Asobo's Top Rudder 103 Solo

A UK Microlight has to have a compass and altimeter for a permit to fly but in the US I understand it is legal. Also no licence, no medical, no permit to fly just a weight limit, top speed and stall speed restriction.
It must be great flying in the US.

When is it in the market place as still cannot purchse it?

It’s not listed as a aircraft it’s listed as a bundle.

1 Like

Thanks for reply under which bundle?

First click on Full Catalog in the marketplace than select the categorie “BUNDLE” on the left side and than look for the “Top Rudder 103 Solo” bundle. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for help sorted

1 Like

This BUNDLE thing is puzzling. If you want to hide your product and make sure people who want to buy it have a hard time finding it, just do THAT. That Vegas scenery isn’t a bundle either. It’s not two products. It’s a poorly used category.

3 Likes

You’re right. I think Asobo declares everything with multiple items to download as a bundle. With the Top Rudder it downloads the ten liveries separately. The Vegas scenery contains two packages with the airport and the cityscape. What makes no sense is to list the items only in the bundles categorie. If you look for a new aircraft in the “Aircraft” categorie you won’t find the 103 Solo. I mean at least they could list it in both categories.

1 Like

Is it free?

No it costs $9.99 USD or 9,99 Euro. A little less in british pound.

1 Like

I’m not sure I like it. I guess there’s no trim, which is not really a surprise, but for the whole flight, no matter the speed, I have to be forcefully pulling back the stick I would think there would be a speed/throttle setting where it would fly level, increase throttle to climb and reduce throttle to descend. but there is no such thing. No matter the speed, if I let go of the stick I’d create a tiny crater.

Is this really how ultralights fly?

Otherwise it handles a bit like the Bleriot which is a plane I really enjoy.

Edit: the two flights I took before making this comment were in the Alps (altitude) and in very windy weather. I have now flown it at sea level with winds around 12 knots, and it flew flawlessly. I like it for what it is; a slow VFR sightseeing aircraft with astonishing STOL capabilities well worth the 9 bucks.

1 Like

Is it markedly different to the Aerosoft 103?

I used to do annual inspections for the UK Permit to Fly system and although most had a trim tab on the elevator, one design just had a bungee cord that effectively did the same as holding the stick back a little bit as you describe.

While I partially aggree with you about not being able to let the stick loose for too long, in my settings it flies nearly level at full throttle (it even climbs a bit) and 50% fuel in the tanks.
It seems, it has to be flown full throttle all the time, anyway, as the thing produces so much drag that flying level at 50% throttle is already at the edge of the curve.

7500 rpm flies level for me.

If anyone wants a challenging VR flight in the solo over some beautiful terrain, I highly recommend LFPS using live weather. She struggles a bit at that altitude without any mixture control but that’s just part of the fun! :wink:

I’ll try that, thanks

As others have indicated the plane flies approximately level on full throttle, the prevailing wind will have a massive effect on the ability to climb on not.
I actually use a range of throttle settings when flying and to lose altitude fast (ish) reduce revs to no prop rotation and you can just point the nose straight down.
Quirky but fun.
LFPS was where my first flight with it occurred, take off took a couple of tries :slight_smile:

Another thing to keep in mind is that altitude affects the engine performance – in the 500-1000ft AGL range over coastal California (near sea level) I get level flight at 7500 rpm, but around Salt Lake City (elevation 4,231ft) I have to pull the stick gently back even at 7780 rpm (full throttle).

There’s no mixture control on the engine, and my simulator mixture lever dutifully does nothing. :wink: Does anyone know if mixture would be tuneable on the ground in real life, if you were going to fly in a higher-elevation area?

I’m just curious. :slight_smile:

[UPDATE: I checked the engine documentation and there aren’t really altitude-specific directions but the fuel-air mixture is adjustable by calibrating the carburetor (but this means digging into the engine and adjusting a screw, and should only be done by a qualified mechanic). That may improve real-life performance at higher altitudes if suitably calibrated.]

1 Like

I just flew it again and now happy with it. I think my problem was that I was too high. I was in the Alps.

1 Like