Axis and Ohs: Help and questions

Hello @ll,

AxisAndOhs has been updated to version 1.72

• Changed the layout of the main dialog, uncluttered the Tools menu.

• For assigned axis it is now possible to set a min / max value. With this you can limit the value range, for example to make the reversers of the Asobo Airbus less powerful (min = -0.2 instead of -1.0)

• The list of mathematic operation that can be used in RPN scripting and gauges has been expanded to include all legacy ops

• Fixed the bug that prevented the Saitek Radio Panel from changing KHz correctly when in 8.333 spacing (MSFS only)

• Added a parameter for the webserver port with the WebFIPs. This can be used to change the port number if you already have other apps in your local LAN/WiFi that are using 8080 (video surveillance, media streaming)

The app should be available in your account on SimMarket or JustFlight shortly.

Donā€™t forget to visit the AxisAndOhs site from time to time to check for new desktop/web flight instruments in the DOWNLOADS section.

Hello @LorbySI,

i bought payware version one month ago and I think your software is so powerful that I donā€™t know how to use it :sweat_smile:

For example, i like TBM 900 and i donā€™t know how to set Trhottle Axis (Saitek)ā€¦

If axis ranges from 0 to 100 itā€™s possible set 0 to 10 reverse, 11 to 20 (deadzone??) taxi and 21 to 100 for trhottle?

It also has the addition that the same lever/axis serves to Cut Off, Low Idle/High Idle/Flight idle.

Would it be possible to show us an example or how to do it?

Thank you!

Hi,

in the current implementation a setup like that is not really possible. You can limit the reverser in the new version 1.73, but not much more than that. The deadzone is just that - when the lever is in this range, the value that it sends is 0.

The axis ranges from whatever the simulator says. Throttle lever position goes from -1.0 to 1.0, with -1.0 being full reverse (or more than that, like in the Airbus). The ā€œmiddle pointā€, 0.0, is the idle position. In the next days I will make a video about how to set this up for the Airbus. But it is pretty easy, and not really different from what you see in the flight controls video. Just pull the center point to the left, create a large-ish deadzone and then set a minimum value for the negative range (-0.2 works well for me)

I thought about adding user configurable trigger zones, but ultimately decided against that. When an aircraft has ā€œdetentsā€ on the TQ/thrust levers, I expect them to be modelled in-sim, by the maker of the simulated aircraft. They canā€™t rely on users to buy a third party app, there must be a solution that works for everyone. That was standard procedure in the old FSX/P3D world, so implementing it again in AAO seemed highly redundant.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

1 Like

Development update - version 1.73

Hello @ll,

Development progresses with AxisAndOhs.

The next version 1.73 will have more features for the Desktop/Web FIP gauges that make it possible to have a simple PFD and NAV display on your phone/tablet or on a separate monitor. Those instruments are intended to be used with MSFS, they may not work 100% in the other sims. The gauges will be available as free downloads on the axisandohs.weebly.com site.

In my case, I bought a 13" TFT screen that is connected to the internal Intel GPU, which frees up my 2080ti to only power the sim. Likewise, since the instruments are a feature of AAO, I can set my cockpit view to show only the windows and reduce the in-sim instrument refresh rate. Undocking sim-internal windows usually has a large impact on FPS, and by avoiding this, I find performance to be very good. YMMV.

The version is feature complete and is undergoing testing currently. The release should happen next week.

2 Likes

Hey Oliver,
first of all thanks for this great addon. Itā€™s a really professional way to fix the rudder-bug with the xbox controller.

But I think there is one issue: Iā€™m assigning aileron and elevator to the left analog stick, setting new zero points and a dead zone. Everthings working great so far. But when Iā€™m choosing a curve (say smoothness 1.5) the input results in an unexpected behaviour: When Iā€™m pushing the stick a very little bit to the left, the yoke on the screen moves a little bit to the right. Pushing the stick farther to left, the yoke on the screens moves to the left as expected.

Do you know about this issue?

Thanks and viele GrĆ¼ĆŸe aus Deutschland

(P.S.: Ich hoffe, ich habe es in dem englischen Text einigermaƟen verstƤndlich ausgedrĆ¼ckt, ansonsten kann ich es auch nochmal auf deutsch darstellen.)

ā€¦ah and another question: The manual says it is possible to start Axis and Ohs automatically with MSFS using an exe.xml in a certain directory. But the directory is only valid with the Microsoft Store version. I purchased the Steam version and I cannot find any exe.xml on my hard drives to modify. Can you help me with that point?

Disregard, I managed to recreate the problem. See next post.
Not sure, but I had another similar request today. The root problem was a misunderstanding about what the blue triangles do. They are not for setting ā€œzero pointsā€, not in the strict sense of the word - their purpose is to adjust the axis range for controllers that donā€™t travel through the full set of values that a joystick axis normally has. I have one of those, the potentiometer inside is not at the ā€œ0ā€ - location when the axis is pulled all the way back. With the blue triangle I can compress the axis range, so I get full travel in the sim - despite the hardware limitation of the controller. This compression might have adverse effects when used in combination with a curve, when the center point is not in exactly the right location. If you donā€™t mind, please send me an email with your order number, the address is on the last page of the manual. (gerne auch auf auf Deutsch). I will need more information and a screenshot of your axis setup, so I can reproduce it here.

As for the other question, I have bought the Steam version two days ago, but didnā€™t have time to install it yet. The exe.xml is supposed to be in the same place as the ā€œFlightSimulator.CFGā€ and ā€œUserCfg.optā€, if that is of any help?

