Around the world in a DC-6

Departing ENGM; we should get some good views of Oslo once we get turned around.

Approaching Olso, Norway at 5,000’.

One more view of Olso as we begin our turn to get back on route.

Norwegian countryside and the towns of Rakkestad and Vaterland.

Gothenburg, Sweden.

Valberg, Sweden.

Cophenhagen, Denmark (EKCH) on the ILS RWY 22L approach to EKCH.

Touching down. Quick stop over, and then we will be on our way to Stockholm. We will get some better views of Copenhagen on the departure.

3 Likes

Downtown Copenhagen on the departure from EKCH.

One last look at Copenhagen before we disappear into the mist.

The Swedish countryside and the town of Ljungby.

Is this Sweden or Minnesota? Lakes everywhere…

Overhead shot of Stockholm Arlanda International Airport (KARN). Replay tool has my engines are stopped, but in reality I taxied to a proper parking spot.

Welcome to Stockholm, Sweden. If someone could just point me to where I can pick up my Nobel prize…Trying to decide whether to carry on one more leg to Helsinki. Regardless, we will get some pictures of Stockholm on the way out tomorrow.

4 Likes

Since my Nobel prize was not forthcoming, we decided to continue on to Helsinki, since we have plenty of daylight left. Making a circuit around Stockholm before we turn back to the north.

Approaching downtown.

What a fabulous city!

One last look as we turn back to the north. Why does it look like we are descending? Oh, because somehow the auto gyro disconnected! Going to have to have a talk with the FO about what the call, “your airplane” entails after we land.

Off the coast of Finland. Love all of these little islands.

Hanko, Finland.

Approaching Helsinki, Finland.

A broad view of Helsinki.

Downtown Helsinki.

Touching down RWY 15, Helsinki-Vantaa (EFHK). Tomorrow we will pop across the Baltic Sea to visit St. Petersburg, Russia before heading north to Kitilla, Finland (the nearest airport to the ski resort of Levi). After that, we will continue north to Svalbard, Norway at 78 degrees north latitude.

5 Likes

Climbing out over Helsinki, Finland.

Last look at the Helsinki metropolitan area as we resume own navigation direct St. Petersburg, Russia.

Fabulous Finland scenery as we head out to sea.

Lots of ship traffic presumably heading out to the Atlantic from St. Petersburg.

Inbound on the ILS RWY 10L.

Welcome to the Rodina.

Parked at St. Petersburg-Pulkovo (ULLI). Time to go do some sight-seeing! We will get some pictures of the city from the air on the way out, since we will be flying north.

3 Likes

The Church of the Savior on Blood, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Downtown St. Petersburg; can’t seem to find any other landmarks.

Making the turn back to the north over St. Petersburg.

Last look back at St. Petersburg.

Or so we thought. The prop governor on number 1 went haywire about 60 nm north of St. Petersburg and the rpm ran up to 2500 and stuck there. l wasn’t able to control it manually through the governor box, nor was I able to feather the prop. Not a good situation, so we are going to return to St. Petersburg and have the flight engineer take a look and figure out what is going on. Eventually the governor started working again, so I feathered the propeller lest the governor quit again and leave us with a runaway prop. Even though we had to shut down number 1, it feels much better to be in a known state. Landing with three engines is no biggie.

Would have liked to have gotten a picture of the landing, but unfortunately Flight Recorder didn’t record the fact that number one was feathered. Oh well.

Ok. Time to figure out what just happened and get it fixed!

4 Likes

Fortunately, the governor problem was an electrical issue inside the control box which was easily fixed, so we are back in the air. Departing St. Petersburg, Russia, again.

One more picture of St. Petersburg on the way out. Kirov Stadium below us. Hopefully, Asobo will give St. Petersburg some love in a future world update (or a third party developer will get to it sooner). It is a beautiful city and it needs photogrammetry and hand-crafted landmarks.

Over the Russian taiga, headed back in the right direction.

Passing Kajaani, Finland.

Cruising Lapland and looking for reindeer and Santa Claus (or Father Christmas as he is called in these parts). Reindeer herds would actually be a pretty awesome living world mod!

Arrival at Kittila, Finland (EFKT). Somehow I think this particular airport has been SU5’d. Pretty sure the pink textures aren’t native to Lapland and the floating roofs aren’t endemic to Finnish architecture. But, at least we made it. We’ll do a Levi flyby tomorrow.

