Beta build for SU8

Did I get it wrong or in the last Q&A Asobo said there would be a SU8 beta just after the release of WU?

5 Likes

You got it right.
Link below

2 Likes

That’s literally what they said, no more, no less. However, “Just after” (or maybe it was “right after”) is pretty vague. I’d guess sometime in the next week – can’t really say more than that until there’s some official communication but they’ve been mum on that since the q&a. Would be great if someone at Asobo in the know could fill us in.

3 Likes

“After” the World Update can mean anytime between this past Monday and Feb 28. They were clear that they want to get get it out early to get maximum testing, so I would expect it in the next week or so. But they gave no specific window. Only that it would be after the world update.

2 Likes

I think we can rule out today since they released the navdata update – I just don’t see them releasing two separate updates in the same day, even if one of them is an optional beta.

2 Likes

In reality, the beta for SU8 should have started about 2 weeks ago if they really wanted to do it right.

4 Likes

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out with the first open public beta of a full sim update; ideally they’ll be releasing multiple (weekly?) builds as they respond to feedback.

1 Like

Last time, they had a full 4 weeks. They released a beta update with a bunch of fixes halfway through. But then they launched was was basically the second beta without any new fixes as the final release. Since it’s this late in the game in this cycle, I don’t have high hopes for this beta being as effective as the last one, as they won’t have as much time to work on it.

What SHOULD happen if they want to do this right.

• Launch public beta at least 6 weeks before scheduled launch of the update
  • collect tester feedback and work on fixes for 2 weeks
  • release new beta update with said fixes
  • give testers 2 weeks to report back on fixes or new issues
  • release new beta with new fixes
  • take feedback for 1 week, repair final issues
  • test internally for 1 week and prepare final code for launch.
  • launch public release.
16 Likes

I thought they would beta fly SU8 six weeks? Release date end of March. But I could have misheard this?

And they are looking to completely uncouple the wu from the su branches, which would give them two months to test and release.

SU8 release date was moved from Feb 22 to 1 Mar. That leaves exactly 27 days until SU8 as of today.

That’s exactly the point I was making in my post. But they’re not actually following through with their intentions, it seems. Although I’m not surprised.

EDIT: they actually have uncoupled the WUs and SUs. This latest WU was the first to be released with world content only. So to properly do the 6 week beta they were talking about, the SU8 beta should have been out and in testers’ hands 2 weeks ago.

4 Likes

If they release the beta this week, I would say it’s a little bit too late.
There might not be enough time to fix any feedback from the beta tests.

But. IMHO Late is better than never. At least they can log the reported bugs and fix it on SU9 :slight_smile:

Let’s hope that this week is the week.

2 Likes

Goes to show how serious they are in flighting. Even if the beta goes live tomorrow, we will only have 23 days to test the build and give feedback. Will there be enough time left for the Devs to take in all that feedback and implement possible fixes before 1st march? I guess not. What a fail.

You’re absolutely right about the release date. I think I may have mixed up things here. Thanks for correcting!

1 Like

Maybe but 3 weeks of optional beta testing is much improved to previous situations (sim update 5 :scream:) and hopefully any game breaking bugs could still be fixed/removed before mandatory update time

2 Likes

There’s still probably enough time for them to do one interim build if anything that’s both egregious and low-hanging fruit is found – for example, when they accidentally divided flaps in half.

In any case if we don’t see the beta this week it’s a pretty clear indication that they’ve fallen even farther behind schedule; fingers crossed that’s not the case.

1 Like

They need to get a move on with this beta, a week has passed since WU7 release, a week we could’ve been finding serious issues that could be fixed for SU8. With time running out the chances of further fixes during the beta get slimmer by the day…

maybe they can drop it at the end of the day

you’ve got any information about it?

@VivaceDegree988,
There’s been no official announcement yet. Any announcements will be made in #community:news-and-announcements

You can get notifications by putting a watch on that category by going to it and clicking on the “bell” icon.

1 Like