Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

So I might have found some pictorial evidence that shows in even starker contrast just how well this “trick” at least can work. Take a look below and let me know if it’s as clear to you as it is to me. You may have to zoom in to see precisely what I’m talking about, and to make sure any compression the forum is doing isn’t affecting what you see, here are links to the pics:

Pic 1: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agjs4q22lK4elIMBlDUj-p9UEO7Ogw?e=d1rw2Q
Pic 2: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agjs4q22lK4elIMAPBEnFP4ARGJRkg?e=54FrOS

And here they are:

Pic 1. This picture was taken before the “200 render scale trick” was even discovered. It was taken in VR, and if you look at the pixelization, especially of the text in the PFD, you’ll see it’s rather bad.

And here is the pic taken with the 200 render trick in full effect. It’s one you’ve seen before:

To me anyway, the night and day difference between the two is obvious. OTOH, if you want to call me crazy, well you won’t be the first, and I am absolutely certain you will not be the last lol…

Kev

2 Likes

thanks for sharing! Would you mind telling the location and direction of the 2nd shot?

Ok, that’s a zoom x1000 for both images. I’m surprised by the contrast of the first one that’s why I displayed color levels range which confirm something is really different (it’s from the full image, not just the zoomed part). The anti-aliasing algorithm seems totally different IMHO, far better on the right with the trick…

Look like a 256 color image versus a 64K one…

@CptLucky8 I meant to post a pic of the Arizona crater, but I picked the wrong pic. But this pic is a mesa just a few miles away from it, to the south, I think. But even if I have the direction wrong, it’s a few miles away from the crater in some direction.

Kev

1 Like

@CodeLoran69 That’s some analysis right there! Does that mean that my pics show a definitive difference between trick and no trick as I suspected?

Kev

I take it we are looking at a photo through the mirror on your desktop. I don’t believe we get photos taken through the the actual lens of your HMD.

1 Like

I should not have been enough clear: this is not my pictures through the lens, those are the 2 pics posted by @KevyKevTPA 2 post above mine, zoomed both exactly x1000 with a paint program (paint.net).

I said 256 vs 64k color just because it look like it when you see the anti aliasing applied, both images are RGB 24bits obviously (I should have said 16M instead of 64K).

Edit : should be more easy if both pictures was take from same plane same angle more or less…

2 Likes

@fitness888 We’ve been through this before. Yes, it was a mirror, and no, I’m not going to stick my cell phone into my HMD to get actual through the lens photos of questionable quality. This is all you get, and if it isn’t enough to prove the concept that the 200 “trick” works, I don’t know what will.

Kev

I thought the conclusion was…what affects the mirror does not necessarily affect the HMD. If we were talking about PC desktop usage then it would be another matter.

I know at least one exception: for Oculus users seeing the trick work (like @tamalien) the OculusMirror.exe tool, inside :\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics directory, should display AFAIK the exact view of the headset. This tool take some resource so it should only use for testing purpose. If we can have a series of picture with and without the trick with this tool it will be great.

Saying that, the @KevyKevTPA pictures show a visible difference on anti-aliasing side, and he said it’s even more obvious in the headset. I don’t have any reason to doubt at all, I don’t think nearly half of the persons around here have some kind of collective hallucination :wink:

1 Like

I realize this has not worked for everybody, something that is as baffling as why does it work for anybody to begin with. All I can tell you is that those photos accurately reflect what I see in my HMD. If anything, the HMD is actually better to view in person, though it does suffer from the goggle effects somewhat, which are not present in the mirror.

I don’t really care if the trick itself no longer works after SU5, so long as what I see is at least as good as what I see now. Better would be preferable, and I’ve been told that I will be happy with what I see after SU5 goes live. I’m eligible to download the beta, but have chosen to wait for the actual release version to go live.

I guess we’ll find out in 9 days!

Kev

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up…in that case yes I can understand your point now.

