ATC Assigns Wrong Runways with Wind Direction

Most of the time the take off runway is okay. It started after the first patch I guess.

So take off, and landing, are via the opposite ends of the same runway i.e. landing tailwind, and take off headwind? Can’t say I’ve seen that.

Exactly, but not at the same Airport starting with headwind on one Airport, landing with tailwind on another.

I believe it does indeed use METAR data but probably with some delay.

On the other hand I have made quite the opposite experience: a change of wind direction between planning the flight and approaching the destination which would have made a runway change necessary in the real world tour. After re-checking I realized that ATC had more recent info.

As far as I know, sudden runway switching happens a lot on some aerodromes. If I’m not wrong, KJFK and EHAM are two of these.

I think MSFS ATC should use holding patterns when switching runways due to weather.

I have this drama too. I think some airports are just messed up. YSBK (Bankstown GA airport in Sydney), seems to always have the active runway back-to-front with the wind conditions. Frustrating.

Same here!
By the way I saw many simmers who abdicate ATC instructions anyways and landed with a huge tailwind which I don’t understant ? :woozy_face: :thinking: How many Go/Around I did so far! Good training at least! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :smirk:

Yup. Because many people don’t care. They should care when activating the “most realistic experience” setting, though, as “everybody just does what they want” is barely realistic.

1 Like

I second that 100%!

1 Like

ATC is clearing me to land on runways that don’t even exist. Ëxpect vetors visual runway 28 approach"only problem is that there isn’t runway 28, only 23 and 05. So dumb

Double check that you are communicating with the right ATC. I have had a couple of occasions where I ended up on the wrong frequency, because I tune manually with the Saitek radio panel.

I have also had it happen to me when I have clicked with the mouse while monitoring the nearest airport list. As you fly, this list can shift, and cause you to click the wrong one.

At the top of the ATC window, it will show you the name of the tower you are communicating with, so check that matches the airport you need.

Yeah definitely communicating with the right ATC. I will even go in to "choose different approach"in the ATC menu, click the correct run way 23, and then they will announce for me to land on 28. Very strange.

1 Like

ATC gives wrong departure runways considering the wind direction, the windsocks are all facing the wrong direction, metar says a completely different wind direction and speed than what the sim says using live weathr, ATC wont change the runway when i manually set the wind to a completely different direction, rex weather force doesnt change the wind direction and ATC does not pay attention to any changes.
Am I just seeing things or is this all known issues???

3 Likes

This sounds like an issue with the third party addon. If you’re still experiencing the mentioned issues without the addon, it’s worth sending in a Zendesk report so that it can be prioritized accordingly.

1 Like

no, i only tried this same thing with rex after i couldnt get the wind to change with all default settings, this happens no matter what i do
 atc will tell me to depart on rw27 with the wind coming from 090, tell me thats rexs problem, when im not even running rex
i only use rex at certain times to test, but this has NOTHIN to do with REX

I’m not using any add-ons and I see the same thing. Just flew LXGB to GMTN and have a 54 knot wing at 254 hdg and tower wants me to land 06. Even the ATIS had the wind 275 at 54. At least ATC should be giving correct runways. Can’t finish flight now. What?

In all of the MSFS places i have been flying since i bought it, the wind is not used correctly for ATC to send me to the right runway, if i set the pdf in the Daher i do get the right wind direction and speed, but ATC still gives me the runway 28 to land with wind coming from 105 with 19 knots, that on the small island of saint Maarten, with hills just before runway 28, is not nice to land, i think a bigger plane will overshoot. Also ATC doesn’t call out the numbers correctly anymore, since update 1 or 2 ATC says O-N-E 24 when 124 should be the number.

this is a HUGE problem
must be in the actual code because its the same thing everytime. more people need to get on this wagon, because it severely affects the quality of the flight. LANDING WITH THE WIND IS NOT TOLERABLE
the windsocks seem to be pointing in the right direction tho.

In my last flight ATC would assign the runway that was nearest to me regardless of wind. When I flew past the airport they gave me the opposite runway.

So they just give whichever is nearest to you.

I neverdid see this 
 Except 
 when YOU select a runway during planning fase !

So when you make a flightplan and you select a runway to land that will always be used no matter the wind direction

If you set it on “automatic” ( i think that the selectable word ) 
 THEN the atc take the correct runway ( always correct with me anyway )

1 Like

It is the same problem for me.
I have tried with different ways.

1. Computing my flight with Topcat. Actuel weather rcvd from NOAA. Starting MSFS and inform me different winds and direction.
  2. Start Rex and show me the same i got from TOPCAT, still other winds and direction.
  3. Starting without any Topcat or Rex. Liveweather not the same as in Topcat and Rex and ATC gave me wrong start rwy position.
    I think this is a huge problem, if you want to fly with ATC.
    Regards