Axis and Ohs: Help and questions

Hello @ll,

the issue that @FlightSim340 experienced was caused by duplicate assignments of the same axis in AAO and the Logitech app. It is generally recommended to only use a single app dealing with controllers.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Is there a easy way to look for the specific function i’d like to map? Eg I am trying to find “Engage selected air speed mode” in the A320 to a key, but there are multiple related functions related to set speed in AAO, is there an easy way to know which one is which?

No, I’m afraid there isn’t. What you see in AAO are the values and descriptions as they appear in the SDK documentation. Nobody really knows what they do or if they do something at all (= a lot are there because they were there in FSX, but there may not be any code behind them). It is the same trial&error routine like it always was.

Additionally, with MSFS aircraft there may not even be a way to activate a certain function. The aircraft doesn’t have to rely on or listen to simulator events. Instead, many features in the Asobo planes are local only to the specific cockpit - they can only be activated with the mouse, nothing else. Other features may only work in certain modes or situations.

Finally, there are simulator events that have not been published by Asobo yet. It is entirely possible that there is one that does what you want, but currently nobody knows what it is called. If you find out the exact name/ID, then you can use it in an RPN script in AAO.

Hello @ll,

what @Recoiless1847 wrote is a case of non-published sim events. There is an event to switch between managed speed and selected speed mode, but it is not in the SDK documentation.

You have to create two RPN scripts in AAO:

1. “Managed Speed Mode” with the code 2·(>K:SPEED_SLOT_INDEX_SET)
  2. “Selected Speed Mode” with the code 1·(>K:SPEED_SLOT_INDEX_SET)

Assign these scripts to buttons as desired.

The same goes for the other AP attributes, I found the following too:
K:VS_SLOT_INDEX_SET
K:HEADING_SLOT_INDEX_SET
K:ALTITUDE_SLOT_INDEX_SET

For now, you have to use RPN scripts. I will include these events into the native list too in the next version of AAO.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Hi @LorbySI,

Great thanks for your help. Definitely gave me more context to this.

Sorry, I am new to this, where do I start looking for these codes you mentioned if I would like to try other stuff?

The only option is to analyze the Javascript code of the default instruments. Asobo developers are the only people who can possibly know about these undocumented event IDs, and if we are lucky, they use them in their Javascript code at some point.

If you send me your order number by private message or email, you can test 1.77 that has these events built in (= no need for the RPN scripts).

I started playing around with this last night, finally. I now have a few questions about setting up my X-Touch.

1. After setting up most things with the Toggle event I noticed that you can set things up with a dual function, like On or Off. I take that to mean if the button is lit you can set that to On and if it is not lit that can be Off. If so that would be a better option than like “Toggle AP”, and the only things I can think of that should use a Toggle event is FLC and VS. But there doesn’t seem to be a toggle option for FLC so there is that.
  2. Is it possible when using the Encoders to set them up like this? Set first for say Altitude, it changes in increments of 100 and IF you press the Enconder it now changes in increments of 1000. I think that is how Turk did it but it has been months since I maybe saw that. I now know how to change the amount of increment change, after reading the documentation from Lorby, but havent gone back to A&O yet to check that out.

I am now trying to figure this out as Update 6 and now 7 has really, for me, messed up using the mouse to change things with knobs and wheels in the sim. The controls keep sticking and maxing oout in either direction so it has become imperative that my 69 year old brain gets this figured out.

1 Like

@LorbySI will have to answer your first question (I suspect scripting is involved) but as far as #2 that’s entirely doable and combos are going to be the subject of my next guide
which I hope to write soon(ish).

In a nutshell, here’s how I set up encoder #5 to increase alt in 100s and 1000s.

100s:

1000s:

You create two assignments for increasing ALT. One goes by 100, the other goes by 1000. For each, assign a combo button (in this case, clicking the encoder).

For the 100s, note that I have both “Suppress Key Down Event” and “Is Toggle” checked.

