ATC Assigns Wrong Runways with Wind Direction

Yeah, it always chooses the longest rwy available. Annoying on one hand, but gives a bit of predictability on the other hand.

MSFS needs a real-time ATC implementation with the pilots and control towers, all via voip. It would really be unbelievable, is that in the plans? It’s the perfect combination!

take a look at (google for) VATSIM 
 no need to reinvent the wheel.

2 Likes

Well done Cpt Obvious, stating something known to almost all, but not everyone wants to fly with VATSIM or in the areas they provide coverage.

Well „almost everyone“ means just that 
 almost. The question was, if some kind of voip based multiplayer ATC is in the works, which I doubt with a solution like VATSIM already existing.

And his/her question did not include any „I know and don’t like VATSIM“ 
 so no need to be salty about my hint.

Happy landings

I was being nice :slight_smile: Everyone has heard of Vatsim
in this topic alone it is mentioned a few times.
Voice over IP was probably not quite what was intended but rather voice command so that instead of pushing a button or selecting a response with the mouse you simply press your PTT button and “talk” to ATC.

Hopefully this MSFS ATC topic does not get drowned out by VATSIM (off-topic), like so many other MSFS ATC topics have.

MSFS ATC is assigning the wrong runways very often. And now that we have AI finally leaving the gates and parking to actually take off (SU8 beta), the AI is getting confused too, making this problem even worse now.

3 Likes

Today’s experience. Juneau to Anchorage in FBW A320.

Simbrief planning gave me take off RW08, land RW15.

Loaded up flight, set departure and arrival for RW08/RW15 respectively.

IFR clearance from ATC said take off from RW08. :+1: Good.

In flight approaching Anchorage, request ATIS. Message says ILS RW15 in use for arrivals. :+1: Looking good!

Anchorage Approach ATC: Cleared ILS RW07L :thinking: What?

I request a new runway and approach, ILS RW15.

Anchorage Approach ATC: Cleared ILS RW15, Circle to land RW07L :angry: No!

Me, land on RW15 following a TBM930, and turn off TCAS so my plane wouldn’t decide to abort due to traffic.

My observation is, that you actually can choose not only the opposite approach but also the opposite runway (if you don’t like the one ATC gave you) - at least on several (addon) airports. It seems to me this could be airport/scenery related. Some airport devs do something to make all runways selectable via ATC.

Setup, I’m at a parking ramp, ready to taxi

I have runways 07 & 25 available,

Wind is 270 @ 5

My choice = rwy 25

ATC gives me rwy 7

I taxi to runway 7 and the blue ribbon is pointing off into the grass opposite the end of the runway.

I’m a learner pilot but even I know taking off with a tailwind is not a good option. Stupid things like this really let the sim down. I’m trying to plan VFR flights properly, I get the weather, check the runways, elevations etc, look for visual references on my map and so on, only to get in the sim and be given the completely wrong runway :slight_smile:

I would advice to use the STAR/RUNWAY selections on the world map, prior to launching the flight.

It’s fine to select a gate for departure, just select your SID too and make sure you have the one with the appropriate runway. ATC will then assign that one for takeoff.

For arrivals, select (or confirm) your star and change ‘Automatic’ to the runway and approach desired based upon your flightplan. ATC will now be bound by these settings instead. Obviously that’s not ideal as you could still have wind changes that would allow for a runway change, but that happens way less than leaving it automatic and getting the wrong one all the time.

1 Like

I’ll have to study that as STAR/SID is unknown to me at present.

I usually just select the gate/ramp and press FLY. I try and find my target airport on the go and uses ATC to give me the runway etc

You can select the wind correct runway. And you will be cleared for that approach and runway
with circle to land instructions.
That does not require an addon runway or airport. Works with the default airports as well.

If you choose VFR flight I don’t think you can use SIDs etc - you don’t use them in real flight anyway.

1 Like

Just landed at Torino in the A320 (IFR from Berlin). Expecting a 36 landing I programmed in the STAR that Simbrief told me and everything was going great - until ATC gave me a visual to 18! As I was approaching from the north and the wind was 270/15 I suppose either would have done, except that everyone else was using 36 and a 737 coming the other way didn’t go around as instructed by ATC - hairy!

And no ILS on 18 so no autoland - wasn’t too bad, didn’t break anything!

1 Like

Thanks, that explains why i have not met them yet, i’m only studying VFR :slight_smile:

This problem is made worse when the option to select the correct upwind runway is not given at a particular airport. I must ignore the ATC’s instructions and land on the correct runway myself. I bet ATC gets steaming mad about that, but that’s too bad!

This is something way down the line, but use the word ‘practice’ with ATC in RL to use them in RL.

Maybe one day "practice’ will show up in the sim’s lexicon.

From memory this is because all you are doing is requesting a new approach, not a new runway. So they’ll happily allow you to choose an approach for RW15, but you’ll still need to land on RW07.

I don’t think I’ve ever been given the option to land on an opposite/alternate runway to one initially given.

I request both runway and approach changes, but only get the approach change. The main issue here I’m referring to is that the ATIS for the airport says RW15 is in use for arrivals, but ATC won’t let me land there.

1 Like