts, you will see that this can be done even without maintaining compatbility to the live data. You can use the local cached data and you even have the option already to manually cache the areas you need.
It’s a clear decision that needs to be made, to let you upgrade when it’s the right time for you… the MMORPG comparsion is inaccurate as they are far more different then the sim.

Yeah, it gets a bit confusing since you’re posting the same thing in two different topics. But I’m going to repeat again, I think it would be a great idea if you would apply in Asobo as a developer. I’m sure they’ll appreciate your idea and what your 30 years as a software developer would bring to the MSFS platform.

If you think this can be done. Then let them know, and help them make it happen.

5 Likes

There are no plans to allow running on previous versions at this time.

The sim uses a number of cloud services that are synchronized with the sim (not just scenery data services, but also auth, profile, marketplace entitlements, settings storage, etc) and the team does not have plans to maintain the multiple versions of the large amount of backend infrastructure that would be required or take each service and abstract in into a cacheable model.

We understand sometimes that updates can cause unintended issues, but the team strongly believes that having the full community (which will now also include XBox) on the same version ensures the best possible feedback and telemetry to the team to get those problems sorted quicker, and avoids the user confusion of having multiple versions of the product running side by side.

Matt | Working Title

21 Likes

I personally think it would be a mess of a system to allow rollbacks for an MMORPG style game/sim, best to keep everyone in the same build and allow Beta Testers a special Beta Branch with that being the only other one.

A N Other Simulation (racing) has multiple branches and it’s pointlessly confusing to the point it’s worthless, stick to one and just hope Asobo get their act together with the beta progress and release builds in a far better shape, the onus is on them to do so and not on us to faff around with different build numbers.

The update policy of MSFS was a design decision and is well explained by Asobo. Changing this would probably be a fundamental change.

And, to be honest, after going through many point and major releases in P3D I have to say I’m happy about how it’s done in MSFS.

Karl

3 Likes

There are ‘update police’? That explains a lot :laughing:

1 Like

Hehe… typo: policy

1 Like

I did say it’s “mainly” for use online.
It is possible to run it completely offline, but I’ve never tried it and I understand it’s not obvious to m st people.

Regards
Steve

No, updates are why were seeing steady progress in the sim… And there is not a cat in hell’s chance of rolling back, you cannot have two different versions of the sim.

1 Like

Well Asobo’s original intention is correct, yes, we need newer versions for progress BUT… things are kept in a broken state… for too long now.
See my other post about lack of turbulence : Major issues with turbulence - seriously unrealistic!
Or my initial posts about the wind gusts being completely broken since SU4.
This is all with bug reports , votes and forum discussion and in the end of the day… still no fix. This is unacceptable state for those who wishes to fly under these conditions. The sim is more than a beautiful scenery explorer, there are many who prioritize flying with simulating accurate weather and aerodynamics…

3 Likes

You are very wrong sir. It’s a simulation and it runs well on the series x. Well until ASOBO breaks it.

And how does the wind gust issue helps if it’s online related even if you rollback to a previous version? It would still going to be broken no matter which version you’re running at.

The only reason I pine for the option to update is just simply that some nights I want to sit down and play , and instead I have to deal with a sim update, then checking any mods and third party aircrafts for their updates immediately after.

It just gets annoying and is a negative in the ‘quality of life’ department for the game experience.

2 Likes

The wind gusts are broken also if you try to set the wind manually! see the link to the issue in the OP. We don’t have gusts today at all!

You missed the point of @Neo4316 post, how does rolling back to a previous version change anything when gusts would still be “broken”? That’s the subject of this thread, rolling back builds is it not?!

Unfortunately that’s just part and parcel of a game/sim of this magnitude with modding support, the need to check after each patch is just “a thing” that this and other Sims require. Of course you don’t have to check, just get on and fly and hope for the best!

Again though being forced to update is so that everyone is on the same build, think of the update process like an MMOPRG going down for maintenance, it happens and you have to live with it. Delaying an update won’t help anything as you won’t have access to the sim as everyone else will be on the latest build, that’s the nature of this game/sim using the cloud structure for online play. All you can do is get used too it.

1 Like

First, if I could rollback to pre SU4, it would work as this is a bug in the application (client side).
Second @Neo4316 said that “it’s online related” and it’s not… that’s why a rolling back does help if you wish to use gusts.