Axis and Ohs: Help and questions

I think I know what’s going on here and it has to do with how I had things working before the MIDI out functionality in the latest version of AAO.

In a nutshell:

I had to set Button #15 as Momentary in Xtouch Editor, and then as a toggle in AAO, in order to switch the Pitot Heat on and off but avoiding the light on the Xtouch mini getting out of sync with the aircraft. What I was doing in the video above wouldn’t be possible.

Simple functions like Pitot Heat or Landing Lights, this wasn’t an issue, but became a mess with the Autopilot. So I just made everything a Momentary switch in the Xtouch Editor, and handled the toggling logic in AAO using Combos. I just lived with the fact that the buttons wouldn’t reflect their status with the lights.

But now that I can control the Xtouch Mini’s lights through AAO, that won’t be needed anymore. I can now set most of the buttons to Toggle, and then I won’t need to set up the Combo.

I will do some quick tests and then update my guide…as soon as I shovel some snow and have a cup of coffee!

Please take it slow. I am pretty certain about the “note off” going astray. I will check it out tonight.

Ok, for what it’s worth, setting Button #15 to Toggle in the Xtouch Editor, and then removing the Combo entries for that button in AAO does work as expected:

Pitot Heat will get toggled properly (both in game and the status light on the Xtouch Mini) regardless of if I use the Mini’s button or the switch in the cockpit. Essentially, the Pitot Heat switching works as in my video.

However, I did find an issue that might be related to your suspicions regarding “Note Off”, so I will wait until you have a chance to look into things before I make any updates to my Guide.

As it stands now, the instructions in the Guide still work, they are just a touch more complicated than they need be.

Thank you for your support Oliver!

turns out that there is a strange issue with the Behringer (and my Lauchpad too – so maybe all those USB MIDI controllers) – they don’t send “Note Off” events at all when you release a button. Instead they are sending “Note On” with velocity zero. Version 1.76 of AxisAndOhs will work around that.

I will also add a simple web-based API to AAO, so people can trigger button presses using HTML Requests (for example in JavaScript). The Elgato StreamDecks work with Javascript plugins, so it should be possible to build a native connection plugin to the sim with this. Then you could trigger RPN scripts and whatnot from the StreamDeck.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Hi, thanks for all the good explanations in this thread. I’m also trying to get a Xtouch Mini to work with AAO. I would like to use the fader for elevator trim, but somehow I’m stuck how to calibrate the axes. The Xtouch has value from 0 to 127, but the simulator apparently expects a range from -16300 to +16300 (or close to this).
Tried to play with the various calibration options, but didn’t succeed. Am I missing some kind of „multiplier“ option?
Thanks for your support!!

Oliver can correct me here but I don’t believe you can assign a MIDI function to an axis. At least when I tried I would get weird behavior or straight up CTDs.

Instead, try assigning a new button. Then for the Key Down event, look for Aircraft Flight Controls -> ELEV_TRIM_UP, then move the slider in the direction you want. Repeat for ELEV_TRIM_DOWN.

I just tested it on the DA62 and it works, although you’ll have to play with the values a bit because I couldn’t get the trim to deflect out of the green zone. I’ll also have to dig in deeper to find how to set the zero point and have it correspond to the slider position.

Hope this helps! If you figure it out, please post here for others to follow.

EDIT:

If you set the slider like so (this is for trim up, repeat for trim down)

I can get about +/- 35% deflection. By changing the value next to the Key Down Event, you can increase the amount the trim changes with each new position of the slider. Although I suspect you’ll start to lose fine control of the trim once you go too high, some experimentation will be needed to find the sweet spot.

You may need to center the slider on the Xtouch Mini, then use the wheel in the cockpit to center the trim. From then on I believe the slider will work, with the mid point as the neutral/default trim setting.

Question for the crowd: is there a way in MSFS to reset elevator trim to zero? You can for the rudder.