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

1 Like

Adverse movement when dead zone and curve are active: I see what you mean. Should be fixed with version 1.73. If you want to try it in advance, please send me that email with your order number (or a message here in the forum).

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for your quick replies. Iā€™d like to try version 1.73 so Iā€™ll send you my order number via direct message.

1. Can confirm that Version 1.73 resolves the curve-issue as described above completely.
  2. Placing the exe.xml into the Folder ā€œC:\Users\ [your_username] \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulatorā€ for the Steam version runs Axis and Ohs automatically when starting MSFS

Thanks a lot!

Hello @ll,

version 1.73 has been deployed to the shops today.

• Redesigned the layout of the assignment dialogs to make it clearer which input field is currently active

• Fixed bug where the axis would move slightly in the opposite direction when using curve and deadzone together

• Fixed the bug where the flaps detents box was partially obscured

• Fixed the instances where a split axis must be handled as a slider when applying a curve (MSFS: toe brakes, throttle, propeller, mixture)

• Keyboard and MIDI combos can be used with axis too

• Expanded RPN scripting and gauge logic

Please make sure to visit axisandohs.weebly.com/downloads to get the new advanced gauges like the Airbus type PFD and MFD

1 Like

Hello Lorby,

Iā€™m experiencing a bug with AAO when Iā€™m using my Novation LaunchControl XL USB midi controller.

When I create a mapping for an aircraft everything goes fine and things work great. However, if I shut down or reboot my system/sim/AAO and then come back to the same aircraft, the mapping shows in AAO but none of the controls work on the Novation. Basically, it looks like the MIDI channel that the mapping is assigned to is getting changed somehow. For example Iā€™ll have Throttle on a fader which will show up as ā€œMIDI: 5 CHN:0 EVT: 77ā€ when I first assign it, but will then switch to ā€œMIDI: 3 CHN: 0 EVT: 77ā€ when I return to the sim after reboot. And this happens to all inputs Iā€™ve assigned. Is this an AAO issue or something that Windows is doing when detecting the Novation?

Thanks in advance!

AAO is simply reading the MIDI events as they come in. The MIDI channel is a property of the device that sends the events, not something that AAO invents.

Make sure that the channels donā€™t change in Automap - maybe assign fixed channels to each ā€œthingā€.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

After a bit more digging, turn out that Windows has a nasty habit of shifting port assignments around for some USB midi devices. This article details the problem and a fix for it.

Hello,

I misunderstood your question, it is not the MIDI channel that changes, it is the ID of the MIDI device. That not only happens with MIDI devices, but with joysticks etc. too, when they are moved around the USB ports.

But I have always been using Novation Automap with my Launchpad and Nocturn (they donā€™t work any other way) and canā€™t remember having experienced this problem.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I need someone to point me in the right direction.

Can A&O talk back to a midi controller? What Iā€™m looking for is effectively ā€œradio buttonsā€ (in the GUI sense)

For example:

Button #4 on my Xtouch Mini toggles the AP Master. If I have button #4 set as ā€œToggleā€, it will stay lit when I first engage the AP but that lit state will get out of sync if say, I jerk the flight controls around and the AP kicks off. In game the AP is disengaged but on the Xtouch button #4 is still lit.

To avoid the out of sync light, I have button #4 set as ā€œMomentaryā€ and then in A&O I treat that function as a toggle.

This works just fine but it would be neat if the lit state of the button could reflect the function state in MSFS.

Another example would be say Iā€™m cruising around in HDG mode but then decide to flip to GPS mode. In this case the HDG button light would turn off while the NAV button light turns on - they both canā€™t be lit at the same time.

Is there a way to do this or if this isnā€™t an A&O thing does anyone have an idea where I could look to next?

LED feedback is not a standard feature for MIDI controllers, so there is no official MIDI specification for this. TMBK it is done differently on every single controller out there, and might not even be possible at all on some.

Only thing I can do is to add the option to send MIDI out events from AAO using RPN scripts. It would then be up to you to find out what exactly your controller needs (SysEx, CC, Note) to turn a specific LED on or off. But it is a bit of a gamble, you first need to find out if your controller even works that way, and then find a spec that describes what needs to be done to control the LEDs. Could be in the driver software too.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Sort of what I thought, thank you for taking the time to reply though!

No, it is working great. I just added the option in AAO to send MIDI Out events, and with that I can control the LEDs on my Novation Launchpad and Berhinger X-Touch Mini. Nothing to it really, one just needs to find the online resources for the notes and velocity that one has to send to the device, and on what channel.

For example for the X-Touch I made an automated script that runs every 500 ms (half a second delay is good enough for me)

(A:LIGHT LANDING, Bool) 0 == if{ 0 (>MIDI:11:NoteOn:1:0) } els{ 1 (>MIDI:11:NoteOn:1:0) }

This turns the LED of left button on the top row on, when the landing light in the simulator is on, and vice versa. Now I assigned the event LANDING_LIGHT_TOGGLE to the same button, done. I can switch the landing light on with the button or the lever in the cockpit - the LED on the X-Touch lights up and extinguishes in sync.

Of course this needs more testing, but I am pretty sure that there is not much more to it. You can expect the MIDI Out functionality in version 1.75 of AAO.

If you want to test this in advance, feel free to send me an email with your order number to the address on the last page of the manual.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Amazing. Thank you!

Email incoming.