For the 1000s, only “Is Toggle” is checked.

Repeat for decreasing ALT. You can also do this for the NAV and COM radios, switching between MHz and kHz.

It took me a little while to wrap my head around what’s going on here but with careful reading of the AAO manual and some experimentation it started to make sense.

Eventually when the SDK gets improved, I hope to have an encoder that will work for the FMS dial and be able to switch between the outer and inner dials.

Hope this helps! I do plan on continuing with my guide but it’s difficult finding the time right now.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Your explanation makes sense somewhat and will help me get it setup, I think.

On the other thing, the more that I think about it, for VS and FLC, you should only have to have a button to turn them ON. They both should turn OFF when desired ALT is reached. I am going to try the others, ALT, AP Master, FD, NAV, YD, in the ON and OFF like I described. I will try these out this afternoon when I have some time to get back to the sim.

How have you setup VS Speed. Right now I have 2 buttons, VS Speed + and VS Speed-. Or do you use an encoder?

Currently I just have VS mode assigned to a button, the plan is to have FLC mode assigned to the same physical button but on the 2nd layer, if that makes sense.

VS+ and VS- are assigned to their own buttons.

This is what my assignments currently look like for now:

Very much a WIP but might give you some ideas on how you’d like to set yours up. Note that I’m not going for total realism, I just want certain functions handy (and I like pressing buttons and seeing lights :smiley: )

Where did you get the Layout Template from? I am using some tape to label things ATM.

I took the custom template from Taktility (https://www.taktility.com/overlays/xtouch-mini/) and converted it to PSD format so I could play with it in Photoshop.

As I test and change things, I just print the template out on thick paper. Once I get things the way I want I’ll probably order a proper overlay from Taktility.

1 Like

Thanks, I will see what I can figure out with what I have available. I don’t have PS but do have Illustrator

That is correct. The FLC events aren’t even documented in the SDK, I found them by accident. Maybe there is a toggle too, but I didn’t find it.

You can control the LEDs on the Behringer with an RPN script in AAO. You send MIDI Out events to the device, with values according to the state of the simulator variable that is associated with the event. With FLC that will be tricky, because there isn’t a documented variable in the SDK. It is possible that it is one of the managed/selected variables like “AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE SLOT INDEX” or “AUTOPILOT VS SLOT INDEX”. There are also undocumented events to switch between managed and selected modes for each AP attribute, see my post above, from 6 days ago. These can only be used in RPN - Scripts in AAO 1.76, but I have included them in the internal lists in the 1.77 too.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Loryby, now that I think of it, the button may not work for the On/OFF like I thought. You press it once and the light comes on, press it again and the light goes off. But I am guessing that doesn’t correspond to Button Up or Down. So TOGGLE may be the way to go. I am just running it through my mind as I can’t get to actually trying it out until this afternoon.

In the Xtouch configurator, I have all buttons set to momentary. Toggling happens in AAO, as is controlling the lights on the buttons.

Perfect, the template is in Illustrator format

The main thing to be aware of is that the lights on the Behringer do not correspond at all to the event that you trigger/toggle/switch in the simulator. The X-Touch turns the light on when you click on the button, regardless of what the button does. You have to control those LEDs with an automated RPN script in AAO, like @rottenbk does.

If there is no toggle event in the sim, you can simulate one with an RPN script in AAO, using a local variable.

OK, I am getting there. Got the ALT knob set and working for both 100 and 1000 with a click. VS rate is setup with 2 buttons and all toggles are set. BUT each button takes 2 presses to work. Let’s take AP Master. You press it once and AP comes on, and the button lights up, on AP Panel and on the X-Touch. When you press it again the only thing that happens is the light on the X-Touch goes out but nothing happens in MSFS. Another press then toggles the AP Master Off. Same with VS rate buttons. You have to press the button twice for every 100 increase. Is there any way around that?

1 Like