Anyone get a 7900XTX? If so how is the MSFS Performance?

DLSS3 is not just a software thing, it uses dedicated tensor cores and hardware optical flow accelerators on the 40 series cards.
So it could be that Nvidia will make it available on older cards, but results will likely be hampered by the lack of dedicated hardware for frame generation.

AFAIK, DLSS3 FG has already been made to “work” on older cards though, unofficially, by some hackers/enthusiasts: the FPS went up but image quality was subpar.

2 Likes

Yeah I got that wrong … not DLSS 3 itself but some major improvements associated with it

NVIDIA’s FPS-Increasing DLSS 3 Tech Is About To Get Even Better, Major Improvements To Image Quality In Games (wccftech.com)

2 Likes

Hi,

Could you please share your settings for VR setup? I windows settings, OpenXR, flight sim…

Performance is excellent with my 7900 XT (32GB RAM, 7600X processor).

I get stable 50 fps on the ground at ENGM in the Fenix A320. 200 TLOD and Ultra clouds at ultrawide 1440p. Devmode FPS overlay tells me I am limited on Mainthread.

It’s apparently a known driver issue, but VR performance is pretty bad. With the same situation and much lower settings I get only 25 fps with Hp Reverb G2 at native resolution. Hopefully it gets fixed soon,

wow. That’s not reassuring at all xD

Do you mean the VR performance specifically?
Cause yeah, that’s pretty disappointing so far. AMD has achnowledged there is an issue in their latest driver release notes so hopefully it will be better in a few weeks.

Also for VR indeed.
We all crave a card that is able to reach the 90 fps sweet spot in a proper VR setting, but for as cheap as possible.
Reaching that with high-end card is ok as of today, but what would be better is if a mid range GPU with a nice DLSS 3 implementation (or FSR 3 if it can at least compete a bit with it) could do the job.

Nowadays getting bankrupt and burning so much Watts is a bit discouraging. I hoped AMD would be our savior. It doesn’t seem to be the case yet. Well see with FSR 3 maybe. As i have little hope that a 4060ti will still be somewhat in a reasonable price range.

Also having a card that is not the size of a concrete brick would be nice ^^

2 Likes

This is only those with AMD design. All custom cooling GPUs are OK.

Guys with reverb G2, are you having v2 or v1? Do you have artifacts when enabling FSR2? Cause I’m having terrible “trails”

I have the v1 of the G2. Artifacts from FSR2 is an issue with the FSR2 implementation in the sim and has not got anything to do with VR. I only use FSR through OXR Toolkit for that reason.

Yes, „only“ MBA.

Is FSR via OXR better? Could you please share your OXR settings and MSFS settings for PC /VR. Thanks,

I only used FSR in VR as needed some frame boost there - thus noticed only in VR :slight_smile: . Regular 2D works ok on ultra.

I am looking to upgrade my amd 6800xt to rx 7900 xtx with buying new hp g2. Has the new amd firmware 23.2_ increased your fps and smooth in Eg. New York City at 300’ ?

First of all, welcome aboard to the forum!

I think you meant to say the new AMD Adrenalin video drivers v23.2.2, not firmware?

This link has a bundle of good info regarding the 7900 xtx with lots of links to reviews, YouTube videos and the like.

thank you for your posts. they were helpful. yes I meant AMD adrenalin drivers 23.2.2… Thank you. I am looking to upgrade to VR. The best performance for price. 7900 xtx, rtx 4080 or 4090. If a 4090 I would have to also buy a new 1000w ps. Hp g2 or Pico 4 advice would help too.
I did just find a YouTube video by “VR Flight Sim Guy” with “AMD 7900 XTX FSR 2.1 boost!” that was with vr hp g2 reverb head set native resolution showing New Zealand world update 12. FPS mid 40s-mid 50s. was Very smooth. That could save big $ over the Nvidia choices. This is why I joined the forum and also to share with other sim lovers.
I have an AMD system Asus. 6800xt (to replace), rysen 9 5900x with x570 mother board,Honeycomb Throttle and yoke, peddals,power 850w. ,32" 4k 60 hz monitor.

There is a VR specific sub-section in the General Discussion section that might also be of interest to you. I’m not into VR, however, from what I’ve read the HP Reverb G2 works very well with the sim and is used by many simmers.

Just so happens that my system is very similar to yours so I’m very familiar with it’s capabilities. What I would recommend if you want to go down the VR path:

• buy the VR headset 1st and try it with your existing system to see what type of performance you get. It just might be good enough.
  • I would upgrade your video card next and while the 7900 xtx is perhaps not as good as the 4090, it definitely is an excellent choice with regards to your budget.

Let us know how what path you choose!

Thank you
Good suggestion