I just tried that with the classic C172, worked just fine. Add Axis (=the list on the left) → select the “Elevator trim” axis from the drop down at the top → move the slider, save. Actuating the slider moves the trim wheel through the entire range. The app is aware of the different value ranges and translates them automatically.

What aircraft are you trying it with?

@rottenbk
Thanks, this is indeed working! Thanks a lot!
I don’t seem to be able to change the values to any other value than either 0 or 1. so I also get only about +/- 35% deflection at the Max.

To me it appears that also the assignment as axis works in principle. I see the slider in AAO move marginally for about 1mm on the far left side of the axis. So it seems that the axis receives values from the fader, but let’s say it’s just at the wrong scale…

I will keep experimenting :slight_smile:

I was trying it with the TBM 930. will try again right away with the 172

Hah well I’ll be darned…I just tried this (assigned axis to elev trim) and it works!

I swear I couldn’t get this to work before but that was a few versions ago? Maybe there was something set up weird on my end…

Thanks Oliver

…and I just found a bug. When you assign the MIDI axis via the event list (in this case AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET) instead of the axis list at the top, then you get the error that Jochen describes.

This will be fixed in version 1.76

1 Like

Just tried it with the C172 and it is working flawless! :slight_smile:
Tried it again on the TBM, and it’s now working as well. This really a bit weird… when I tried it initially on the TBM I couldn’t get it to work, despite trying several times to assign the axis exactly the same way as I did on the C172 just now, and it was always only moving on the far left of the slider.
Well, anyways, it is now working fine :slight_smile:
Thanks for the great support!!

Unfortunately there is another issue on the assignment dialog. When you move the (any) controller first, and then select the axis + MIDI encoder, then you may end up with the same error too.

Another one for the list of things to fix.

1 Like

I think that this happens when you have noisy potentiometers on a joystick somewhere. The Add Axis dialog would pick that up first, and then it is fixated on the joystick value range (0 - 65535). Then 0-127 won’t do a lot.

Version 1.76 will handle this correctly.

1 Like

AxisAndOhs 1.76 b05 has been uploaded to the shops just now.

New in this version is an API based on simple web technology (XMLHttpRequests and JSONP). It supports sending button events, triggering of simulator event IDs, reading and writing of simulator variables.
Use cases would be your own HTML/Javascript based flight instruments or plugins for the Elgato StreamDeck to access the sim directly (=without the need of assigning fake keyboard combos) and getting feedback from it. Examples for the StreamDeck integration will be provided on the AxisAndOhs website eventually (I have to make them look nice first).

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Hi i just bought this app very good by the way. My only problem is setting the rudder + toe brake. I currently have the Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals. Once i set it with in the app the aircraft becomes very hard to move. I have to set full thrust in the TBM to get it to move. I have deleted the rudder axis in MFS.

Sounds like the toe brakes are applied all the time. Rudder and toe brakes are three different assignments - what exactly did you assign? Parking brake has been released?

Make sure that the two brake axis aren’t backwards - did you try and reverse them ?(checkbox on the axis control in AAO). Also, with MSFS, make sure that the red triangle is in the middle of the axis, not to the side.

Yes I understand, toe brake is assigned each individually Left and right toe brake, the rudder is separately. When i try to reverse them it doesn’t work. I have disabled all axis in MFS. I deleted all axis from the app and started one by one. And even when i assign rudder only it still struggles to move.Now when i disable all axis in the app and enable all rudder axis in MFS everything seems to work.

I’m sorry, but I’ve never heard of a problem like this before. This sounds like something is interfering, another driver or another addon.

Please send an email with your proof of purchase to the address on the last page of the manual. Include screenshots of your assignments in AAO and name the aircraft that you are using it with. Make sure that the axis doesn’t move anything when you don’t assign it anywhere (=not in the sim and not in AAO).

I must urge everyone again to try the demo version first. Make sure that AAO works in your specific environment before purchasing the app.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have sent you an email. I will provide proof of purchase and several screenshots. I did try the demo, but now that i think about it i didn’t uninstall the demo version. I simply just install the one from simmarket over the demo.