Are players asking too much?

Vulnerabilities. MSFS is running on an account that has the permission to mount drives. Anything. The user is running full screen MSFS. As a result, responsability when something goes wrong when MSFS calls an external DLL winds down to MSFS causing issues. This is what virus checkers do. A virus checker could break and seriously mess up your MSFS for good reason. Issue is, an attack that comes from the inside and can run for hours in a row… without the user seeing anything… gives opportunities. You don’t want these DLL to go e.g. tourist around on a user’s disk drive, or encrypt all your files and put some message in your ATC about bitcoins you are supposed to pay to someone before you land :cat:

1 Like
  1. So is Windows responsible for when i download a virus and run it?
  2. Why would someone go to the lengths of creating a FS2020 specific malware when they can simply put a malware directly in the archive i’m downloading?

Unless Asobo are going to limit where from i can download files on the PC i’m using to run FS2020, this is a hopeless battle. I don’t see how it is their responsibility to protect me from myself. No other game does this. Minecraft doesn’t, and you can’t possibly say FS2020 has more users than Minecraft. Assetto Corsa isn’t doing it. No one is sandboxing addons because of potential malware.

1 Like

I am stopping this CristiNeagu… :frowning: you are selectively taking text in my answers again and you answer within minutes, without allowing me to even do minor edits. I haven’t talked about legal responsibility. It is the risk of allowing some hacker to have your customer experience issues with MSFS. Call helpdesk, do support…

I’m highlighting what i’m responding to so it’s clear. And if you want to make edits, you can clarify that. I’m not looking for gotcha moments. I’m trying to have a genuine conversation.

Please don’t think me a contrarian, I agree with a number of your previous remarks. But on this occasion I must disagree.
“Very high levels of realism”!!! You must by kidding. Spend hundreds of pounds/dollars on scenery etc for P3d and even on a high spec machine it still looks like s**t. And I say this as a long time, exclusive, user of P3d.
And re the API, I for one don’t want it to be more open. I want all elements of MSFS 2020 to remain firmly integral to it’s core functionality. To do otherwise will just send us all back to the bad old days of having to do the ORBX two step!
No thank you.

@Cristineagru I find answering too quickly with citation impolite. You pin me down on text under change. Please put 10 minutes before you cite me, that is not a long time. You can start a submit, but take into account that it’s premature. Anyway, this same discussion about DLL’s and the risks involved we had elsewhere (here)

Back on topic: IMHO asking for direct calls is asking for too much :slight_smile: I wouldn’t bet on an open platform any time soon. Interfaces still change, documentation lacks… and MSFS was released early less than 1 year ago. If MS and Asobo would allow for DLL’s they are in for a (support, problem-solving) scenario they are not ready for.

Moreover, if MS and Asobo would release the binaries now, any company doing routers and GIS could profit without telling them. MSFS is a fantastic world renderer !

I have been quite clear about what i meant with “realism”, and i have also expressed my opinion about the differences in visuals between P3D and FS2020. Realism doesn’t just mean graphics.

1 Like

Ah. But the remarks by the poster who’s opinion you were rejecting, WAS talking about the visuals!

Regards.

@ArcanePython931 See, this is exactly why i quote the bit i am responding to, so everyone can see exactly what i am referring to :slight_smile: In this case, i don’t know to which of my posts he’s talking about.

@anon81017491 Can you please point out which of my messages you’re referring to?

add ons cost money and the plane will still act as if it hangs on a single wire.
thus far with MSFS I have spend less than a hundred bucks and thats it.
The discussion is not just about realism but the contention that somehow great realism can be achieved without extra hardware costs.
this is nonsense.

2 Likes

you were talking about 3PD right ? Previous sims?

Being a flightsimmer from the early days (80’s) i’am not complaining at all…

2 Likes

On a wider note and regarding the testy, devisive subject as to whether MSFS 2020 is a game for gamers or a sim for simmers, I shall attempt a de-escalation by pointing out what seems to me to be obvious:

With the analogy in mind of a car that has a top design speed of say 100 mph that then is quite capable of doing 50 mph
A flight sim designed as a game probably can’t satisfy the needs of the simmer.
But a flight sim designed as a simulator should not only be good for the simmer but should also be able to [settings choices accepting] satisfy the gamer too.

These two design philosophies need not then be mutually exclusive.
And I see - as a good business plan - MS/Asobo’s desire to shoot for both.

So lets us all be a little more inclusive and pro choice, eh!

1 Like

You got it.

I agree with that, but probably for different reasons.

Here’s how that will go:
User: “My sim is broken!”
Support: “Please remove all addons and see if it works.”
User: “Yes, it works now. Make it work with addons!”
Support: “Sorry, please contact the addon developer and ask them to fix it.”
They probably would be a lot nicer than this, but the outcome will be the same: No sort of impact towards the developers. And let me remind you that not allowing DLLs does not in any way guarantee that everything is going to work. Addons will still break, and currently and for the forseeable future, an addon crashing will take the entire sim with it. I don’t see people complaining to Asobo about fixing crashes from some other third party. I don’t see why they would if DLLs were involved.

That’s not required. It has never been required.

yes we will see how some of it runs on machines that are already marginal now.
It will be interesting.

you are correct. There is afterall a range of settings from easy to hard. Some more suitable to gaming than others.

1 Like

Here is me getting off topic for a moment.

@ArcanePython931, that reply button beneath the text editor is there so you can post your reply when you are ready. The onus falls to you to proof your post before clicking on it. You can even turn on the preview window so you can see your post exactly as we will see it. My mother taught me to never drop a letter in the post until I had read it twice, slept on it and read it again in the morning. Once it is in the mail man’s hand it is too late to rethink what I wrote.

If you are waiting to edit your comments until after you post it, be aware that many of us have already read it and maybe even responded before you have time to read and edit. I surely am not in the habit of going back after beginning a response just to check to see if you have edited you post.

Done. And edited.

2 Likes

Please explain to me why additional hardware would be required. If an addon required me to upgrade my computer, which currently runs the sim very nicely, then the addon needs to be rewritten. I expect that the full study level 767 will probably cost me some fps. Maybe I will need to dial back a setting here and there. I won’t be going out to buy a new computer.

1 Like

… and I won’t do that. Don’t teach me to reply on a forum, Willis. Administrators of forums set a retouch time, an interval you can change your submit before it gets noticed that you have changed anything. On this forum, that is 10 minutes. Everybody knows that… so any cited text within these 10 minutes is actually invalid to cite. And CristiNeagu crosses that by answering AND citing text (!) within 1 minute. Look at the times. And also (always) copying only small parts, to run away with something in some other direction. Not a nice way of conversation…

Sorry. The edit time is infinite, or until the thread is closed. When you post, it is posted. The ten minutes grace simply prevents the edit flag from being triggered at the top of your post. If your post was hidden or in some way ‘protected’, we would not be responding to it. Just make sure that what you want to say is what you post. Not hard.

If it was indeed invalid to cite then it would be disabled.