Autogen airports too dark

I don’t frequent specific airports, I am rather the global exploration type. So while I appreciate your help, I’d really would like MS/Asobo to fix this.

2 Likes

Generic airports too dark at night. It would be nice to see a correction from the team in this aspect to make night flights more cool and enjoyable.

2 Likes

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post merged into this topic.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Default Airport Buildings (not handcrafted) are too dark at night. You cannot see the terminal or any other buildings in the airport.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Any Default Airport

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Create a Flight at a gate, and change the time to nighttime in the local area.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Sim Update 5

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I find the whole airport to be way too dark, runway, ramps etc :frowning:

1 Like

In Bugs list says “Planned” but does not have any information on planned for when. This is so frustrating. The problem is so old as is the MSFS and after so many updates nothing was done to correct this problem.

2 Likes

We can only hope for an update or fix ner year

1 Like

Probably my biggest complaint at the moment is the lighting at airports. It needs serious work. Look I get that Asobo don’t want to go around plonking down floodlighting at every airport but if you could at least upgrade the 2 watt light bulbs that seem to be in every taxiway light as well as the aircraft then it would be appreciated!!

Just did a night departure from KATW and literally couldn’t see more than 3 cms in front of me. Ended up on the grass as it was impossible to see the edge of the apron. And the taxiway lights, a bit of brightness, bloom, glow, something… anything would be nice. Looks just so dull and lifeless right now!!

1 Like

Is it the lights too weak or the night too dark??

I find night flying very hard as it just seems way too dark in general.

Surely they could just teak up the night level a degree or two??

1 Like

If you’re in a lit aircraft and look outside then it will always appear dark as your eyes don’t get a chance to adjust to it. Conversely if you are outside on a moonlit night then you can see quite well

But cockpits are generally dark just because of this effect on the eyes. Even after landing, get the drone out and its 100% black outside.

1 Like

Why can‘t they fix it already? FSX stock has it and P3D. Absolutely annoying issue! Not realistic at all… Very sad indeed. This should be included when realeasing a sim, not understandable.

1 Like

MS/Asobo , should implement at least a generic night lighting at the airports
We need some kind of Night Ligthing for the parking areas
Add light pole to all international and regional airport aprons which are opened 24/7, (missing lights at the parking ramp/gate or at the main terminal building)

The quick solution that I can think of here is by assigning 1 tower of floodlight to every parking layout in the airport. So all the parking spaces are lit. It can also be set to a specific type of parking. For sample a Ramp GA Small wouldn’t have floodlights, but anything else would
to fix that would be, perhaps, to automatically add “street” lamp at every parking spot, with a size depending of the size of the spot.
My idea is to add a floodlight object to every parking spot so that in can easily apply to all AI-generated airports as the parking spot objects are pretty much standardised across all of it without updating them one by one.

a solution would be to make a batch file or a script file to add a floodlight object to every parking spot so that in can be easily apply as a batch to all AI-generated airports as the parking spot objects are pretty much standardised across all of it without updating them one by one. (at least for all major and medium airport or regional airport)
I think it is something simple to do for Asobo engineers
Easy way to make auto gen airports lit is just stick basic lighting on top of buildings pointing to the apron. I’m sure that’s easy to code?
This is another one of those seemingly-easy things that MSobo should really just detail one or two people to fix, permanently and easily, for all auto-gen airports. Just station some auto-gen lightpoles around aprons and terminals for every airport above a certain size in the sim

3 Likes

It’s so annoying to fly at night. You can’t see anything at the airport. Hope there is an update next year

3 Likes

It is still pitch black at night even at Las Vegas airport. I can’t see the runway at all and can only see the lightings. I hope the runway lighting’s intensity can increase and allow us to adjust the brightness of the game.

1 Like

Did a flight into PAHO in the dark and had to turn it back to daylight for landing as could barely see any lighting from any distance. Would be nice if this could be made a priority as it’s ruining night flights at the moment.

3 Likes

I like the idea of adding lights to parking spots but considering most GA parking spots still have the plane facing up against a wall, building, tug, etc, I wouldn’t be surprised if they add lights but they shine up rather than down…

1 Like

2022 ending, night flights are a completely shot in the dark literally. You can arrive your destination and the airport is completely obliterated in the middle of darkness even the surrounding city is bright. So unreal.

7 Likes

Hello everyone!

Lately I’ve been a lot at night time and I noticed that the majority of stock airports are EXTREMELY dark at night, borderline having no lights at all. Most of the airports I know from real life of course are not like that. I mean, to the point that aprons and taxi ways are almost completely dark.

I’m attaching a pic of Sao Paulo Congonhas airport at night, just landed there. As you can see, the airport is almost a black hole, the brightest light comes from my A320 parked there.

Same happens with other airports like SCEL (Santiago de Chile, Chile), SABE (Buenos Aires, Argentina), SKRG (Medellin, Colombia).

I’ve tested some custom airports (SKRG for example) and they look more closely, at least in terms of lighting, to real life. I can bear with not having a perfect life-like airport stock, but I expect it to be at least with a “natural” lighting.

Am I missing something in config or have you noticed something similar?

Thanks and best!
Seb

3 Likes

Check this mod. If your airports are included in his list, try it out!

Hi…this total dark is totally unrealistic… and when you arrive in a airport is impossible to find gates or parking without the help ribbons specially in cockpit view.i hope they will improve the light effect soon