ATC waiting to long to start descent... On latest update

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
ATC is waiting way to long to start descent to the point I have to constantly go around to be able to land… I have tried with making a flight plan from the world map, importing one from Simbrief… and even making on in the MCDU of the a320 and still have the same issue.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

I’ve been having the opposite problem. Flying the KDCA RNAV RWY 19 approach using VNAV using the WT G1000NXi, ATC was giving me descend instructions about one or two minutes before reaching the waypoints. The VNAV doesn’t start the descent until reaching the waypoint which is correct according to the approach plate. Meanwhile, ATC is telling me to expedite my descent! ATC did provide the correct altitudes for each waypoint, just a little early. The VNAV guided me correctly down to the DA and I made a successful landing.

FWIW, each approach is different and each approach is flown differently due to aircraft configuration, pilot skill, and weather. YMMV

Hmm… I miss the old ATC a few updates ago… Yeah it got annoying be told to descend then increase ALT… But at least it always descended me on time…

Same issue on series x

Cork to Stansted

a320neo

ATC tells me to climb to FL29, fair enough, seems quite high for a relatively short journey?

But it tells me to stay at that for most of the journey and then 20nm or so form destination it tells me to drop to around 2500-3000ft.

I just ignore ATC most of the time and just fly and descend to what I feel is better, but then you get pestered from ATC “ascend and maintain FL29”.

Please please fix this Asobo, its a really annoying issue.

3 Likes

From a quick flight I tried earlier I take back my comment above, maybe it is a bit broken at times, but I did a quick flight and ATC gave me good time to descend slowly into my approach, and eventually lowered me to 2000ft into Gatwick where I captured the glide scope.

I also fly the A320 and this is quite annoying.

It was bad in update 5 and is no different now with update 6.

Great job Asobo. SMH

I have been seeing this as well in a few other planes too. Yesterday ATC wanted me at 14000 feet about 10 miles from airport with intentions to land, in heavy storms no less. Good times… oh and on XBox

I have this issue a lot, and have found a great way of getting ATC to respond. If you think you should be descending just ask for a manual altitude change. They usually grant it then suddenly start initiating your descent you properly as if by magic. They just needed a verbal prod it woud seem!

I also found that not letting your co-pilot control the radio generally helps and also stops the bug where ATC stops talking completely. However it’s not practical because sometimes we all have to walk away during a flight. So maybe once Asobo stops worrying so ■■■■ much about stupid world updates they will actually make a complete sim for us.

I posted on another thread about the losing ATC audio bug. I agree seems to be Co Pilot ATC related, I hardly get it at all when doing manual ATC. It is however also related to Azure (the cloud service like many other bugs in FS these days it would seem)

Do this to get the a visual text (no audio) version of ATC back-

Change GENERAL OPTIONS->SOUND->ATC TEXT TO SPEECH SETTINGS from ‘AZURE’ to ‘OFF’ and ATC text will reappear in the ATC window. Sadly toggling the setting back to Azure toggles ith back to bugged state with no text or audio.

This is why I don’t rely on the ingame ATC. Unless im on the ground. I usually use a TOD calculator whenever i start my descent.

I have done that as well. It just sucks sometimes when you fly and literally hear nothing the whole flight. Mainly when at the airport. But not like it matters much since the default ai traffic doesn’t work 99% of the time. :joy:

Just FYI, the copilot induced silent ATC bug only affects the currently selected COM. You can set up Copilot ATC on COM2, and then when you wanna take over the radios after the bug happens, turn copilot off and switch to COM1. It will still work.

I have also this issue. After take-off in Stutgart everything was fine, the ATC send me to the correct FL, but before landing at Heathrow it still keeps me in FL250 and then few minutes before landing it said to descent to 12 000 feet and keep speed under 220 knots, after less than 30 seconds the instruction was 6 000 ft and less than 220 knots… There are no maps and charts in the game as it was for example in FSX, I don’t know the required altitude for ILS and the approach patterns, I can only rely on the ATC, but descent 19 000 feet in 30 seconds with Boeing 787? And this was not for the first time it happend.

Look at the altitude constraints on each star waypoint. Request altitude decreases from ATC instead of waiting for ATC to descend you. Ignore ATC when they are wrong, eg. descending below waypoint constraint minimum or last minute climbs on approaches. Aim to be at 3000ft 10 miles out from runway. Works for me as ATC is so buggy in this regard.

Thank you for the advice I found it also in the previous comments where you mentioned it. My comment was also intended as reminder to developers, that this problem is still in the game and it was not solved. It is quite strange to watch new content almost every week but old mistakes in basic game mechanics like vanishing flight plan in bush trips and other bush trips mistakes, bugged ATC and more mistakes are still present in the game which is almost 2 years old.

1 Like

The whole ATC is supposedly getting overhauled so perhaps bug fixing it not a priority. I don’t know. Seems like it takes ages to get one specific bug fixed so when you have many in ATC they may get parked awaiting a better overall solution. Agree though 20 months in it’s very annoying it isn’t fixed, but I’m at least used to it now. I just wish they’d stop repeating their wrong altitude demands all the time.

1 Like

Yes, this is possible and the wrong alttitude repeated by ATC is one of that problems which I had in mind, thank you for the information.

1 Like

Its normal in real life that we Gave descend instruction 2 minutes before the pilot starts descend for preparation on cockpit. My problem is that the ATC give me instruction to descend 2 minutes after the TOD, and after descend starts the ATC command to climb again due to STAR restriction, and in real life we now Thats a mess to give instruction to a super heavy plane to start a climb after a descend.

Of course this is a mess! I have had similar instructions from ATC. Descend then climb then descend then climb…. It is good ATC is giving you the correct waypoint crossing restriction.

Something is triggering ATC to descend before having to climb. It could be something in or missing in the flight plan. It could be something in one of the charts.

Several times I have a flight plan with two waypoint restrictions at 20,000 ft then 18,000 ft. I had put the cruising altitude of 16,000 ft in my flight plan. After crossing the first waypoint at 20,000 ft, ATC had me descend to 16,000 ft then had me climb to 18,000 ft.

I have to be careful with my typing. One flight I wanted a cruising altitude of 21,000 ft. I typed in 2100 instead of 21000. ATC had me climbing and descending throughout the flight!