Anyone get a 7900XTX? If so how is the MSFS Performance?

It’s not corporate greed at all, it’s supply and demand. Why blame them and not the customer? Customers are equally at fault by your logic.

I got it to run now with Open XR toolkit v1.2.3. Render Scale set to 80% in Open XR Mixed Reallity.In Game Setting FSR 2 Balanced, Ambient Occlusion low and the rest i make Ultra Settings. That makes it running at 45 -50 fps with the RX 7900 XTX and HP Reverb G2 VR headset. its playable and makes fun but i think they can make it better with next AMD drivers

1 Like

To be fair, this is before the mediocre performance of the 4080. After the 4080, many reviewers were recommending just to spend a bit more and get the 4090. In some crazy cases, like the Asus Strix 4080, the price difference between the Asus 4080 and 4090 FE is just $50 USD, which is ridiculous.

2 Likes

FYI - Dr8auer made the following video on the latest AMD cards.
There have been a lot of reports on power mgt/temp issues, which I mentioned in an earlier post.
According to the tests in the video, it could very well be a design flaw affecting a lot of cards, that would explain the many thermal issues and power throttling.

Looking forward to AMD’s response.

I have an 7900XT Merc 310 GPU paired with an 5800x3d CPU, the performance is great I get around 55fps in 3440-1440 in Manhatten with high settings.

In VR it is a mess! Even on Helgoland island I can barley find a setting which is smooth. If I move my head I also get image ghosting.

FYI- AMD Confirmed the issue described in my previous post.

TL/DR:
AMD says the issue only affects a small batch of XTX cards, and that it is due to some vapor chambers shipped with an insufficient amount of water.
They are encouraging affected customers to RMA their cards.

Now the question is how AMD defines “small”. Of course is their small not my small but it will become good to know anyway.

Igor’sLab calculate some thousands within several batches:

Lets see who is closer.

Most anoying again that they know about the issue for weaks but tell use fairytales until some techtuber unveils the “secret”. Time for AMD to think about glasshouses, stones and credibility.

I’ve been following this issue because I’m starting to plan to build a rig (and possibly a home cockpit)… apparently the issue is limited to AMD-made cards with the AMD cooling design (with not enough liquid), but 3rd party 7900 XT(X) cards don’t have the issue because they built the card with their own cooling designs - is this correct?

Also, I see that there are now water-cooling options for the 7900 XT(X) from ASRock and Alphacool (and I’m sure others). Anyone out there try any of these?

But isn’t DLSS 3 (exclusive to Nvidia 4XXX cars) a game killer?
I mean, until AMD gives us an FSR somewhat on par with that tech on Flight Simulator it’s hard to take a stand for AMD. It means a 4070 or lower could get more FPS in FS than a 7900xtx for a fraction of the price and watts, isn’t it?
I mean DLSS 3 is game changing for MSFS apparently.

Frame Generation is interesting (trades off some latency for intermediate extrapolated frames, similar to VR’s reprojection systems). I do expect that similar features will become a standard thing across all GPU types eventually, but I’m not shelling out for top-tier GPUs either way on this generation! :slight_smile:

As for DLSS and FSR I’ve not been impressed enough with the visual quality, especially on avionics screens, to use either.

I’m still waiting for more of the mid-tier cards to come out before upgrading off the 2000 series RTX :smiley:

DLSS 3 tech* is coming to 2 and 3 series cards soon

Actually announced or unsubstantiated rumors?

DLSS3 is not just a software thing, it uses dedicated tensor cores and hardware optical flow accelerators on the 40 series cards.
So it could be that Nvidia will make it available on older cards, but results will likely be hampered by the lack of dedicated hardware for frame generation.

AFAIK, DLSS3 FG has already been made to “work” on older cards though, unofficially, by some hackers/enthusiasts: the FPS went up but image quality was subpar.

2 Likes

Yeah I got that wrong … not DLSS 3 itself but some major improvements associated with it

NVIDIA’s FPS-Increasing DLSS 3 Tech Is About To Get Even Better, Major Improvements To Image Quality In Games (wccftech.com)

2 Likes

Hi,

Could you please share your settings for VR setup? I windows settings, OpenXR, flight sim…

Performance is excellent with my 7900 XT (32GB RAM, 7600X processor).

I get stable 50 fps on the ground at ENGM in the Fenix A320. 200 TLOD and Ultra clouds at ultrawide 1440p. Devmode FPS overlay tells me I am limited on Mainthread.

It’s apparently a known driver issue, but VR performance is pretty bad. With the same situation and much lower settings I get only 25 fps with Hp Reverb G2 at native resolution. Hopefully it gets fixed soon,

wow. That’s not reassuring at all xD

Do you mean the VR performance specifically?
Cause yeah, that’s pretty disappointing so far. AMD has achnowledged there is an issue in their latest driver release notes so hopefully it will be better in a few weeks.

Also for VR indeed.
We all crave a card that is able to reach the 90 fps sweet spot in a proper VR setting, but for as cheap as possible.
Reaching that with high-end card is ok as of today, but what would be better is if a mid range GPU with a nice DLSS 3 implementation (or FSR 3 if it can at least compete a bit with it) could do the job.

Nowadays getting bankrupt and burning so much Watts is a bit discouraging. I hoped AMD would be our savior. It doesn’t seem to be the case yet. Well see with FSR 3 maybe. As i have little hope that a 4060ti will still be somewhat in a reasonable price range.

Also having a card that is not the size of a concrete brick would be nice ^^

2 Likes