Autopilot not following flight plan

Suggestions for repro:

Empty Community Folder!
Use the exact same configured aircraft including weight, payload and CoG.
How is the MCDU is programmed?
Airport departure and runway, SID if applicable.
Initial maneuvers after departing, including speed, altitude, attitude (level, climbing, descent, banking).
Autopilot settings used when the unexpected behavior occurs.

When can the tester expect to see or experience the unexpected behavior based on reporter’s experience?

2 Likes

If that was for me - I am going to make a video of a typical take off, I do them differently, depending on what I am simulating (type of flight, etc).

I have nothing in the Community Folder.

I use full fuel (unless I forget to do that, then I do a fast refill with key commands when the flight starts).

If I am doing an IFR flight, I use the software to design the flight, but mostly, I start out with NO flight plan, and simulate along the lines of (orders will be given after you’re airborne) - I have done this a lot since I purchased the basic program in Jul 2022.

I can, and do, program the MCDU (if that is the computer on the aircraft) once I am airborne, if I feel like it - often, I know the direction of an airport where I am going, and I generally use the Auto Pilot to bring me there in steps - sort of like VOR or VORTaC to VORTaC navigation, or using the NDB’s to home in on the location I am flying to. - I hope that makes sense.

My initial maneuvers are always the same (intent anyway) - Fly the runway heading out until between 5K and 10K (depends on how I feel about terrain, etc.) and then I either manage the Autopilot by changing heading, speed, and altitudes.

Now, just because I am seeking the most effective and efficient of flights with the A320 Neo, I kind of fly at either 34K or 35K - depending on flying West (even) or East (odd).

The autopilot settings for when things go sideways are actually “at any time, and in any setting.” - and ain’t THAT a hoot?!?

Other than IFR flight plans - which I rarely do - I use “IFR” in terms of GPS Direct, but if I want to talk to ever control center on my route, I will do IFR planning in the software, and that translates to the aircraft when I start - but I do not recall having issues then…

The settings can be any, or all, of the following:

Speed - I find that the A320 Neo can fly fine at 34K or 35K at Mach .82, so I will manually set speed, but I will come back to that in a minute - for the long haul flight portion, I manually set the speed, 250 below 10K, 320 above, but Mach .82 over about 30K or so.

COMING down to land, I use the Auto Throttle to manage the airspeeds to landing. Because it is just easier.

Climbing and Descent, I use the Manual adjustment to get to 34K or 35K, and when coming down, I step down from about 100 miles out to landing, and I manage that. On long final, I shut off AP1, and just use the Auto Throttle to manage speeds.

Banking is managed by the aircraft, unless I am doing a tighter approach, and then I shut of AP1, and use Auto Throttle and hand fly down to landing.

I have no idea where the aircraft is trying to go, because it continues to fly in circles until I softly coax it back to where I want it to be - but it can go off the rails again at any time… low, high, near destination, along the route - there is no “one thing” every time, at every stage of the flight - it is happened randomly.

And again, two weeks ago? I’m flying like nobody’s business, Germany to USA, California to Florida, Around Canada, and even to airports around where I used to fly in FS 2004, with Helicopter Simulation in FS. Hovercontrol! That’s the name… good times.

Anyway, this just started up on me. Now, I am NOT proficient enough in the 747 to really address that, but I do konw that it should not do what it is doing - but I would need more testing.

For the A320 Neo, I am going to make a video soon and see if it doesn’t just happen - and I will try various types of departures, and flight planning to show what is going wrong… unless it is identified and fixed before then.

I just noticed an AP Trim button on the Joystick:

I am restarting the flight form Nellis AFB to KRSW, and I will see if that has anything to do with anything…

I’ll have to let you know later, but maybe this has something to do with it all - it doesn’t seem like it should, because pressing that button shuts off AP1. I will do a few flights, and report back… if that has anything to do with this mess - it is a mess, because it simply shuts off AP1, I don’t see anything else going on with it.

It might be some retained data or such, and clearing that button could theoretically provide an issue, but I doubt it in real life.

OK, that button did not seem to matter, and I also tried setting my flight model to legacy - that did nothing.

Of note, when I shut it all down and restarted, it walked me through a few pages of settings… I thought that was odd.

Unless you are flying an FSX plane, flight model should always be Modern.

1 Like

Good to know… it did not work. LOL… and yet… so sad.

1 Like

I am having success now with the 747-8, I “manually” navigated with Autopilot, and then I programmed in a flight plan, and it is working so far.

Can you export the plan and upload it to this thread? You can do that right before hitting Fly Now.

1 Like

Most of the time, I don’t file a plan, I just take off… but with the A320 Neo, I like going through the start up process, so I sometimes start at the gate… but most of the time, I still don’t do a plan.

I typically - like now - simulate something, and currently getting supplies and personnel to Lee County Florida simulation… so, places like Nellis, LAX, Denver, etc. and I fly into KRSW.

But how I do that, is to take off, fly out on the runway heading (manual selection), set an altitude (manually), and I set the speed (manually). The A320 Neo had been working wonderfully, and I figured I would not need another aircraft to play around with - unless I wanted to do some Flight Seeing stuff.

Tonight, the 747 really worked out well, and I landed it (in Laredo Texas… successfully!). I was happy.

I will play around with the 747-8 for now, it is a bigger aircraft, and can carry more stuff, plus, with its range, it can carry stuff in, and go elsewhere for more, without using the local fuel supplies - so, bonus.

I did not like how the 747 Autopilot works, and I still do not know how to competently use it well, as I’d like, so - justification for more time with that.

But I do really like the A320 Neo - when it works - it is like a dream.

I was actually considering picking up the upgrade to the full deluxe thing to grab the 787… but I’ll have to wait for that now, due to this… though I would like to grab the Cirrus and the DV20 (which I had flown (DV20)). More to think about, and I am sure a programmer at Asobo will figure this out… it is not something I am doing wrong, because I have more than 600 hours using the program successfully, across a range of aircraft, I’d just like them to work, all the time, every time, when I want to fly.

I tried making a quick video, however, due to the issues, it would not be a fast and easy deal… and I would need to “mic up” and talk through it.

I have been able to “gently” tweak the flights with the A320 Neo, but it gets to be more of a pain than monitoring the flight - if that makes sense. I like to play around with the possibilities of it all, the potential… anyway, more 747 work tomorrow!

This morning, I am running a Texas to Lee County, Florida (KDFW - KRSW) test flight with the Asobo A320 Neo…

I took off from the runway (Departure start at runway, not a cold start), and I did nothing to the Autopilot prior to getting airborne.

I flew out hand flying the runway heading, while I activated the Auto Throttle, that has never been an issue that I noted, and it worked fine.

Then I hit the Heading to manually select the runway heading I was flying on, and then I hit AP1 - this time, this morning, it worked. I thought for a moment that it was going to turn off course, and I held it on course with the joystick, but I am not sure it would have gone off course.

I flew it out on the runway heading, and activated 35K feet on the altitude bug.

After frequency change approval, I used the heading knob to head out 070, then 090, and flew on that for a while.

After a bit of time, I entered KRSW into the computer (in the game, on the center panel), and gave the heading to the aircraft, and it rolled onto the proper heading. The aircraft is flying with a wind correction as it should.

So far, so good. I did not watch the game start up - because it takes so long, and I was working on other things. Thus, I did not notice if any update happened or not.

I will post again later after this flight ends.

This flight worked this morning (KDFW - KRSW)… I am setting up another one.

Late here but it’s still not following nav. I tested AI pilot and follows the process flawless.

Found a solve. I increased the expo or
sensativity around the aileron axis and vioala. That fixed it. I found that I was always banking left to keep the airplanea stright. I think the system was fighting this so it always banked right.

Are the newer working title gps-systems doing something to the gps navigation? When I uninstall them, going back to “non-qwerty” GPS seem to work just fine. I prefer to use the qwerty when adding airports etc, though… Any suggestions if this is the problem, or if theres sometning else to it (CDI set correctly, OBS as well etc). Not just following AP, but follows when in HDG mode. Or is it the PMS50 thats in my community folder thats interfering? (kind of sure I got this issue before I installed that though).

This problem still exists even after unchecking the “Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support,” and rebooting.

Aircraft: Beechcraft 350.
I setup with about 9 waypoints on the FPL, first 2 or 3 are followed and then the AP stops following the plan.

I have had the same problem. I think it banks because it just holds the last waypoint and keeps going back to it.

3 years on and that helped me massively. So much so I even went to the trouble of signing up for an account so I could do this reply

1 Like

Hello everyone! I am very new to this site so, please forgive my upcoming stupidity.
Problem: after I fly an IFR flight plan as well as the approach, the TBM 930 does not respond to any input from any source. At times the throttle sticks forward, it does however, allow me to shut off my fuel, so as I can dead stick the aircraft. If I fly said aircraft on a vfr flight around the airport, nothing takes place and the aircraft responds normally. I’m fearing this could be a patch problem or quite possibly a user error issue.
Thank you all for your consideration.
Moztart