Axis and Ohs: Help and questions

I have just purchased AAO’s. Its good but having an issue. I’m trying to alter the FLC change speed now to change by 1 instead of 10.

I tried creating this script but it just won’t work, can I get some advice please.

(A:AUTOPILOT·AIRSPEED·HOLD·VAR,·Knots)·1·+·(>K:AP_SPD_VAR_INC)

Thanks

(A:AUTOPILOT·AIRSPEED·HOLD·VAR,·Knots)·1·+·(>K:AP_SPD_VAR_INC)

This is wrong, INC/DEC events cannot be used to assign dedicated values - only to increase/decrease a variable by a fixed amount.

Assuming that using the default sim variables and events even works for this aircraft, the script would be this:

(A:AUTOPILOT·AIRSPEED·HOLD·VAR,·Knots)·1·+·(>K:AP_SPD_VAR_SET)

Probably because they added their own controller acceleration logic.

As stated above, AAO does not support different events assigned to different turn speeds. It just has never been requested by anyone, most people use Combo buttons to switch between two different speeds. Maybe something similar will be added in a future version.

The behringer X-touch sends a value of 1 for a right turn and a value of 127 for a left turn when in relative 1 mode. If i turn faster it sends values 1,2,3,4, 5, 6 or 7 for a right turn and values of 127, 126,125,124,123,122, or 121 for a left turn.

How does AAO look at these inputs?

The behringer X-touch sends a value of 1 for a right turn and a value of 127 for a left turn when in relative 1 mode. If i turn faster it sends values 1,2,3,4, 5, 6 or 7 for a right turn and values of 127, 126,125,124,123,122, or 121 for a left turn.

How does AAO look at these inputs?

It doesn’t really care a lot. AAO has been made to support all MIDI controllers, not the pecularities of a specific one. From the velocity values that a device sends, AAO tries to determine if it is dealing with a button (fixed velocity) or a rotary encoder (velocity changes up or down). If the MIDI device is configured correctly, this will work, if not, it doesn’t. There are quite a few MIDI devices where the rotary encoders are not turning endlessly, but have stops (or stop sending notes when turned beyond those points). In that case, any advanced velocity logic is futile anyway (this situation is what the “endless” checkbox is for)

Edit: but to answer the question, at least in theory: you will have to spin the knob fast to make AAO even pick up the rotation, otherwise it will probably think that it is dealing with a button. Once you manage that it understands the right/left turn, you could activate “endless” - then AAO will repeat the down event when the values 0 or 127 are sent, and turn normally otherwise.

That works great, thank you! But I’m not quite sure I understand why you use SET in the script instead of INC/DEC which worked for when I set up the general button operation for FLC without the script…

I’m completely new to these kind of things so sorry if that seems like a stupid question. Is there an AAO forum or discord where I can get more examples or are you happy if I ask any questions here?

That would be awesome if you could do that! That’s pretty much the only thing I’m missing now!

That works great, thank you! But I’m not quite sure I understand why you use SET in the script instead of INC/DEC which worked for when I set up the general button operation for FLC without the script…

The INC/DEC events will only increase or decrease a variable by a fixed value. Usually 1, but a few of these events also accept other values (like 100 or 1000 with AP_ALT_VAR_INC). If you use an invalid value, the event may not trigger at all, and I suspect that is what happened to you.

What you tried to do was to write a specific value into the variable, and that is what the _SET events are for.

Thanks. I’m starting to understand it now. I modified the behaviour of the x-touch mini and set up AAO.

Thanks, I’m getting more into this program! It’s a lot more powerful than it looks!

I’m looking at setting up some axes and I was just wondering what adding detente markers actually does?

So I finally figured out how to map the HTML auto pilot button from my bravo to the CJ4 mod. My problem now is I’m trying to bind my two +/- rotary know to my ap selector rotary knob.

I want to be able to select ALT/HDG/IAS (when in FLCH)/CRS and then use my +/- rotary knob on the other side of the bravo to either increase or decrease whatever I have selected on the other knob.

I’m trying to totally remove myself from having to use the mouse in the cockpit to manipulate the AP or FD.

Thanks you

what adding detente markers actually does?

Same what it does in real life - like with the thrust levers of the Airbus. As long as the lever is in this detent, AAO sends the same value to the sim.

Normally this filtering is done by the aircraft addon in the sim, but either that is not the case with the Asobo Airbus, or the potentiometers in my TQ are particularly noisy - my levers like to click in/out for example the CLB detent on their own all the time. With the software detent they don’t, they stay where they belong.

