Back in Time – World War 2 Exploration Guided Tour – Episode 1

BACK IN TIME – World War 2 Exploration Guided Tour – Episode 1

Dear fellow pilots,

Welcome to this guided tour through aviation history in MSFS.

IN A NUTSHELL

What Fun & Fascination Discovery – World War 2 aviation history
When Wednesday, January 20, 1930 UTC
Duration 1.5 hours (approx.)
Server North Europe
Voice Chat On the official FS 2020 Discord event channel: https://discord.gg/msfs. Please use Push-To-Talk (PTT) for a clean chat
Aircraft Small, cruise 100 kts, with a low wing for good visibility in turns. Recommended: DR400, Mudry Cap 10
Scenery Included below is a custom scenery file with Point of Interest (POI) markers

A calendar entry .ics is available here: Calendar entry

FLIGHT PLAN & SCENERY

FLIGHTPLAN: VFR Flotta Isle Airport (EGZQ) to Wick (EGPC).pln (2.9 KB)

SCENERY WITH POI’s: POI Scenery link

INTRODUCTION

This multiplayer guided tour is the first in what may become a series. This tour is inspired by Steeler2340’s earlier ‘Tell’ guided tours through Switzerland.

In this 1.5-hour flight we will visit and explore a handful highly interesting locations that featured prominently in the Second World War in the air and at sea. If you do not know where to look, you would most likely pass over them without noticing. A very small scenery file is included with custom POI’s of the relevant objects. Do not forget to install and enable MSFS to show POI’s.

Each objective has a super story attached to it. And I will fill the transit flights between them with some useless chatting.

Because of the difficulty to see the objects, I recommend setting your MSFS time around noon for good daylight and visibility. An overcast or broken sky would add immensely to the atmosphere of the place. If you choose to use live weather, be prepared! You may not be able to complete the flight or see the objectives. The area is not known for favorable flying weather….

The event is open and suitable for all pilots of all skill levels.

FLIGHT DETAILS

We will start from Flotta airfield (EGZQ), and land at Wick (EGPC).

Flotta has a single narrow, sloped runway (RWY 34 goes downhill). Choose your direction of takeoff with due regard to wind. Starting uphill, overweight and with a tailwind is likely to make your flight a very short one. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to rejoin the pack. The default 50% fuel should be sufficient.

Flight altitudes are typically 500’ – 1500’. There are some rolling hills, no mountains. We will not make an intermediate stop for drinks or restroom breaks.

Autopilot can be used but I recommend manual control to circle the objectives.

SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone. If you loose view of the others…. be patient and follow the route. Alternatively, switching to another server and back may help.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired .
Weather Overcast or Broken Clouds preset OR Live Weather (at your own risk)
Time of day Suggested 1200 AM local (1200 UTC)

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

5 Likes

Excellent idea!! Love it :slight_smile:

Will try to make it! Sounds educational and entertaining!! Thanks!

I am totally looking forward to this! I must say that I am quite a “world war II buff” - not a “research” kind of type, but interested in the topic in the general sense. And I have watched many (YouTube ;)) documentations of all formats, from indivual events and battles to “large scale explanations” of “what happened”.

Nowadays I am mostly interested - or touched by - individual characters or groups and their fate/destinity, e.g. how people heroically helped Jews to escape, what soliders/small platoons on all sides had to go through, bomber crews freezing in high altitudes and flying into certain death (and bringing death and destruction to civil people), civil resistance sabotaging enemy’s communication lines in France, Africa, … like literally everywhere on this planet! it is those “little puzzle pieces” which make this event so unbelievable in size!

And each type you watch this kind of documentation about an individual person, event, battle, atrocities being done etc. the whole “picture” just gets bigger and bigger - and each time you think that “now I have grasped its dimensions”, the picture starts growing again. Not sure if I use the proper words here, but I hope you kind of get what I am trying to say here :slight_smile:

So Scotland and WWII… this is still kind of an “unpainted area” for me when it comes to WWII events and history, I am totally looking forward to this guided tour tonight! Besides, Scotland is a beautiful country (maybe we should have postponed this a little bit until after the “UK update” for FS 2020 ;))

1 Like

Do I just put the scenery file in the Community folder?

Further… Please explain in detail what goes where after the scenery zip file is unzipped. I tried the unzipped subdirectory in my Community file, but the Sim would not start properly.

Thanks.

The unzipped folder goes into the community folder. So it should be :
…> Community > Back in time 1 POIs >
This is very simple & small scenery. If MSFS does not start I have no solution. I’m sorry
It works for me a a few others.

Thanks all – got it worked out. I think I first used something other than 7Zip to unpack it. Works fine now installed in Community folder.

Hi guys. This is my first time installing a scenery. I am not seeing it appear in the game. I’ve put the file into the community folder. Does it need to be extracted once it is inside, or is it just a drag and drop and automatic from there? Do I need to do anything in-game to load it? Thank you! Also, maybe it’s loaded and I’m just not seeing it on the world map? Thanks again. See you soon (hopefully)!

You should unzip it using 7-zip. That should give you a folder. That goes into the community folder.
Also, in MSFS options -> assistance -> navigation aids: enable to show POI’s.

I got it! THank you!

I have seen it happening before, that only 7Zip seems to unpack correctly, and the Unzip in Windows does not.

It’s a great day for flying!

Do i have to install FlightEventClient for this?

No not necessary

1 Like

Voice channel https://discord.gg/wKPtGhK2
Channel Flight 05 (ptt)

how to join voice?]

On Discord

Tank you very much, will join your next flight!
Diogenes

Good fun guys , thanks. Just couldn’t get the voice to work though - and that’s cause it was my first time on Discord hehe. Look forward to flying in Normandy next!