April 2024 Developer Live Stream Main Discusion Areas

MSFSofficial - Twitch

[Edit 1]
Changed the title of this post to reflect that the livestream has ended.
[Edit 2]
YouTube link to the original stream is here.

Here is a timeline of the major discussion areas. Not all of the questions asked & answered are listed below, and the timeline is approximate - the times & topics are as accurate as my in-real-time one-fingered typing would allow, so probably contains some errors & omissions. :woozy_face:

Elapsed PCT Topic
00 10:31 Stream Begins
07 10:38 Introductions
09 10:40 City Update 06 & Local Legend 15 Feedback
10 10:41 Roadmap
11 10:42 SU 15 Main Improvements
19 10:50 SU 15 Gx3X Touch Overview - Charles Wang, Working Title
31 11:02 SU15 A320 v2 Overview - Michael Standen, IniBuilds
41 11:12 Q & A Session 1
Unintentional Data Wipes / PC, Xbox code bases / FOV & pincushion distortion
48 11:19 Will AMD FSR 3.1 be added / Other areas in helicopter flight models being developed
50 11:21 Stutters on final approach / Memory optimization improvements & airport approaches / Way to move extra content to another drive from within the game
Chat Q: Something like a sim health monitor be an idea? Asobo know the best requirements - could this be expanded to software like knowing if a 3rd party addon is causing an issue with the sim code? simstaller points us in the right direction but if there was a health check option - maybe the sim could self-diagnose an issue or conflict?
Plan to Open world hub to more developers?
58 11:30 Shallow Water Update
60 11:32 Q & A Session 2
Historical weather / Bing aerial imagery / DX11 tile popping, DX 12 tile bleed-through issues / London & Stockholm improvements
69 11:41 City Update VII - European Cities II: Barcelona, Madrid, Nice, Monte Carlo, Porto, Stockholm. Scheduled for May 28th
71 11:43 Local Legend 16: Short SC. 7 Skyvan “Flying Shoebox” - Michael Standen, IniBuilds
76 11:48 Q & A Session 3
DX 12 tile bleed-through issues (more discussion)
World Hub - add default library objects / Liveries for static aircraft / New gound physics - why not all aircraft? / Sound system
Marketplace program requirements / Plan for Dev support for rest of 2024 / Plans for 2020 after 204 is released.
New SDK Livestream
92 12:04 Open Q & A from chat
99 12:11 SU15 now scheduled for May 7th-ish
103 12:15 RoadMap 2024 / Top Gun Maverick leaving Marketplace 05/25 (Will not be removed from your PC)
106 12:18 MSFS 2024 aircraft: Beluga & A400M - iniBuilds / Flightsim expo 2024 June 21-23 Rio Las Vegas
108 12:20 End
14 Likes

anything new?

SU15 will be the last MSFS 2020 sim update ‘this year’.

Focus will now be on MSFS 2024

2 Likes

Regarding the SU15, Neumann said they will need at least one more week. So it won’t come out next Tuesday.

1 Like

Did they said anything about the shutdown bug?

glad to here about the updated bing maps, 2023 visuals. That’ll be really nice. My next question is hoping to find out if photogrammetry will be expanded further due to the updated maps, and or if it will for another reason. ie Chicago west of ohare, others mentioned Dallas and Phoenix.

2 Likes

I have conflicting thoughts on photogrammetry, at least how it exists today. It’s funny you mention Chicago. I spent several hours “fixing” a lot of photogrammetry issues where many radio towers are just obliterated and where bridge after bridge after bridge has “water” flowing over the top of the roadway.

On balance, I prefer photogrammetry over no photogrammetry, but I really wish for a day where quality improves to the point where the things I mention are no longer issues.

2 Likes

Kind of you to put this together for the community, thank you!

The youtube video should be out tomorrow. Cheers!

11 Likes

The SKYVAN wohooo at long last! excited! Grew up seeing that plane! Our Military still uses it for paradropping purposes.

1 Like

I’d just like to express my gratitude that MS and Asobo host the Dev Q&A, and take time to answer questions. Thank you. It is reassuring to see the commitment to development. It’s easy to forget (or be unaware of) how complex MSFS is, and how much work it can be to fix one aspect or another.

19 Likes

Could the Top Gun Maverick DLC still be downloadable from the content manager?

1 Like

Not a fan of the repeated Europe focus on updates nor the lackluster airplanes for local legends.

2 Likes

They said it’ll be accessible still as long as you downloaded it from the marketplace originally. So yes.

2 Likes

Such a shame about the Top Gun DLC getting removed, I love flying the Darkstar for long distance travel and was hoping it would get ported into FS2024.

Also I’ve made a couple of liveries for it, so I’m going to miss being able to use those in the next sim. :frowning:

2 Likes

Who said it won’t be in the next sim?
Didn’t they said if you have it it won’t be deleted?

1 Like

I’m just assuming that since they are removing it for downloading now, they wont be putting any effort into updating it to make sure it is fully compatible with the next one.

Made a backup all the files I could find, just in case it is compatible as it is.

1 Like

Heh, ETA I don’t want to spoil any surprise as little as it may be, but now they’re talking Brazil so it makes sense

I think we - the community and MS/AS - would all like to see other areas of the world represented in World & City Updates, but not all areas of the world have the “high definition” data required to create them, nor may MS/AS be able to get the licensing rights to either create the data or use existing data.

2 Likes

Interesting that they’re holding back some PC features in the beta vs Xbox. Curious to see if some real memory optimization is going to happen on PC. Possibly some 2024 tricks? Even if they could only get CPU multicore use in this engine from ~25% up to 50% and open up additional ram use would be huge. ‘finding’ 512mb ram on Xbox means they figured how unlock or unload something.

I wouldn’t hold my breath
 my guess is any PC improvements will be in MSFS 2024
 and if they ever make it to 2020, it won’t be for a while. Just my opinion, though, as it seems they’ve said a few times that the current sim is at its ‘maximum’ when it comes to any additional improvements.