I want to be able to select ALT/HDG/IAS (when in FLCH)/CRS and then use my +/- rotary knob on the other side of the bravo to either increase or decrease whatever I have selected on the other knob.

Tricky. This requires a few RPN scripts, depending on what aircraft you want to use it on. Different solutions may be required for different planes.

Unfortunately I know nothing about how the CJ4 mod works. Generally speaking, I would make two scripts that INC/DEC an LVAR of my own (for example (L:MyApSelector)), and then two others that INC/DEC the appropriate value for the LVAR.

So knob one cycles the LVAR 0 → 1 → 2 → 0… (and vice versa in another script)
The scripts for the other knob would then be a simple matter of ifs
(L:MyApSelector) 0 == if { 100 (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_INC) } (L:MyApSelector) 1 == if { 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) } (L:MyApSelector) 2 == if { 1 (>K:AP_SPD_VAR_INC) }

But there is a big catch IMHO - how do you know what value you are changing when you turn the selector? There is no feedback about what has been selected, unless you create an AAO Desktop or Web Gauge to go with it.

Be mindful that this is entirely off the to of my head. But it should point you to a possible solution

I got this working with my Bravo. I can look up exactly how it’s configured tonight when I play, but off the top of my head, I remember there are two sets of SimConnect events you have to deal with:

• There is one set for the right-hand knob that increases/decreases values. The Bravo has two joystick buttons for this (one that fires when turning the knob counter-clockwise, the other for clockwise). I mapped these two buttons to the PLUS and MINUS SimConnect events. These events are generic and will adjust a value based on what you’ve selected with the left-hand knob.
  • There is a set of SimConnect events for the left-hand knob. Search this page (Event IDs) for the string “for use with” and you’ll see there is an event that makes the PLUS and MINUS events affect the heading bug (HEADING_BUG_SELECT), altitude (ALTITUDE_BUG_SELECT) etc.

This is all off the top of my head and I can’t check my specific config right now, so I might have mis-remembered some of the specific event names. I’ll check it out tonight and post if I got something wrong.

Oh, one thing I just remembered is that the default mode for the PLUS and MINUS events is to change the sim rate. So I’ve added to my preflight checklist to always give the left knob a little turn so that the mode gets set to whatever is indicated on the Bravo. If you start a new flight and turn the right-hand knob before ever touching the left-hand knob, you’ll be adjusting the sim rate.

There’s also a bug (in my opinion) in the sim that if you change the sim rate using the SimConnect events specific to sim rate, it will put the PLUS/MINUS events into sim rate mode. So if I change the sim rate in the flight, I try to remember to move the left-hand knob to reinitialize it again before using the right-hand knob again.

This is exactly what I’m trying to do! Can you help me too? I have figured out how to map my autopilot modes with the buttons on the bravo but I want to use the two selectors to adjust vs alt HDG etc for the cj4 mod. I am using axis and ohs

Ah yeah i see what it does now, adds a little dead zone around that point. Neat!!

Also i’m really struggling to set reverse thrusters in the Neo. I’m trying to set it using THROTTLE_1_DECR by using a combination of two buttons - the reverser button and pulling the levers back into the reverse thrust position… it works when i don’t set the the throttle axis, but as soon as i do set the axis it just won’t increase the reverse thrust…it stays at idle.

Any ideas on how i can sort it?

Any ideas on how i can sort it?

With the axis assignment, use the reverse thrust button as Combo with “Suppress axis event”. Then, when the button is pressed, the axis will no longer be actuated.

I do that on my Saitek TQs and it works well. With those, a button down event is active when the lever is pushed all the way down. I have set this button event in AAO to fast repeat and to trigger a script:
-3000 (>K:THROTTLE1_SET)
( this is for putting thrust lever 1 into full reverse)
For the Throttle 1 axis I have set the same button as Combo with “suppress axis event”.

I just took a look at my config and confirmed that I described it accurately. I’ve actually got the right-hand knob mapped to PLUS and MINUS in the sim directly, rather than via AAO. But it would work either way. The main reason I mapped the Bravo buttons with AAO instead of directly in the sim was to get around the issue with the heading and altitude bug changing in large increments. But it’s not necessary to map the right-hand knob to SimConnect events to get around that. Those buttons work directly in the sim.

So try it the way I described with the BUG events on the left-hand knob and the PLUS and MINUS mapping in the sim for the right-hand knob.

I cannot find thee Generic event for setting the knob on right hand side the -/+ knob in Axis and Ohs. What is it called that I bind that key too?