Big Fps drop SU6 LOD200-400 CPU Hit

3080, 3900x and all on max in 4K.

I don’t see a performance drop with LOD400 yet. Maybe at the approach a little bit, a few FPS, but nothing dramatic

Of course terrain LOD 400 takes its toll, we have seen it previously by modifying the config file manually.
If it’s slow for you, just use LOD 200.

1 Like

Yes, same here. 3900X with 6700 XT. About 20 fps less than before. Same on my other PC, 9600K with 6700 XT. Not smooth anymore.

2 Likes

SU4 Game running at 15fps: What is going on with the fps??? Improve performance!
SU5 Game running at 90fps: OMG a downgrade!! We want better graphics
SU6 Game running at 50fps: What is going on with the fps??? Improve performance!

(Sorry for the joke, it is not meant for the OP xD)

I am using an i9900KF, 32Gb of RAM and RTX3080, 5-10 fps performance loss at LOD400, better performance than before at 200.
I feel like RAM is the key factor here, in my other PC with only 8gb of ram I do experience massive fps loss at LOD400.

4 Likes

LOD still on 200. 32 Gb of 3200 MHz RAM. Game dropped from 60 to 40 fps, 3440x1440.

2 Likes

The LOD sliders have most effect on CPU limited systems, and less on GPU limited systems.
If you were GPU limited you could higher the setting with way less performance loss.

3 Likes

I Saw a performance hit with the mod at 400, but not much, the sim looks really good for me, getting 30 FPS on ground on Big airports with the fbw and everything maxed out and 40 to 45 when airbourne, even if i don’t have the best pc ever (i7 10700kf, rtx 3070, 32g ram). Best update for me so far (didn’t have the sim before su 5).

I also got some CPU hit, but it seems for me that the CPU perfomance was bottlnecked by GPU.

1 Like

what was the pre su6 settings for terrain and object LOD? mine seem to be currently set at 100

Well yes to be honest that is what one would expect. But to me a setting of 200 performs much the same as before. So I did some tests pushing it higher and higher until the setting adversely affected performance. I have then gone back to 250 which I find comfortable under most different situations.
It is a ‘try and see’ situation. This will vary for each setup.

1 Like

What did you expect? That’s perfectly normal.
Games work that way. Increasing graphics quality affects performance.

2 Likes

My problem is not only limited with SU6, but somewhat different. I run the game at 4K and I get the same result in terms of FPS if I switch it back to 1920-1080, how could this be possible I don’t really know. No matter which render scale I choose to, the FPS I get is always the same and I’m limited by mainthread.

My system is;
EVGA RTX 3080
i7-10700K
32 GB 2333 MHz RAM
512 SSD only for MSFS and OS

Slider lod 300 or 400

In usercfg.opt set windowed to 2510 x 1440 same for full screen than
primary to 1.000000 and secondary to 0.7500000, preset to Custom
Save and start the sim > general option and set renderslider to 130 so that it reads 3840 x 2160

set rolling cache to off or delete rolling cache > F11 = aply and save restart the sim

this might work, im on i9 x10900 and 3090

Seems that losing fps for increased LOD is up to the individual, surely that’s why they increased the top limit, but kept the lower option for the majority that aren’t using the very high end GPUs?

1 Like

Yea bruhhh same😂

1 Like

Are you locking it to 30fps in the sim or externally?

1 Like

Even lod 200 draw trees longer out than before the patch, and will therefore decrease performance, I got about 7-8 fps loss with the same settings as before, but the game looks much better, I’m happy with that, nothing comes for free.

2 Likes

Trees draw distance can be reduced on Trees quality option: Medium less distant, Ultra fuller range.

• People with fps issue, need to tweak LOD 200/400 and trees quality medium/high/ultra for newer SU6 distance draw according to their system capability with SU6.

• People that can’t tweak, buy Xbox version, there is no option and no CFG to edit.

3 Likes

He obviously thinks that because he owns a high end gpu, that this automatically means the sim must run with high fps at any setting on any resolution. I mean…he spent so much on hardware, and gta and shooter games run with super high fps, so obviously Msfs2020 should too!

2 Likes

Forget what other people say. Asobo told you that SU6 LOD 400 would be similar to SU4 performance. They’re not wrong.

Watching CPU frame times with all other settings held equal – no config changes, no “well I’m comparing SU5 Ultra to SU6 with some settings on high and some other settings in some other places and I changed just one thing in my usercfg but that shouldn’t matter” - is how we should compare.

Set everything default Ultra, compare LOD 200 with LOD 400. Observe result. Result is 30-40% slower CPU frame times. There, that’s the impact of a massive increase in draw distance.

2 Likes