5 Likes

Love these world tours with lots of screenshots! Keep the pictures coming :+1:

2 Likes

Weather is delta-sierra as we depart Kittila, Finland. There is a low sitting just southwest of us and it is spinning moisture and clouds in. I guess we won’t get our Levi flyby after all. In general, the weather is pretty bad all over northwestern Europe at the moment. If we have a problem on take off, we won’t be able to get back in here. so we will have to head south to Rovaniemi, which is still holding VFR. We should be able to get in at Svalbard, but if not we’ve loaded enough fuel to go all the way to Archangel, Russia, if we have to.

Descending down to 2,000’ we got just the faintest glimpse of the ski pistes at Levi (looks like it was too faint to show in the picture). I guess that just means we will have to come back some time.

Still in the soup at FL200.

Between layers at FL200.

Finally clear of that nasty weather system! Out over North Atlantic.

A few peaks sticking up as we approach the IAF.

On the LOC RWY 28 approach, ENSB. The approach is bit offset; basically at the MDA you are on a modified base. Also, the glide path is a bit steep at 3.63 degrees. Overall, it is a bit of a tricky approach. I’m glad it was VFR when we arrived as it might have been challenging to locate the runway near the MDA–particularly with a fairly high descent rate.

A nice view of the airport as we touch down.

Welcome back to the Great White North: Svalbard, Norway.

5 Likes

Departed Svalbard, Norway enroute to Murmansk, Russia. Back into the weather system hanging over northwestern Europe. On top at 9,000’ and bucking some headwinds.

In and out of the clouds as we cross the Russian coastline.

Breaks in the overcast as we let down into Murmansk.

IFR at the airport, so we ended up shooting the full ILS X RWY 13 approach. Enter the hold over the LOM at 4,000’, descend to 2,400’ and intercept the localizer and glideslope.

ULMM, Murmansk Airport. Tomorrow, we will hopefully be able to fly by Polyarny and (hopefully) see the nuclear sub graveyard…

5 Likes

Lovely cloudscapes on the way to Murmansk!

1 Like

I really love this series. It actually inspired me to do the same with my DC6, so I just started KLAX to KLAS. Keep it coming!

2 Likes

Are we being watched from the Murmansk terminal? FSB perhaps?

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder!

Passing by Kola.

Downtown Murmansk, Russia.

Polyarny.

The Russian nuclear submarine graveyard in Nezametnaya Cove, near the town of Gadzhiyevo.

Another view of Murmansk as we head back south enroute to Archangel.

Southeast of Murmansk at 5,000’.

In and out of the clouds…

Over the White Sea.

Some shots taken on the approach to Archangel.

Touchdown in the sun. Nice to have a visual approach after the last few days.

Shutting down and running the parking checklist.

Archangel (or Arkhangelsk), Russia (ULAA). Another great airport by X-Flight.su

Fun to see some (presumably) Russian aircraft on the ramp.

Ok, I’m starting to get a bit freaked. The same guy is now in Archangel and he is still watching us. I was only joking about being watched by the FSB earlier. Now I’m not so sure…Maybe overflying the submarine graveyard was a bad idea…

9 Likes

Taxiing out at ULAA.

Overflying downtown Arkhangelsk on the departure.

Somewhere over northwestern Russia.

Picking up some weather at 5,000’.

Russia is a big (and empty) country…

Navigating embedded cells without weather radar…nasty!

Free of the thunderstorms (for now). We still have 440 nm to go to get to Norilsk-Alykel, Russia.

Late afternoon sunlight as we skim the tops.

Norilsk-Alykel (UOOO), Russia.

We are going to head into the terminal and hopefully somebody can direct us to a good hotel for the night. Next stop: Krasnoyarsk–just because it is another X-Flight.su airport.

Thankfully, the terminal seems devoid of possible FSB agents! I

Maybe I spoke too soon. On our way out of the terminal, we noticed several men, all of whom look eerily like the men we saw at our previous two stops. My charts said, “For Russian users or emergency only,” so I suppose we could be in trouble. However, the controllers spoke English and nobody gave us any grief. Still, if we aren’t back tomorrow, you’ll know that these guys are FSB and they hauled us off to the gulag. On the bright side if that happens, we are already in Siberia so at least we won’t have to travel far!

5 Likes

Well, nobody came to haul us off in the middle of the night, so I guess we are safe. Getting the engines fired up so we can depart Alykel and I happened to notice the Russian transport aircraft parked on the apron to the north. Pretty cool!