2 Likes

Oh Man! I can’t wait to put my hand on it! you have more wisdom and patience than me :upside_down_face:

Are there details posted anywhere?

What drove my decision was the likelihood of losing some of my favorite addons, though I realize that is a distinct possibility when the product goes live on the 27th. I did not want to be without the FBW A32NX, the WT CJ-4, the Just Flight Turbo Arrows, WT’s amazing Garmin mods, and more. I could go on, but I think I’ve made my point.

I do hope that when SU5 goes live, most of them will be able to modify their mods to be compatible in short order. In fact, for just about everything I listed, but not necessarily some that I didn’t, like the Turbo Bonanza, I expect they will have Day 0 patches/updates. Not so for some of the less popular mods that I use and love, like the Turbo Bonanza. While it would be a shame to lose that particular b1rd, I still have the Baron as a fallback, and even the normally aspirated Bonanza that so many fly in sims and real life all over the world every single day.

In fact, I would categorize the Baron as one of my dream RL airplanes, but the price of newer models almost completely rules that out absent a lottery win. Perhaps one that is 20 or 30 years old might be accessible to me at some point, however.

But 2x the engines means 2x the fuel charges and 2x the maintenance. I used to think two dollars and change was a high price for AVGAS, but now I long for a return to those prices that I think will never happen. Of course, these days the only flying I do is virtual, so that comes with $0.00 in fuel and maintenance combined, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Thanks,
Kev

1 Like

The zoom of the compass is zoomed in more on the left picture, can you show the same picture where the picture is zoomed in to an equal level?

@NRosko, I mean no disrespect by saying this, but no. Those pics were carefully setup and frankly, kind of a PITA to do, and I even posted further in the thread another couple of shots that are even more definitive. If I stumble across some more photos that go to prove my point, I may share those, but in my mind, my point is proved and I’m not spending any more time trying to convince people.

They either get it or they don’t, either way it’s of zero consequence to me. Sorry.

Kev

1 Like

Hi there, i saw a significant increase in frame rate with this “200” trick at first. And then i found out that it should be something else! I think it must be the VSync Option in PC settings!
Try it out: start your VR session (i start in 2d and then start VR on Runway), then go to Graphics Options, change to PC, set the VSync to On with 60 fps, Apply that. After that, set PC VSync to Off and Apply that. Thats it! But i think you have to do it every time you start VR. With this method i can use 100% OXR and 100% TAA with the CTSL Ultralight in the nordics landing challenge. This with Reverb G2, no Motion Interpolation. Really smooth and this smoothness increases the visual quality, but for me not the visuals. Clouds Ultra, Textures Ultra.

PC: MSI B550-A Pro, Ryzen 5800X (no OC), 32GB Ram
HMD: Reverb G2 (only working on front USB, but good there)
GPU: Msi 3070ti Suprim X
Monitor: Dell WQHD

I think with this method it should perhaps be faster to lower all PC Render settings to the minimum possible (perhaps except the Texture Resolution, because the textures would be loaded two times perhaps). I set render resolution PC to 30%, this changes nothing for me in the HMD.
I also tried lowering the Screen Resolution of PC (1280x720), but i think this did not help. But i saw a significant decrease of the Airport description Texts in the HMD, but nothing else was degraded in HMD.

In my understanding the monitor must be rendered and also the HMD, you see that for example the menu will only be shown in the HMD and not on the monitor. So i think lowering the visual quality on monitor could speed up the HMD.
I also saw a big increase in consumed power (i had a power meter on the PC), with the vsync trick it had a peak power of 380W, compared to 200 if i remember correctly without it! I can also hear the increased power.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

P.S. just bought this PC only for FS2020 in VR - and i like it!

Kev - thanks for your posts and contributions so far! I Suppose that other people WOULD dowload the beta and test, would they be allowed to share results/info? Or is there an non-disclosure on every beta that is released?

I’m not running the beta. This is all SU4. But I think it would be covered by an NDA if I was on SU5 beta.