Big Fps drop SU6 LOD200-400 CPU Hit

Sure, Nvidia CP or in-game?

same for me. with 400 i loose arroind 20fps

5800x 3080 32gb@3200

1 Like

I’m on a i9-10850k - 32gb ddr4, 3080, 1gig internet, samsung g7 32 monitor 1440p 244hz

cpu is 26% but one core is running high from 87-100%, gpu is 26%

excuse quality of pic im using hdr and when i screenshot it for some reason went bad quality

1 Like

and that’s on LOD300

But 50-60 fps does not tell us how close you were to making smoke. 50-60fps could have been with your CPU at it’s max. We have no way of knowing. All it took to push you over limit was maybe a texture change. Might have nothing to do with the LOD. If you are experiencing a dramatic dropoff in performance, you need to reduce the load on your CPU. It is that simple. Depending on what is running you may be at 45-50% CPU load before you even start MSFS.

Just a note for all… (Not picking on @MetalPlains3097 here)
FPS does NOT provide any information on how hard your computer is working. Just turning reflections from high to ultra could cause a 50% drop in fps if your GPU was already at max output. Tuning your performance vs quality is a variation on the old donkey game. He will stand there and let you pile straw until…, SNAP.

Tune for headroom, not FPS alone.

You are correct. Jorg said there was a minor increase in the load put on your system with 400 LOD. That minor increase sounds like one piece of straw too much for your system.

1 Like

As you’re saying my cpu load now without fs2020 running is 2% to 3%

It looks like you have something else going there. 26% CPU and GPU suggests you are being severely throttled somewhere. What are your CPU temps?

These fps losses were with LOD 200. (Actually lower than it was set before).

around 43-48 degrees max when running flight some so nothing bad

Hmmm. Flying in the 787 right now, fps is identical to SU5. Very smoooooooooth :wink:

You don’t seem to picking up what I am putting down.
It sounds like you have broken your donkey’s back. It may not be the LOD. It may be something completely unrelated. It just sounds like you were already maxed and now you are over max.

Maybe you have the same issue as @teletub2020. Have you looked at your system load? Have you tried dropping the settings down to see if your performance returns? What are your CPU core temps?

And who tells the GPU what to draw?

CPU temps 45-50C, GPU 59C

I’m seeing a drop in performance too. All settings unchanged. Similar performance to SU4 but with some degraded visuals compared to SU4.

3 Likes

In Game, Just set the in game options to 30FPS and Locked

Here are three comparison videos showing the impact on my standard test flight. 200 LOD previous v 200 LOD new version shows a 5-10 FPS reduction, so even before moving the LOD slider, the latest update is a little less performant for me. Shifting the LOD to 400 from 200 on the new version costs 10-15 FPS. So I would say that Seb was right - the impact of going to 400 isn’t huge - but the combined impact from old 200 to new 400 is more significant. Still very playable though (in 2K), but I can see why the hit in 4K is more significant

Previous version (WU6+Hotfix) 1.19.9.0 v New version (SU6) 1.20.6.0 with LOD 400/200

Previous version (WU6+Hotfix) 1.19.9.0 v New version (SU6) 1.20.6.0 this time with LOD 200/200

New version (SU6) 1.20.6.0 with LOD 400/200 v New version (SU6) 1.20.6.0 with LOD 400/200

3 Likes

OK, and what does that look like when MSFS is running?

What does what look like?

This…