Axis and Ohs: Help and questions

Hi folks, just popping in to give an update. With Oliver’s help, I’ve managed to get most of the AP and avionics functions working, in addition to most of the G1000 PFD/MFD functions as well!

By using combo buttons and the two control layers on the X-Touch Mini, this is what my current layout looks like:

Once Oliver releases the latest version, I’ll try to find some time to write up a guide. My last attempt as a guide took a long time to write and was obsolete almost immediately, so I might do a simpler one with some quick examples next time.

2 Likes

Excellnt job @rottenbk !!!

Maybe if you could share your templates, that would be a great help for us all! Looking at your templates will be able to learn how you did it, without you having to write that new long guide.

I any case, thanks for what you have shared so far!!

I’ve helped people on this site and on other sites by sharing my templates and scripts and while it does help people it also causes some confusion, largely because my controller’s ID likely won’t be the same as on someone else’s PC.

For the most part it’s pretty simple once you get an example to follow, then it’s just repeating the concept until you get all the features you want.

But yeah sure, I’ll share what I got.

The version of AAO I have now is a beta that Oliver has been working on, it has a few fixes that will be important, so I’ll wait until he releases it to the public before I give people a bunch of ideas that won’t work just yet :wink:

Patiently waiting on what you have to share. I would like to see if I can use the behringer x touch mini for the working title cj4. However I currently do not see any options to control the autopilot of the working title cj4 nor the upper and lower menu knobs and buttons of the MFD and PFD. Is anyone trying the same?

The WT CJ4 autopilot functions are there, in the HTML-Variables section. You can also do a search for CJ4 and they should show up in the list.

I haven’t found any functions for the MFD/PFD. Which does not mean they aren’t there.

Check out Sim Variables · Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages Wiki · GitHub

Dirk

Thanks Dirk!!

Thanks will have a look.

are these all selectable within axis and ohs?

I have not checked out all of them, but so far I have mapped all AP modes successfully using AAO.

Dirk

Those are usually the generic ones, AS1000_x, AS3000_x. Search for PFD or MFD

A few words about these H Variables. They are not fixed literals, like a variable name. Instead, the simulator constructs the actual variable name at runtime from “building blocks” (calles “tags” in AAO).

In the MSFS model/animation XML code you will find things like this:

<CLOCKWISE_CODE>(&gt;H:#KEY_PREFIX#_RANGE_INC)</CLOCKWISE_CODE>
<ANTICLOCKWISE_CODE>(&gt;H:#KEY_PREFIX#_RANGE_DEC)</ANTICLOCKWISE_CODE

Depending on the aircraft where this template is used, the variable name may translate to “AS3000_MFD_RANGE_INC”, because somewhere in the path through the included templates #KEY_PREFIX#" is set to the value “AS3000_MFD”. For another instrument or another aircraft it may have another name. For Asobo, they can program just the one encoder logic and re-use it in every aircraft with different variable names, depending on use case.

Two important things to take away from this:

1. The names of these H-Vars are not fixed. They can change at any time, when the sim or the plane are updated.
  2. That is why a parser is required that searches for them, not a list that publishes their current names. The list will never be complete and can be invalidated at any point.

The parser in AAO will become more intelligent over time, but right now only a subset of all HVars can be selected directly, the others require assembly. You can construct the actual name from the templates in the RPN script editor, check the AAO manual. Naturally, that involves a lot a trial & error, but going through the aircraft model XML files is quite a bit of work too. In most cases, doing both is the best strategy. I use Notepad++ “Find in Files” and let it search for example for “<CLOCKWISE_CODE>” in all XML files of the simulators “Packages” folder.

A fellow simmer is building a fully-featured AAO plugin for the StreamDeck, where you can even dim all the separate lights in the cockpit. Everything goes, but it requires a lot of time and patience.

Thank you @LorbySI for the detailed explanation! I kind of figured/guessed that’s how HVARs work, but it’s great to get this info first hand from someone who has the full knowledge.

That’s exactly what I did yesterday to find some more CJ4 vars I was looking for (and was successful, haven’t had a chance to try them yet though), great to know that I’m on the right track!

Thank you again for AAO, it’s really an awesome tool that now enhances my sim experience tremendously!

Dirk

1 Like

I was unable to find the correct H Variable in AAO for INC/DEC map range for the WT-CJ4, which is the only one I really wanted to add to the X-Touch. But due to the wonderful flexibility of AAO I was able to add the WT Variables listed on github and simply create a script and assign to encoder.

WT H Variable:

• H:Generic_Upr_RANGE_INC (Map Zoom)
  • H:Generic_Upr_RANGE_DEC (Map Zoom)

AAO Script:
1·(>H:Generic_Upr_RANGE_INC,·Number)
1·(>H:Generic_Upr_RANGE_DEC,·Number)

1 Like

I have found a bug and do not know if it is the behringer x-touch mini or axis and ohs.

When I have assigned the _INC or _DEC variable to the same encoder (leftturn and rightturn) of the x-touch mini it registers correctly the left and right turn, however when a start to rotate the encoder a little bit faster it will register both left and right turns even if I am only rotating the encoder left.

Has anyone encountered this bug before, and if so is there a fix?

Thx, will try that tonight. if I get it all to work I will definitely buy axis and ohs!

I have just received a Honeycomb Bravo and I am trying to get the Autopilot function working with the WT CJ4. Its a bit of 2 steps forward and 1 step back at the moment but I think i am slowly getting there.

One thing i am trying to get right is the Altitude selector speed, so when i rotate the knob slowly on the Bravo, the altitude goes up in 100’s but when I spin it fast, it goes up in 1000’s. I got this working in Spad by creating two events, one with a parameter increase of 100 and then just the same event but with a 1000 increase and it works really well.

Is this possible in AAO? In AAO i’ve created a script to increase the altitude by 100 but when i then added another script to increase it by 1000, the altitude just increases by 1100 no matter what speed i turn the knob!

As i’m still trialling both pieces of software i’d rather get this working in AAO as I couldn’t get anything else on the AP to work in Spad.

Sorry, but AAO does not distinguish between different “speeds” of repeated actuation. What kind of event does that knob send? Joystick button press? And it is the same event for slow and fast turn?

Thats correct yeah. Button presses and same event…I think spad works the same way but I wonder why that works out…

I found that MSFS automatically increased the “speed” that values changed as I rotated the bravo knob faster without me having to do anything to configure it that way. I can’t remember if I mapped the right-side bravo knob with AAO or in MSFS. It takes a few seconds (longer than I think it should) of sustained turning at a higher speed, but it does accelerate from changing altitude by 100s to 1000s, heading by single degrees to 10 degrees, etc.

Neither of those worked for me…only SPAD does it right so far.