Baron 58 Mixture Control Inop

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? no

NO

Brief description of the issue:

Baron 58. After last update, can no longer lean mixture. Levers move but no changes in temp or fuel flow

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Use takeoff settings for takeoff. Reduce RPM to climb to altitude. Toggle ENGINE button on MFD then LEAN and ASSIST. Attempt to reduce the mixture on each engine. Tempurature and fuel flow should change. No Changes. Mixture levers move but have no effect on engine performance.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest recent upgrade.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

No

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Potentially a mod issue?? I’m running the standard Garmin with no mods (no mods on the AC also), and I can definitely get changes in fuel flow. I tested it at 5000 MSL to make leaning more obvious. However, even on the stock Garmin, the CHT doesn’t appear to change in the time I watched the gauge.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

There are no mods for the Baron, only stock is available. The fuel flow changes with “throttle” movements but engine is leaned using the mixture lever and watching for change in cylinder head temperature. the G1000NXI has a menu in the MFD for engine leaning. Temp will increase as engine is leaned and fuel flow will decrease until peak. The mixture is then advanced until the fuel flow increases by 20%. Seems that worked fine before the last upgrade. Apparently the code is locked by Asobo so no community mods have been able to be developed. Sad because it would be the perfect aircraft to practice engine failures.

You contradicted yourself. You’ve got the NXi mod installed. I did my testing on the default Garmin.
The only thing I did to change fuel flow was to adjust the mixture. I never touched the throttles during the test.
So I think the problem is with the NXi mod, not the sim beta. You might want to check with the default Garmin and confirm it’s an NXi issue, and report it to their discord channel.
Regards

Do you have automixture on in your assistance settings?

@Synoxys787
Nope. Don’t have any assists turned on. The mixture responded as I would expect (except CHT didn’t move), including shutting down when I pulled back a little too far :grinning:!
The FF didn’t move when it was idling on the ground (other than shutting the engine down when pulled all the way back) but the FF is very low while idling, so it’s hard to see any movement, that’s why I tested at altitude to get better feedback on the FF changes. You could run up the engines on the ground, but I was concerned about trying to get valid CHT readings at the same time I was testing fuel flow.
Regards

The mixture in the Baron has never worked, for anyone
 its been reported probably a hundred times but its not eye candy so Asobo doesnt seem to care

2 Likes

Uh I don’t really know what you’re talking about? I have not flown the Baron since SU7, but when I did then and all the times before that I can remember, the mixture functioned as I would expect from a default aircraft. Sure the CHTs aren’t especially realistic but the EGTs and fuel flow reacted when the levers were moved. You needed to lean the mixture as you climbed to maintain max power, and you could even run lean of peak in cruise.

Would love to see a video of whatever it is you are describing, because it sounds like a new bug with SU8 or some kind of user error.

I just got finished flying the Baron 58 in Japan at 12k ft. The mixture control worked fine for me.
The higher I went, the more I had to lean the mixture to maintain RPM.

Sure, unless its been fixed, but I could move my mixture levers through the entire range and see zero fluctuations in RPM or CHT, unless I went to lean and cut-off the fuel all together.

On any aircraft with variable pitch/controllable pitch props, you won’t see a change in engine RPMs when you lean the mixture. Mostly just changes in CH temperature and fuel flow rates for a given throttle setting.
Regards

I use the Baron a lot and the temp and fuel have always changed as I expected.

1 Like

When you start to pull the mixture too lean you’ll certainly see the rpms drop
 At any rate, I’ll give it another shot today but I’m certainly not the only one with this issue - just do a search for “Baron mixture”

Yea, if you lean to the point of starving the engine, you’ll certainly see a drop in RPM, right down to the point of stopping! Kind of like asking a sub captain if the boat can go down
 it will go down like a rock if you don’t do it well. :thinking:

But the point was that you won’t see a change in RPM for normal leaning like you would with a fixed pitch aircraft. Too many people think they’ll see the same affect on a variable-pitch aircraft as they do on a fixed pitch aircraft as it relates to engine RPM when leaning for peak performance/lower fuel consumption.
One of the things we don’t have access to (without going out of sim) is access to the MP/RPM charts and subsequent fuel flow rates. And in reality, leaning for cruise performance in the G58 is very easy, and is normally done by leaning until FF hits the dynamic blue line marker on the Garmin FF indicators! But that’s no where near included in the sim yet!
Anyway, sorry to hear some folks are having the issues, but as with all things in the sim, it works well for most, and for some reason, not so well for others. Hope they get it sorted!
Regards

20 degrees lean of peak or 20 degrees rich of peak are the usual settings, if you look in the Baron POH. Works fine with the fancy G1000nxi EGT gauge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep a completely unmodded sim for testing, so I haven’t tested with the NXi much in this version. It’s great if they included the EGT info!! Have they included the dynamic blue FF markers yet??
I really need to do more testing with their model!!!
Thanks!

There is an ‘Assist’ mode which keeps track of the peak EGT and shows the current EGT difference compared to it. Makes it easy to set the mixture 20 degrees lean or rich of peak as per the POH.

1 Like

Ya, I fully understand what the mixture does, and doesn’t do in real life
 but you’re right, some folks have more issues than others, but the amount of problems everyone has, is still too much for the price several of us paid, in my opinion.

ALL the default aircraft should have been rock solid from the start. I remember first time I gave the Baron one notch of aileron trim and it started snap-rolling on me. That is just unacceptable to me.

I have the Baron and I know it cost me about me about $4. The deluxe cost less than $80 dollars extra and gave me 10 new aircraft and 10 new airports. I like them all especially at that price $80/20 =$4.

Well I like some of the airports, so I guess those only cost me what, maybe $0.000004/each, so I should be thrilled, I guess
 right?

btw, here’s a screen shot of the inop mixture. I let it fly in the this configuration for about two minutes before taking the screenshot.