Behringer X-Touch mini works flawless

Hey all

I’d like to try and use the slider to change elevator trim.

I’m using spad.next - does anyone know or has anyone setup the slider for this? Could do with a few pointers. :slight_smile:

Try this … Personally don’t use … but it works … sort of … :laughing:
@CaptMatto

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with it too and that was the only workaround I found but it’s not ideal unfortunately. With this solution in C152 JPL elevator trim will only move from -9% to 9% (max is ± 50%) so the range is not that much useful and acceleration doesn’t work.

I would have hoped to make it work via axis values and event AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET or similar, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Best to check directly in spad.next Discord.

2 Likes

If only we could get to customize that axis instead of using the default 0-127 range, we might have better luck but I can’t see any “Custom Axis Configuration” option of Behringer’s encoders or fader. Most likely because spad won’t recognize the fader as an axis but as a encoder controlled via a MIDI CC channel.

Another option was to use clockwise/counterclockwise turns with ELEVATOR TRIM PCT value (nevermind that spad will complain that it may have issues) and increase/decrease it by 1 or 2, which gave me a larger range in C172’s ±100% trim. However this won’t use absolute fader values so if AP is enabled and trim changes its offset, the fader will be all over the place then and will need recalibration.

2 Likes

OK I think I’ve got it @CaptMatto

1. I create the following expression to store in a local variable (let’s call it “XTOUCH_FADER_TRIM” or whatever, I renamed it to “XTOUCH_MINI_R_FADER_ELEV_TRIM” after I took those screenshots):

Using the following “logic” (sort of…):

([LOCAL:MIDI_X_TOUCH_MINI_CONTROL_9]-63)*256

Since the fader works between 0-127, we need to split it to 0-63 and 64-127 and then normalize these to positive 0-16383 and (-16383)-0 ranges which is what Simconnect elevator trim axis expects. Pretty horrible but it does the job I think.

1. Then I set up my fader axis like this:

This seems to utilize the entire range of the elevator trim wheel regardless of the airplane and (I hope) it should be compatible with AP controlling the trim because I’m now using fader absolute values.

ps: there’s probably a 10x better way to implement this but I really couldn’t think of anything else right now. Mostly because I’m using my Bravo wheel to adjust trim and I never thought of using the fader for anything at all. But now what I’ve found a workaround (albeit very crude), I may repurpose the fader for something else, e.g. internal lights.

3 Likes

Great thread going here… I just rcvd an X-Touch Mini and got started with this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

First aircraft I’m setting up is the Working Title CJ-4, my fave.

I’m using GitHub - maartentamboer/X-Touch-Mini-FS2020: Control FS2020 with a Behringer X-Touch Mini with great results. Ver 1.8.1.

There are a few functions that don’t work… wondering if I need to download/install Mobiflight for some of the functions to work?

Or perhaps there have been changes to the way the Sim addresses some functions as the version I’m using was last updated mid August 2021. Some SimVars may have changed? Or the values in SimConnect?

As you can tell by my questions, I’m just getting started so please feel free to start with the basics…I need all the help I can get :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Additional info:
Standard config so far, I haven’t changed any assignments.

The following functions are working correctly:
Encoders (and encoder pushbuttons) for Heading, Baro, Altitude, V Speed and Comms.
The slider set-up for Speed Brake (thrilled with the way this operates).
Pushbuttons for AutoPilot, YD, Battery, Landing Gear.

The problematic functions:
Lnav, FLC, VS, Vnav

yes you need the mobiflight-event-module addin for some of the hidden events.

1 Like

Thank you!

Hello everyone. I have an X-Touch Mini on order and I’ve been doing a lot of reading on here about how to setup and program the unit.

It looks like I have to possible paths to choose from:

X-Touch-Mini-FS2020.exe/spad.next with MobiFlight
or
AxisAndOhs

I was curious as to which is the simplest to implement and work with, and which give access to the most features within the sim aircraft.

At the moment I am leaning toward AAO. The dev looks to be very involved with the community and continues to update and improve the software.

I have a basic understanding of scripting that looks to be a requirement for both approaches to carry out some more complex functions. I’m just looking for GA aircraft COM/NAV tuning and switching, AP functions, and some basic aircraft systems (lights etc).

Thanks

The x-touch-mini-msfs software works but it’s finicky and more difficult to customize if you’re not a programmer of some sort. But it’s free. Haven’t used A&Os unf but that or Spad.next are both popular payware options that appear to work with the X-Touch Mini.

2 Likes

Are there any free Simconnect Event monitors out there, so I can click a button in the cockpit and see what event is fired? I know spad has a free trial period. Thanks

1 Like

oh nice, figured out to fine-tune the time!

"event_up": "CLOCK_MINUTES_INC",
"event_down": "CLOCK_MINUTES_DEC",

3 Likes

Don’t forget SPAD.Next will also program the x-touch. I chose that over the others you have listed and no regrets whatsoever. Great interface and very intuitive. I have not used the others so I can’t give a head to head comparison. SPAD.Next has a trial so no need to take a risk with a purchase. Previously you needed the complete version for something like EUR90 to use midi stuff but midi programing (like x-touch) is now included in the basic version for MSFS.

3 Likes

That looks great. I’ll have to give it a go. Thanks.

Hi, it works nicely with x-touch-mini-FS2020 and mobiflight and easy to program. There are some examples working with x-touch-mini-FS2020

I’d say my only gripe with spad and xtouch mini is that I have two of these, each configured and also labelled differently.

But spad doesn’t seem to be able to distinguish one xtouch from the other, so whichever I connect first will be #1 and the next will be #2 (so they’ll immediately pick up their individual settings). If I connect them in the reverse order, I’ll have reverse settings which I can’t quickly swap from within spad.

Not an issue for those who have permanent installations, but I disconnect/reconnect my peripherals all the time so I need to remember which one to connect first.

There may be a workaround for this, if I somehow set each device’s unique ID directly from Windows and then edit spad’s XMLs but I haven’t bothered to figure it out yet.

Other than that the combination of spad with xtouch (or any other midi device for that matter) is dreamy. I paid 90eur for it and it’s still the most vfm software I’ve ever bought for what it does and how easy it does it.

I wondered how SPAD would deal with having more than one x-touch. Thanks for the insight and a consideration if I get a second one. I may end up getting the complete version when Xplane 12 comes out. Besides that you’re right that it is a dreamy combination.

Hi, I’ve written 2 config.json files for C172 legacy and C172 G1000 to use with x-touch-mini-FS2020. AS I’ve also a Bravo Honeycomb, these 2 configs don’t implement AP but they provide all you need else.
Edit : Sorry, it doesn’t work as expected. Working on it

1 Like

Hi everyone. I have a X-Touch Mini, using AAO to interface with the sim. I have no issues setting up the commands going to the sim, but I cannot get the X-Touch to respond to midi out commands to control the LEDs.

The X-touch has all the LEDs illuminated, including the Layer A and B buttons. I’ve reinstalled the firmware and no difference.

Thanks

yes, can you post the configs somewhere?