So long Norilsk-Alykel!

A small aircraft over a vast country. BTW, I just realized that we are in Asia now, since we are east of the Ural Mountains. We bypassed them to the north yesterday, but we will cross them tomorrow on the way to Saratov-Gagarin.

Lake Khantayskoye.

Miles and miles of taiga, rivers and lakes.

Crossing the Podkammenaya Tunguska river. There is a VOR, a couple of NDBs, and not much else near here.

Clouds have come down, but the weather isn’t too bad yet. Krasnoyarsk was forecasting fog and a vertical visibility of 200’ earlier, but it supposed to be lifting up a bit about now. Hopefully, we will be able to get in as I’m looking forward to seeing that airport.

Thirty miles out, weather is looking about as forecast. Rain showers and thunder bumpers, but hopefully the fog has been blown out and the ceilings have lifted a bit.

Well, not so much. Ceiling was above minimums, but just. I was so busy flying the ILS that I forgot to take over the throttles from the flight engineer and didn’t realize it until about 200’ AGL. Anyway, crisis averted and we made it down safe, rolling the length of the runway to get to the apron.

Parked in front of the main terminal in Krasnoyarsk, Russia (UNKL).

A more expansive shot of the airport, as the fog banks move in and out.

And once again, we have our FSB minders surveilling us, but by now it no longer fazes us.

Looking west down the apron.

The air cargo area on the west end, along with a bunch of AirBridgeCargo 747s.

Well, we will rest up for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow we have a seven hour flight westward to Saratov-Gagarin.

4 Likes

Getting ready to depart Krasnoyarsk, Russia for Saratov, Russia. Just waiting for the oil temperatures to come up…

Oh, THAT’s where the control tower is. I never saw it yesterday due to the rain and fog.

This is a drone camera shot of the neighboring UNKM - Krasnoyarsk Cheremshanka airport (which you can see in the background of the previous shot). It is included in with the UNKL mod. Be sure to land at the right airport if you are flying in VFR!

Arghh. Once again, we lost control of number 3 propeller. The governor worked fine during run-up, but as soon as we advanced the throttles to take-off power, number 3 started to run away. Ran the malfunctioning propeller checklist to no avail. Also, tried feathering the propeller (which worked at run-up), but that failed as well. Taxiing back to the apron to figure it out. Not the way we wanted to start the day when we have a lot of miles to cover…

FINALLY, we are leaving Krasnoyarsk behind (knock on wood).
Once again, the issue was an electrical problem in the propeller control box that was easily fixed. I’m not happy that we ran into the same problem twice, but such issues are to be expected in a plane this old. I’m just glad that the flight engineer was able to get it diagnosed and fixed quickly.

Cruising along at 8,000’ over the Russian countryside.

Looks like some farms scattered about…

Brushing the tops of a low overcast layer.

Not all that much to see right now anyway…I do hope we get to see the Urals when we pass over them though.

Crossing over the Irtyish River, north of Muromtsevo.

Still placidly cruising along at 8,000’ and 243 knots over the ground. Haven’t picked up the expected tailwind yet, but hopefully soon.

Miass and the foothills of the Urals. Looking forward to passing over some of the larger peaks that can be seen in the distance.

Crossing the Urals as we traverse back to Europe on our peripatetic journey around the world.

Passing over Yuryuzan and Tryokhgorny.

Almost done with the mountains. I have to think that the Urals are a bit more impressive to the north, but still, it was fun to see them. We are 450 nm and just under two hours out from Saratov-Gagarin. Had to pull the power back a bit as the ponies were overheating. Running 33.5" and 2260 RPM. Getting 218 KIAS on the dial, and it is 50F up here, but we are only getting 235 kts over the ground. At this point we are between a low to the east and a ridge of high pressure to the west, so winds will be out of the south, which isn’t going to help us.

The country seems to be a bit more populated on this side of the Urals. The landscape is dotted with villages and farms.

Afternoon sun over Priyutovo, Russia.

Fertile farmland on the banks of the mighty Volga River. We will be following it on the descent in to UWSG.

I believe that this is the nuclear power plant on the outskirts of Balakovo, Russia.

Balakovo proper.

Touching down at Gagarin Airport after a very long day. Fortunately, the weather was VMC because we quickly determined that there was something wrong with the ILS signal. There was nothing in the NOTAMS, but if we would have followed the ILS in IMC, who knows where we would have ended up or what would have happened. All is well that ends well, I guess.

Saratov-Gagarin (USWG).

I like the architecture of the control tower. Notice the FSB agent watching us from the main terminal? You’d think they would have better things to do than follow us around.

The Russian controllers were very proud of their facility and even gave us a tour. This is the view from the control tower. Land-side, the main terminal looks a bit like a smaller version of Washington-Dulles. I would have gotten a picture, but the sim hung on me as I was going to do that. I actually experienced three or four long hangs late in the flight. Fortunately, I didn’t quit, but they were very long (several minutes or more). CPU usage wasn’t pegged (or even high), so my best guess is that that the main thread was blocked waiting on a synchronization object. I was going to fire up ProcessExplorer and look at stacks, but now I’m down and I’m tired so at this point I’m going to call it a night and hope it doesn’t happen again tomorrow.

Speaking of which, tomorrow we are heading back east to Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Looking forward to seeing the Tien Shan mountain range.

4 Likes

Taxiing out to depart Saratov-Gagarin (UWSG).

We will pass over Saratov on the climb out.

A few pictures of downtown Saratov, on the banks of the Volga.

Fairly monotonous scenery at the moment .

Crossing the steppes to the north of the Caspian Sea.

Passing by the Syr Darya River. We are cruising at 5,000’ and the engines are purring. Unfortunately, the winds are just plain unfavorable and we are only getting 225 knots over the ground.

Arid and desolate country…

Surreal scenery over Kazakhstan…

Stranger scenery yet.

Signs of civilization and the Tien Shan range in the distance. We are about 35 nm northwest of Tashkent.

Passing over a small village on the descent into Tashkent.

As we close in on Tashkent the settlements are getting larger.

The Tashkent Airport is right downtown. On the ILS RWY 08L approach.

Touching down (after a bounce) in spectacular Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

Only the default airport is available for UTTT, but the surrounding scenery more than makes up for it.

Tomorrow we are off to Tehran, Iran. Looking forward to more beautiful mountain scenery.

4 Likes

Looks great. Only problem might be getting 115-145 fuel in some places these days. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Nah, Shell Oil is underwriting the whole thing. Not only are they refining what we need, they are arranging to have it transported to wherever we need it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Making a quick circuit of downtown Tashkent as we depart for Tehran. We will fly over the Tien Shan and Pamir ranges on a much later leg, but I’m so glad that we decided to visit the beautiful city of Tashkent.

Over Tuzkan Lake at 10,000’. On the Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan border.

Still over Tuzkan Lake. This thing is huge!

Back in the mountains. Not sure which range this is…Nuratau Mountains perhaps?

Several towns to the north of Bukhara, Uzbekistan.

Despite the flat terrain, the colors are interesting.

The east end of Alborz mountain range in Iran. Setting climb power and heading up to 16,000’ to get over them.

Up at 16,000 with the blowers on high. The Alborz range to the left and the Caspian Sea to the right. Cruise power is set and we are getting 259 knots over the ground. There is a triple low in the region that is resulting on some very unexpected wind behavior, but we’ll take it! Very excited to cross the Alborz and visit Tehran. We should get good views of Mount Damavand and hopefully the ski resort of Dizin on the way in.

Even 16,000’ isn’t exactly giving us a ton of clearance over the mountains. It is amazing how the Alborz rise so quickly from the Caspian Sea to form this immense barrier. The big peak straight ahead in the distance is Mount Damavand.

Some north facing snow remnants, high settlements and beautiful views.

Rugged terrain as we approach Mount Damavand.

Spectacular relief between the valley and the surrounding peaks.

Mount Damavand.

The mountains aren’t getting any smaller as we head southwest… Looking for Dizin.

Spectacular!

Amazing how populated the mountains are.

Beautiful colors. I was hoping to find Dizin, but without having a good map I should have known it would be difficult. The effort was well worth it however.

Dumping altitude over Tehran now that we have cleared the Alborz.

Looking out at the Tehran metropolitan area.

Short final RWY 29L with the Azadi Tower in the background on the right.

Mehrbad International Airport (OIII), Tehran, Iran. Imam Kohmeini has replaced Merhbad as Tehran’s major airport, but the fact that Merhbad is located downtown makes it a more scenic destination.

5 Likes

Very inspiring, keep going!

2 Likes