Autopilot Disappointment

We’ve had MS2020 for over a year, and the Autopilot lacks basic functionality and user options that reduce the options for long haul flying.

Major issues with autopilot:
→ Very limited pre-defined options for routes and ABNORMALLY LONG ascending and descending periods for long haul flights when a departure and/or destination airport is far from an IFR point, and NO ABILITY to adjust lengths of ascent/descent for direct GPS option.
→ No ability to set speed (and the SIM often has a mind of it’s own when throttling and doesn’t even maintain the speed it’s supposed to - this has gotten worse than before - so long haul flights take much longer than pre SU5)

I really would just love the old autopilot option such as in MSFS2000 through FSX when it would hold the altitude and follow a route, but I could still control the throttle to whatever I wanted and manually take over at anytime.

In other words, I’d be happy with the current version of autopilot if it just allowed me the option to control the throttle manually while it held altitude and course.

The current limitations of MSFS autopilot really put a monkey wrench for long haul flights.

2 Likes

What are you flying? If you’re flying an aircraft equipped with a G1000 I strongly suggest the WT G1000 NXi (found in the marketplace).

EDIT: Had to reread, you said “long haul” so probably not. 747-8? Check out the Salty mod. There is also the Heavy Division mod for the 787-10.

Cessna Longitude. Trying to fly to ENSB, which doesn’t have a long enough runway for a Dreamliner to land. Is there any other autopilot option in the game vs. “Flight Assistant - AI Piloting”? If there is, I cannot seem to find it or it is not clear. It’s either all control or lack of control. I just want the sim to hold course and altitude per the plan. Heck, when setting the flight plan, it did include a cruise speed, but the Flight Assistant is consistently flying 50 knots below. Is that a bug? It’s only flying 61% throttle and overspeed nowhere in site. For a long haul flight, that adds 2 hours. What gives.

It used to fly full on throttle before SU5 and always hit overspeed. While a bit faster than actual, I didn’t mind as much since since it got me to destinations faster. Normally like to cruise as fast as I can before hitting the annoying overspeed. It seems like I don’t have any options now.

Try this out…

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/g3000/

I can’t believe there are still people flyin on defaults :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Get the FBW A320. The autopilot works perfectly fine for most trips. I fly all over the road with it, 5-6 hours fights or more, and don’t have many issues. There are some minor things since it’s not full fidelity yet, but certainly no issues holding speed, LNAV, ILS approaches etc

2 Likes

Fly the best. WT CJ4.

3 Likes

Yeah, the WT CJ4 is pretty good. Been a while since I’ve used it. I should check out what they have done since I last flew it.

2 Likes

Have any suggestions? Haven’t attempted to fly long haul in months.

Some were given. :slight_smile:

I haven’t flown the sim nearly as much as others on this forum. When I do, I’m mostly showing family members short term tours of places they want to see. I rarely used autopilot and haven’t attempted a long haul in many months. Back in the FSX and earlier days, I’d fly long haul quite a bit in the background while doing other tasks. The built in GPS/autopilot was extremely user friendly in the 2000-2006 generation of sims. Very user friendly for long haul flights directly built into the base sim.

I’m not familiar with the suggestions. Are they payware addons? So they’re aren’t any settings or options in the actual sim I’m not aware of?

Long haul? Really the only one right now is the 777 by Captain Sim but I wouldn’t recommended it. PMDG is going to pump out their 777 and 747 at some point after their 737. There are a handful of long haul currently being developed. Once I land I will name them off. In the mean time…

Freeware…

You mean the very out of place and poor representation of the Garmin 500 in airliners? xD

2 Likes

That’s definitely sufficient for a 787, even when you are considering the real safety margins.

Vectors to final. Used to be in FSX.

1 Like

I’m probably doing it wrong but in the vanilla Longitude I have done the following.

Map autothrottle engage / disengage to keys
(I no longer use the toggle, it seems to not always disengage)

Set SPD to Manual (Man)
Dial in 240 (under 10,000ft limit)
Once above 10k I dial it up to 300

Dial it back just before descent.

I don’t engage auto throttle until after the climb out is established and retracting flaps etc.

I disengage auto throttle on approach/final

I also use regular AP (FD) but have keys mapped to activate vnav for ascent/descent and will also toggle HDG and navigate with that.

FBW A320 and the Working Title CJ 4 are both completely free.

Also, have you tried using the autopilot in the base sim - not the one you turn on via the menus (that’s AI Pilot/ Assistance) but the actual autopilot that you turn on in the plane by pressing the appropriate button?

Most default planes have autopilot and it works fine. Just watch a couple videos on how to use it. Try the Cessna 172 and the default A320, both are reasonably easy.

They can’t fix little things, like the pushback tug line up on small planes instead of disappearing under the fuselage first and then popping back out; they can’t fix the Longitude fuel flow to read “PPH” instead of “PPM” and you want them to take on a task as complex as this!?!

But as to the speed thing, you have to use a plane with autothrottle or else, like in real life, you are constantly adjusting the throttle to maintain a constant speed.

1 Like

Well, believe it. Some of us still feel that MS should have everything in the cockpit that they INTENDED to function , actually do so correctly without forcing us to resort to 3rd party addons and modds.

1 Like

if you’re on PC you need those 2 mods for the Longitude

1 Like