Big Fps drop SU6 LOD200-400 CPU Hit

Mucking about with it a bit this evening. The sim does look extra incredible now. I’ve got a 5600X and an RTX3080 and I would say 300% LOD is the sweet spot for extra visual eye candy at not too big a performance hit. Playing in 4K on a 32 inch PC monitor I don’t actually see a massive difference between 300% and 400% anyway but I do see a big performance hit at 400%. I’ll stick to around 300% I think.

They did yeah but there’s a lot of other relative factors though. Are people playing with everything set to ultra? Are they playing in full 4K etc etc? I’m sure you can play at 400% with not too big a performance hit, if you’ve got other things dialled back a bit.

1 Like

Just checked the last Q&A and Sebastian said ‘it costs a little bit in memory and performance , but not so much.’ I would say that my FPS halving is more than a little bit.

5 Likes

Fair points – create a Zendesk ticket. Maybe it is something wrong. I just didn’t have much impact during my experience. Hopefully they’ll continue to work on it.

yep me as well, never had an issue in SU5 even at 200LOD i never had limited by main thread and one of my cores maxing out.

1 Like

Lost about 15 fps going from 100 to 400, so all in all that’s not terrible when increasing it by that much and I expected it. Using an i7-8700 so not a brand new CPU by any means.

When I kept the same settings as pre-SU6, I did not experience any fps loss so that’s good news.

1 Like

Semantics. Turn your settings down.

2 Likes

Just installing SU6 now. Hoping that the performance hit may be nonexistent or minor with the same settings. I’m also hoping that there is no fps drop over long flights, like there was previously…

Can you give me more details? Your system specs, exact coordinates where you experience this big FPS drop. More info I have, more likely I or Asobo can fix it.

I haven’t seen any significant drops during testing. You can disable smoke effects and use rest of the add-on by removing smoke-***.bgl files from it.

Sorry to cause you issues.

1 Like

Seriously: What did you expect…? Double the objects without any fps loss…?

9 Likes

Every update something changes. A minor code adjustment, texture process, image LOD processing, even changes to flight dynamics have an effect on how the code beats on the processors. That said, I always check my processor balance after an update, before making any changes.

Some features are CPU intensive while others have no effect on the CPU but target the GPU instead. It is important to adjust the available settings to maintain at least a 25-30% headroom on the CPU or you will have issues.

Some users swear that you want your GPU running as close to 100% as possible. I am an old school believer in never maxing out electronics. If you crank up your sound system to max the distortion is unbearable. The closer you are to 100% on the GPU the more loss you will get due to heat and switching errors. You can’t hear the difference but you will see the difference. I generally target 85-90% on the GPU.

If you tune every time the sim changes you will always have the best performance/quality available to you. You will have fewer odd problems. Don’t forget that no two chips are the same. One 3080 is going to choke on another’s settings. The same goes for CPUs. Take the time to adjust your settings, paying attention to the CPU intensive stuff first to make sure you always have room to create the data that needs to go to the GPU without making it wait.

The harder you push the more data corruption occurs. If you aren’t happy with the performance you get with the optimal settings and a proper balance, it is time to hit Amazon.

1 Like

We aren’t saying that, we are saying we have a massive hit of FPS not the small amount the claim should happen.

1 Like

I have said it before and ill say it again… If you are going to take the graphics to the MAX then you are really best off locking to 30fps, you get so much more mileage out of your system. All my settings are MAXED and I mean maxed, Traffic, boats, planes, with Pay ware shipping add-ons, I have 390GB of add-on’s, and I sim @4k and I have an RTX 3090… But it is the 30FPS lock that really smooths it out.

I get the odd stutter here and there… It is personal preference but for Flight Sim, you really do not need more than 30FPS.

As of today I fly with the Triple 4’s:

4 Seasons Add-on (Pay ware)
400 LOD
and it all works amazing…

11 Likes

Question you have to ask is, “how close to being main thread limited were you before?”. If your CPU was already at 65% and you added 10% workload, you would barely notice a difference. If you were at 95% and added a 10% load, your fps is going to tank, while your GPU waits for the CPU to catch up.

1 Like

all settings maxed out and both LOD set at 5.0, I have the smoothest sim. fps well over 20 up until 30. smoothness is more important in this sim than a 60 fps. and you can achieve it even at around 15 fps with every other setting maxed.

With the same setting as before the update I am getting struggling to get 25 FPS, before the Update I was 50-60 FPS, this in the FBW A320 at an addon airport like EGKK.

3 Likes

same , don’t know why

1 Like

Make sure you deleted rolling cache and rebooted your system after update.

1 Like

I dont have the world’s best PC 9700K, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, but only on 1080p.

That is a good PC, a very good PC actually. Please humour me and Lock your FPS to 30… Just try it.

1 Like

i was able to have between 45 and 50 fps whit an i7-10875h, rtx 2070 super and 16gb ram with all settings at ultra (it’s a laptop) but now i’m struggling to have 30 fps, i have only between 20 and 25 fps

2 Likes