Azure ATC sound quits without warning - bug logged

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No

Brief description of the issue:

Azure ATC connection is lost without the on-screen warning and without automatically switching to Offline ATC mode.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly any aircraft on an IFR route of at least 1 hour duration between any major International airports during daylight hours.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU5

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This since SU5 bug has 645 votes here:

That’s not a bug, that’s a feature - why would there be an Offline ATC voicepack if the Azure ATC voicepack connection never failed? The Offline ATC voicepack is meant to be there for that reason.
The actual bug is that the Azure offline error message doesn’t pop up, and we are not automatically switched to Offline ATC mode.

But sometimes the red and white switching to offline voices message pops up and all sides of the ATC conversation continue to be heard, albeit in cartoon voices. Other times voices are lost without the offline voices taking their place as described in the 645 vote bug. Maybe in the latter case, the Azure server is overwhelmed by so many connections that it reaches some limit where it can’t even switch voices to offline.

And the Zendesk team have said that they cannot replicate the bug as reported previously, therefore we need to rephrase the question.

I have no doubt millions of MSFS pilots have experienced this, either sometimes or regularly. It’s baffling why Asobo can’t reproduce it.

4 Likes

I have experienced this problem since few months on every flight. I already thought about using the offline ATC. But for that purpose I would need to install the English language pack on my operting system which I do not want to do.

Patric

Maybe instead of testing on an internal PC that is likely unlimited access to Azure, they should test on a Joe Public PC.

3 Likes

Try switching to the second com radio.
So far I have had three or four occasions where this problem has happened. And every time I could get ATC to talk to me again by switching to com2.
So to me that means it has nothing to do with bandwidth, azure, or the individual sound cards etc. It seems to be simply a bug in the software introduced in one of the latest SUs.

It’s a day-1 bug and im convinced its kind of the same whats happening when getting “low bandwith” red pop out and being switched offline and just get washed out textures. think the same happens to the online atc voices …: low bandwith → downgraded to nothing or the offline baby-voice?!

1 Like

No it’s not …. As I have described… switch to COM2 and ATC can be heard again immediately AND switch back to COM1 and ATC is mute again.
And this NEVER happened to me at all until the last SU. I have had a much slower ISP the first 12 month after release.

No such luck for me, I just tried this on last few legs of a flight in the default 172. Out of interest, do you have AI traffic running?

I have tried this many times. It worked once or twice only.

1 Like

Offline AI and FSLTLTraffic Injector…though I do forget the latter occasionally.
I do not have the muted ATC as often as some folks it seems. But when it did happen it was usually with a more complex aircraft like the PMDG DC6 or 737.
Though I did also have it with the Quest Kodiak, and that was also on a relatively short flight.
Still switching from COM1 to COM2 did bring the normal voice back immediately.

And that is the problem with the offline voice pack. English for msfs is ok for me but in rl my computer speaks german to me and i will not change that for a buggy sim and devs that refuse to fix a bug that is two years old!

Since this bug is two years old it must have been a very old SU. And that trick did never worked out for many others.

In my case its a question of time. Sometimes it takes only 15 minutes, usually 20-30 minutes but it happens in 80% of my flights actually.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

On Xbox ATC is suddenly muted, the co pilot still response. Switching to comm 2 can sometimes to hear both sides again

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Bug here: Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds