Big Fps drop SU6 LOD200-400 CPU Hit

LOD increase has little to do with the GPU. The CPU is going to take the biggest hit.

7 Likes

Ah ok i didn’t realise this, would it cause one of my cores to max out though and be limited by main thread?

Definitely. All a function of what the CPU is busy with. Depending on the number of processes running concurrently, it has been the cause of many headaches dating back to day 1. Open your Windows performance monitor when the sim is NOT running and see where the load is at. Some users have been surprised when they see all the bloat in the background.

1 Like

Same problem with a rtx 3090 and i7 10700k. waht a bad update :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

How does allowing users to increase detail IF their system can handle it, make this a bad update?
Users with hi-end systems were asking that they be allowed to increase the visuals after the general reduction previously hamstrung them. Asobo listened and gave users the opportunity to max out their systems again. If your system can’t manage it, don’t do it.

51 Likes

Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve set the new LOD slider to 330 or 350 and it works fine for me. 3080, i9-9900k, 32gb RAM.

When I had it at 400, my fps tanked (at 4k HDR resolution). This is expected – and I’m totally fine/happy with it as I’d rather have the control over my visuals vs being forced to have lower resolution or lower LOD draw distances.

Also the bigger airports are where I see the most FPS drops, but that’s expected too.

1 Like

a bad update?? WHAT? This is an amazing update. Things look back to how they were pre SU5. I love it. Try lowering your LOD to 250 or 300 - does that get better for you FPS wise?

6 Likes

performens is worse than before with same settings (200lod). And in the dev stream the speak of no big hit on performens site with 400 lod.

2 Likes

And you’re certain it has nothing to do with your system? Did you clear rolling cache? Are you in a populated area? Give it a day or two. I promise it’s much better.

1 Like

yes i do this. but again one core have 100% again and big fps drops!

3 Likes

I’ve got the same problem one core maxing out

2 Likes

You know what has happened (to some, not everyone):

1. New Update offers higher setting for LOD
  2. Cool! I’m crankin’ that baby all the way to 400! Woo hoo!
  3. FPS drops
  4. Curse Asobo

As already stated, MSAsobo has done what we all wanted. I had a GTX1070 and now I have an RTX 3080. If I’d have still had the old 1070, I’d have had to set the LOD down. But it is as smooth as butter on 400 now. So if you have a great system, crank away. Otherwise, settle for lower settings.

30 Likes

This is all well and good, and I totally agree in principle with you.

But the devs said in the last Q&A that there would be very little performance decrease with the 400 Terrain LOD, my FPS has halved. And overall don’t get anywhere near as good performance/graphical quality balance as I did pre SU5.

Also still various other graphical downgrades that make the sim not as good as before SU5 but these are outside with scope of this thread.

2 Likes

I remember when i was a kid. I got C&C: Tiberian Sun. My computer couldn’t handle it, crashed every time i tried to play it. So i ended up playing it round a friends since they had a better PC. Another notable game was Crysis which kept crashing so me & my brother upgraded the PC.

Point is, once in a while a game comes along that decides to rightfully push the boundaries. MSFS isn’t just a current-gen game. They’ve said multiple times it’s a 10yr plan type sim, which will mean continual improvements. Just because they add more options, it doesn’t mean you have to or should increase your settings unless you can. Every year new & better CPU’s/GPU’s etc. get released. I’d much rather MSFS continued to improve for those that can rather then purely sticking to the past.

Hopefully they work on all aspects.

4 Likes

100% correct. They even knew this would happen, per their own Q&A about “you will still see a performance hit!”

2 Likes

yueah my settings changed too BUT sim runs better and looks amazing now, especially the clouds and the ground

I’m pretty sure they actually said there wouldn’t be much of a performance hit…

But I could be wrong!

2 Likes

No I don’t think you’re wrong… it’s all relative though. What resolution are you? 4k will have a bigger impact/hit than 1080 or 2k (obviously). We don’t know what resolution Seb was showing (or was it 4k? I don’t recall to be honest). But they did say that cranking the settings up would impact performance. Which is just logical.

I am hoping some of the issues you’re experiencing are more “day 1” update stuff or server outage stuff… we will see in the next few days.

2 Likes

Just on 1080p, 9700k and a 3070.

2070 super i9900k 1080 p here and I get the same fps with 200 or 400 (around 40-45) but it seems to be stuttering now and then so ill Keep 200 setting,Got to say the 400 looks extra crisp.no big performance Hit for me after su6