Anyone using the Virtual Fly TQ3 or TQ6 throttle?

I’m thinking of getting either the TQ3 or TQ6 throttle but not many people seem to have them.

It would be good to hear from people’s experience using them before taking the plunge as they are so expensive!

I have looked at the Honeycomb Bravo as I already have the yoke and would be good match. While I admit you get a lot in one package, for me most of it would go to waste. I already the TCA quadrant for airliners and have the Logitech multi panel which works very well for Autopilot and flaps. Also I feel having the digital display is a benefit over no display on the Bravo. Not sure why they didn’t incorporate a digital display. So they functions I could live without which turns me towards to Virtual Fly products.

The quality and feel of these looks unmatched, even compared to the Bravo. The throttle levers themselves on the bravo look quite small too.

I have both the TQ3+ and TQ6+. Both high quality construction and they really are products for life. They’re obviously meant for GA, but if you already have hardware for airliners, that takes away some of the need for the Bravo.
I think the Bravo is a good compromise for people who don’t want to have a different TPM for every aircraft type. But if you already have something for airliners, maybe the Virtual Fly might make sense.

Does anyone else have the Virtual Fly throttles?

Do they work fully in FS2020? I’ve seen earlier posts saying the reverse detents are not properly detected.

I looked into them in the past. Do you think they are really worth their price tag? I think they look great, but the price they put on them, specially the TQ3+ which is far smaller than the TQ6+, but the price it not that different.

Do you think they also work for Airliners? Or would you go for somethhing else to fly Airliners ?

Thanks!

You’re right, it doesn’t. I fly very simple GA aircraft that don’t need the detents, so it’s not an issue for me. But that’s a software issue.
You can message them here:
https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/contacto
to ask when they might be fixed.

That’s a very personal question, and I don’t think anyone can answer that except you. For one thing, I’m a maniac and have a V3RNIO+, TQ3+, and TQ6+. That’s a lot of stuff to store when you’re not using it. Of course, it’s also very expensive, but I bought hardware that I hope will last the rest of my life. I also bought it on sale. Actually, right now, they are having a sale – 15% off most of their stuff! (It’s still expensive, but 15% is the highest discount I’ve seen on their stuff.)

I don’t fly airliners. It works with airliners, but if it were me, I wouldn’t use it for them, simply because the form factor doesn’t feel right.

I feel like my answers are less than helpful right now! Sorry if that’s the case – so much of it boils down to one’s personal situation.

Yes I noticed that they have a 15% discount too. But for me as I live in the UK I will then have to pay 20% tax and duty once it arrives in the country from Virtual Fly in Spain. This makes the prices considerably higher.

It’s surprising considering how expensive this is that the detents don’t work in FS2020. This actually makes them seem even more expensive and less versatile. For me they seem more suitable for professional setups in a full built cockpit. I’m still on the fence about this but I’m steering more towards the Honeycomb. The fact that the detents don’t work puts me off spending so much money on them as I only use FS2020.

1 Like

Very Helpful! You have their whole range :slight_smile: Impressive, makes me a little jelous!!

The issue for me is that VAT it not included in Europe :confused: When I added to cart, and it increased the prices by 23%, really became out of my reach unfortunately.

I would use mostly for General Aviation, but I would also want somethiung that fits a Boeing / Airbus sometimes when I need it :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the opinion!

1 Like

Do the detents on the TQ6 work in FS2020? This is currently putting me off buying one as I’ve heard a few people say they don’t work properly in the sim.

1 Like

They do work fine for me (TQ6+) with Virtual Fly’s tool running while the sim is running as explained on their website.

I’m thinking about buy tq3+ next blackfriday, but after read this post I’m not sure if finally it’s possible to map the reverse and feather to the levers.

As in this unit throttle and reverse share the same axis (as prop/feather) I don’t understand how it’s possible assign different functions without using an external application (FSUIPC)

Regards

I have the TQ6 and you are correct that with some aircraft you cannot map the reverse range without using a 3rd party program such as Spad.Next which I use. Asobo needs to do some work to provide better throttle and prop axes which recognize the reverse (i.e. negative) values.
John

If you waiting for a sale, you may want to consider the new Fulcrum throttle. More the equivalent of the TQ6 with a bit of extra functionality for much less.

And it’s not possible to map those functions using Virtual Fly utility? I don’t like the spad.Next’s subscription model. And as I’ve been using all the versions of FSUIPC since FS2002 I’d go for it. But, seriously, with this price tag… It’s very frustrating having to pay for another tool to get the throttle works as expected.

Sadly, due customs and VAT (as i don’t live on UK) I think it would be similar o even higher than TQ3+ blackfriday sale price.

edit: I didn’t know the fulcrum has 6 axis. But even if we compare its price (adding taxes) with the tq6+ blackfriday sale, I think won’t be very different.

1 Like

Just an option. Currently in their sale, the TQ3+ would still work out £180 more expensive for me and that’s with only 3 axis. The more equivalent TQ6+ would be £310 more expensive and with less functionality.

Can’t you use FSUIPC for the prop axis then? What you’d want to do is make a custom axis for the K event PROP_PITCH1_SET (etc.) with range of -4096 to 16383 (i.e. -25% to +100%).

Alternatively, if you have some software (Joystick Gremlin works and is free) that has fully featured response curve editor and allows you to put virtual buttons to specific ranges within controller axis you could use this method for the prop axis reverse range:

Full range throttle axis with reverse range is already part of the game control options (throttle 1 axis 0-100% etc.) and does not need 3rd party software.

Mixture/condition levers don’t seem to use a reverse range at all in game terms, but you’d need to edit the response curve to calibrate the position of the cut-off detent.

Thanks you for the tips. I don’t have the last version of FSUIPC for MSFS thanks to the feature of this one of creating profiles for devices. That was the main reason for buying all the past versions of FSUIPC.

I didn’t know the command “throttle 1 axis 0-100%”. If I understand you correctly, the range 0-100% includes the reverse too? In that case that would be enough for me. The feather isn’t so important for me.

It’s the taxes and custom problems. I suppose you’re living in UK, in that case Fulcrum is cheaper for you. For me, as I live in EU, the virtual flight option is similar, not much difference (and I don’t have to deal with the possible custom problems and delays).

Yes, despite the name 0-100% it’s actually a throttle axis -25% (or was it -15%) to +100%.

1 Like