Anyone figure out how to force MSFS to use more RAM?

Thanks for the link to that thread.

I assumed from your post that you were telling me that Asobo made everything all better with this latest update!

Have you made a bug thread I can vote for?

2 Likes

You are wrong :wink:

1 Like

Hello, My Vram goes up to 12-13 GB, would have to check the used Ram to give you exactly number. As far as I remember it was 5-7 GB additionally. But you are right the Ram usage is much lower, as well as the GPU VRAM is a little bit lower than before, I had upto 16 GB usage.

You can’t manipulate the RAM usage by yourself. It’s coded. They tried to get rid off the memory garbage as they told. So they changed some coding.

You can view the ram and VRAM budgets in the developer mode FPS window, since SU5 they aggressively stick to 6-7gb and most likely contributing to the new issue of nearby scenery pop in on head / camera move.

You can vote in these

However it’s still possible that they had to do this in order to release the xbox version in time, and pc ram usage will be optimized to higher specs in future updates. I mean, what they’ve done to how the sim uses the ram more efficient is only a good thing, but the problem now is that a higher spec pc isn’t able to make full use of these optimizations. But that doesn’t mean it can’t in the (hopefully near) future… It’s perfectly possible to have the same pipeline having different options in the amount of ram usage between xbox and pc. Alot of games that run on both xbox and pc have the same fundementals since they started this multi platform thing a few years back. So why shouldn’t asobo be able to?

2 Likes

No, they said there will one be one version for both. Only Vram usage can be higher due to custom settings for PC.

I thought everbody have seen “back to the future” :thinking:!

You must travel back in time and prevent the release of the first Xbox :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I thought that meanwhile everybody have learned the meaning of the word “optimizations” in a contemporary context. Do you remember when Volkswagen “optimized” its diesels? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:

That was roughly the time when problems turned into challenges.

Now come, phrasemongers of this world, let’s face the challenge, there is a lot of potential for optimization :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:!

3 Likes

Many games are able to scale their usage depending on the amount available in the local system, like msfs was doing last week

2 Likes

Or does it?

Readings are in conflict.

Depends on your settings.
Maxed out mine uses a little over 11 gig out of 64.

On the dev mode counter?

Task manager

yea, one is lying, question is which and why?

Probably settings related
Configurations between machines and settings can swing all over the place

Interesting with the screenshot above, the cpu memory used was close to the gpu memory used

its not lieing. taks manager and riva tuner shows using all ramm with os. dev mode shows the amount of ramm used by mfs only

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify my statement earlier and attached below this, when you check memory usage the Taskmanager Process EXE of FS2020 does also include the Virtual Memory or Disk Cache and a bit more linked processes so technically yes it will show a bit above 7GB but that includes Mem and shared Swap File System cache, but Developer Mode only shows used in game RAM and VRAM so is more accurate to the limitation. Also some others like After Burner can show total memory including System ie W10 etc.

Statement:

MS/ASOBO have limited RAM and VIDEO Memory in the PC Version to Match the XBOX! It is hard coded to 6.8GB Available RAM and 6.5GB Video RAM to use and no more. Does not matter how much ram you have 16gb 32gb… or Video 8Gb 11GB. You will not be allowed to use it on a software level of the Sim.
    I see people increasing LOD to 4, 8 and more but it all has to squeeze in to 6.8GB of RAM and just means more is swapped in and out on the fly. Then take addons they have to now fit in to the 6.8GB Memory footprint as well. So this is causing more and more popping and pressure on the system. If you do not believe me run FPS in DEveloper mode and I defy anyone to get passed 7GB Memory and RAM its impossible. So load up large addons and increase your detail and textures and more swapping goes on and pressure on the system. Its the good old Memory Bottleneck in the software due to it been limited. Also why can we not see the graphic graph in delveloper mode? because it is FULL RED HARDLINING 100% all the time at maxxed out. So all they need to do is un stop the RAM and Video Limit they have applied to the coding. Please check on your system if you are unsure or dont believe about this.
1 Like

So can we make a vote to get asobo to let us use our bloody RAM?

3 Likes