ATC Assigns Wrong Runways with Wind Direction

KEYW was in cost-cutting mode; Simultaneous Arrivals and Departures on 27 and 09. I am now part of an NTSB Incident Report (virtual). :grinning:

4 Likes

This problem happens all the time. I don’t get it. Should be easy to fix… That problem didn’t even exist in FS2004. Today again. I arrive at LEPA (Palma de Mallorca) on a VFR flight. The wind is VRB 2 kt. Fine with me, tower instructs me for a straight in runway 24R but at the same time he’s doing departures on 06L. ATC should use one set of runways. And, it should be the one that matches the wind the most.

1 Like

Many of us have said, they should just go back to the ATC of FS9 and FSX. That was not perfect by any means, but it was not so screwed up as this one.
I think now there is even again a problem with asking for a runway and approach.
No I don’t mean asking for the wind correct runway, that only results in a circle to land instruction.
I mean for example RWY 3R instead of 3L because it is the more convenient or the one with a better approach.
That used to work and now suddenly it would not even give the option at GCLP

LXGB today and ATC sent me to runway 27 for landing, with 9kts tailwind. I checked winds and flightradar24 and real planes were using 09. ATC didn’t even give me an option to change runway, only approach. Also during descent ATC was constantly changing flight level. Every 30 seconds I was being given a different altitude!

In game ATC works fine 9 out of 10 times but when it does not, it’s a real pain.

WADD today, winds 009, but ILS27 was the approach in use, but departing runway was 09. Makes no sense.

The approach in use vs the the landing and departure runway is possible in real life ATC as well.
For example if you only have an ILS on that one runway and nothing for the opposite end.
Then you might get the ILS with circling to land instructions.
But of course that is not what is happening in MSFS😂

1 Like

you’re fine, they’ll move

Well, I was flying from PDK TO KCHA at night. ATIS said landing and departing runway 20. I am approaching from the east. ■■■■ ATC told me to make a left base for runway 2???

There were trees at the end of the runway and I crashed on final. Plus, there was a 737 holding short of 20 for takeoff!!! WTH??

Disappointing that two and a half years later we are still experiencing this core system bug. The Community would very much appreciate an update from Asobo on the situation regarding resolution of this issue.

2 Likes

This is why i have now officially abandoned using atc within msfs i just fly silent and pretend there is ATC
yes it sucks and is unrealistic but then so is using atc in its current state. Atis is useless tells you both opposing runways are in use for departing and landing

1 Like

This still happens all the time with “live” AI traffic. Here’s hoping for better in 2024… :smiley:

2 Likes

Put me on my nerves when this happens.

I don’t remember if it has been discussed before but, from what I have tested, this happens because on the world map, once you select your destination, initially the winds are not loaded correctly. The algorithm assigns you a rwy that is not based on the actual weather. The solution to this problem is to zoom into your destination airport. This way, the simulator loads the correct weather and assigns you the correct runway.

But, if during the flight the weather changes, and therefore also the active runway, ATC will keep the one selected on the world map as active. So when listening to ATIS, it will indicate that both runways are active, causing the problems with the AI that we all know.

1 Like

Fixed in Sim Update 14.