ATC not recognising custom callsigns or tail numbers

Hi,

I have submitted a ticket to Zendesk (#94905) and am currently doing a partial reinstall, but ATC has just randomly started ignoring custom tail numbers, and other slightly weird related things. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Any custom tail number entered in the relevant window on the ATC menu from the world menu will be ignored and the default “ASGXS” or whatever is in the aircraft.cfg file as the “atc_id=” will be spoken instead, but sometimes this doesn’t appear to be the case either, i.e. it can be totally random, such as the name of the texture folder, for example, and the manufacturer e.g. “Cessna” is sometimes not spoken either…

This happens with and without mods. Very strange. :unamused:

Anyone else experiencing this, and/or got any tips? :thinking:

So much for a problem-free evening of flying… just when I had the time as well. :triumph:

Cheers,
Mike.

This is the reason why I leave the callsign blank in the ATC options and I edit the callsign and tail numbers directly to the aircraft.cfg file for all my liveries that I have installed.

Good workaround which I am familiar with from the days of FSX (in which both options worked reliably anyway), but not really how it’s supposed to work, I would imagine. There are still weird things it does using this (like not even using the “atc_id” option in the aircraft.cfg file anyway, and using something spurious which I can’t work out from where it originates) so I don’t think it’s working properly at all.

Having said that… I now can’t seem to sign in and use MSFS at all due to the Xbox server issues, so let’s hope it was something related to that… :neutral_face:

No… it has nothing to do with the Xbox server issue.
This is how the priority for the items in the aircraft.cfg works namely in Tail number or Callsigns.

1. The ATC Option from the World Map when you plan to start a flight takes precedence over everything. This means any text that you put will be used as the callsign or tail numbers and flight numbers too. If you leave any of this field blank, it will take the values coming from the next level down.
  2. The aircraft.cfg file that belong to your Livery. the atc_id is the tail number. And will always show with whatever value you put. This means that if your livery has a “hardpainted” tail number directly into the fuselage texture, the atc_id tail number will either double up or overlap. So you have to make this invisible by assigning atc_id=" ". Note that it’s NOT a space. Because if you put a space in there, it will freeze and stuck your sim. Instead it’s a valid character file that is generally blank/invisible character. The callsign and flight number will take from this aircraft.cfg when you leave the one at point 1 blank. If even this field is blank, it will take from the next level down.
  3. Aircraft.cfg file from Modded aircrafts in your community folder. So the atc_id, flight number, and atc_airline callsign will take from any modded aircraft in your community folder. This includes A32NX or any other modded aircrafts. If these are blank too. Then it will take the value from the next level down.
  4. Aircraft.cfg file from the default aircraft in the official folder. It will take the values from here.

So my suggestion here is review these values from the bottom up, make sure there’s no conflicting ones.

I myself, finds the liveries I downloaded, while they’re all awesome quality and very well done. Always have the wrong structure and aircraft.cfg files. So I end up with rehauling the entire livery. So that I only utilise their Texture folder. But everything else is standardised based on my preferred structure and the appropriate aircraft.cfg files. This means I use a proper callsign (without the all caps otherwise the ATC will start spelling them), flight number, and tail number.

In my system the ATC answer and out calling is OK. Also the number on my airplane. But the written callsign in the ATC-window is not able to write an E if it is called. It always writes an O!!! And this since August 2020. My airplane number is DE-GMW,
but the ATC-window shows always DO-GMW. But in time it makes me no longer angry, only laughing :joy:

But this is my point - anything entered here is not spoken at all, only the options in the aircraft.cfg files now. I can change the tail number in the UI on the world map menu and it will apply it to the aircraft as the physical tail number on the fuselage and dashboard, but ATC will ignore it… :neutral_face: It definitely wasn’t working like this before, as in it was working as expected. I think it might’ve started after the UK update. More testing needed but it has now been logged as a bug.

That’s interesting! I have had that before too… :rofl: I think in comparison the FSX ATC system this is only a marginal improvement in certain areas, and this is 15 years later…

Some further information, having tested some more (since I did not test completely thoroughly before). It seems that when starting a flight in the air, the tail number spoken is the one in the aircraft.cfg, but if starting on the ground (in the same aircraft, livery etc.), MOST of the time, the ATC options work as expected, i.e. tail number, callsign and flight number are spoken as set in the world map UI. There is the odd occasion, however, when it is still ignored and it defaults to the options in the aircraft.cfg file despite having not changed anything.

Unfortunately I think this is a known bug. Not sure there are any solutions but if you look around the forum you might find some ideas… unfortunately the ATC system is yet to be polished! :smirk:

I am experiencing the same issue where the ATC calls me XGS even though my custom tail number shows in the cockpit. Only happens when starting a flight in the air, not on the ground.
I thought I might submit a bug report but it seems it’s already been done.

1 Like

Ah well, at least it isn’t just me. I have narrowed it down to happening only when beginning a flight already in the air. Please do report it on Zendesk as it’s the only way they are informed about bugs, and the more people report it, the more likely they are to treat is as a priority. :slightly_smiling_face:

A few nights back I entered 1086 as a flight number and left the call sign blank. When I loaded in I was using 1086 as a call sign as well a flight number. And two days later no matter what aircraft I select, no matter if the call sign and flight number are left blank and have even tried resetting my planed flight and it seems to be stuck with 1086 as the flight number. Where in the heck is this info being stored? I have no saved flights or flight plans. I think tomorrow I will submit a bug report. This one is something I have yet to see mentioned here on the forums.

Yes same for me im stuck with a flight number too. I reinstalled the whole “official” (over 100gb…) folder, but still the same issue…

1 Like

Thankfully I am not the only one!

I think there was a workaround being posted somewhere that you can place your cursor in the flight number box. Then press the CLEAR/DELETE button somewhere which will ‘truly’ clear the tail number.

1 Like

Thanks, Neo! You know, I was messing in those boxes last night and they almost seem bugged. It’s like the cursor is far right and when I was inputting new text into them I took my mouse over to click close and everything I wrote disappeared. I also noticed that the call sign was switching over to all caps and made two words one word automatically when trying to rewrite what I had written but disappeared initially. I don’t recall seeing a CLEAR/DELETE button that comes up but I’ll mess with it again later and see if it does.

I used clear / Delete several times but even the box is empty and the aircraft has Callsign in the aircraft.cfg, the SIM uses a different one. It is one i used after the last update SU (Simupdate)

Could it be the case that the SIM rembers the last Callsign you used in a Stock Aircraft?

1 Like

I saw the clear command now when focused on each menu slot and the command for it is F4. I selected each row and hit F4 then Enter for OK but didn’t have time to load another flight to test and see if things were cleared or not. Will test tomorrow. Hopeful the F4 clearing corrects this! :crossed_fingers:

While in the customization menu focus on each section and hit F4 then Enter! After that call sign is back to normal! Apparently the sections being clear or hitting back space and enter isn’t enough. You need to hit F4 then Enter on each one then close the menu. So far so good now. ATC recognized my aircraft as United when using the livery as normal and used the flight number I assigned. :grinning:

And if i leave them blank after that, and put Callsign and Reg in the Aircraft.cfg he should pick that…?

For example the PMDG DC-6 has that in the aircraft.cfg for every single livery