"Black screen" when starting/installing/re-installing MSFS 2020

HOLY @*&^@ thanks for this i was pulling my hair out. -FastLauch fixed it for me too so its definitely the intro video junk thats issue.

1 Like

yeahā€¦ we recommend this in some threads as the ā€œlast solution we knowā€ and it realy helps some users.

But also an official FAQ recommend this as ā€œtry itā€ :

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015999539-Loading-issues-stuck-on-loading-screen-long-loading-times-stuck-on-black-screen-etc-

Yup did it for me as well after days of searching and changing configs to no avail. Would be nice to think that this solution could be identified more prominantly in the Known Problems section.

would be nice if this becomes the default and if users want to see these video, they have to add the startoption like ā€œSlowMotionLaunchā€ (use at own risc) :rofl:

Unfortunately the -FastLaunch fix isnā€™t working for me. Iā€™m still looking for a solution.

you refere to you own duplicated topic, or ?

Bit confusing where you now want to discuss your issue :wink:

Unfortunately you donā€™t give us some of the , within issue template, requested informations like systems specs, what have you already tried from which faq, etcā€¦

So ,ā€¦ I think about whether I should now repeat all qestions againā€¦

Hello! Regarding this issue - our test team has been looking into this for awhile and have been able to repro the issue, however overnight there were a few changes ( a Windows Update and an nvidia driver update) that occurred and the black screen is gone for them. Iā€™m curious if anyone who has had this black screen bug could check today to see if they still have this issue after either of the above updates?

Thanks!

1 Like

@Jummivana

I just did some testing and I can confirm that the issue persists for me unless I start MSFS with the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag as has been described in this thread. To make sure it was not a coincidence I tested 5 times both with and without this startup flag.

The result was consistent, every time I tried to start MSFS without the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag it would just sit there with a black screen ā€œforeverā€, and every time I tried to start with the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag it would start normally.

1 Like

Yes, now itā€™s working after Windows Update and NVIDIA thanks now no need this
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

Just to follow up on my own post, I still have to use the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag or MSFS will just ā€œhangā€ forever with a black screen. I can confirm that I have the latest MSFS v1.15.7.0 with the latest World Update 4 and all patches installed, running on Windows 10 V 20H2 build 19042.928 (the latest).

My NVidia drivers are the latest, v466.11.

I can also add that since I made this post I have tested if this error is resolved with every change to my NVidia drivers, Windows Updates or MSFS. So far all versions/combinations since I made the original post in this thread has failed and still fail with the dreaded black screen that just ā€œhangsā€ forever.

Still hanging for me. Mouse/keyboard no respons, Alt+F4 closes program. Running Win10 build 21359, NVIDIA driver 470.14

For me it works with windows update KB5001330 installed. But I am getting lower fps so i wanted to try with KB5001330 uninstalled and now I have a black screen on startup. If I install KB5001330 back again then it works without black screen. So whereā€™s the catch?

Strange, I have KB5001330 installed as well and that makes no difference for me, MSFS still ā€œhangsā€ with a black screen unless started with the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag.

Iā€™ve tried it once again and installed KB5001330 and the sim starts fine without black screen. But Iā€™m getting lower FPS which i didnā€™t before the latest patch 1.15.8.

I have the exact same problem!! Without KB5001330, I get a black screenā€¦ with it, it works again, bu with 5FPS less than before the updateā€¦ WTF

I have finally arrived at this tentative solution.
When I launch MSFS without the ā€œ-FastLaunchā€ flag, I get a black screen ā€œforeverā€.
At the time of this event, I could observe that the GPU load (about 70%) was quite high in the task manager of winndows.
My environment is as follows.
Win10 pro 20H2 19042.928
AMD3700X MM32GB GPU RTX2070(462.31)
FS2020 1.15.8.0 (MS Store)

well, it looks like I am in this club now. Rolled back windows update, updated nvidia drivers, tried fast launch, etcā€¦ still dead in the water with unresponsive black screen at sim launch.

fantastic.

after windows update and nvidia driver update I now have this issue. did not have it before.

I too started to experience the hanging at black screen when loading this Sunday past.

Prior to this and after the last MSFS update I experienced stutters that resembled a slide show, couldnā€™t use the sim at all.

The freezing at black screen loading seemed to occur after the last Windows 10 updates (Iā€™m part of the Insider group) so I tried the ā€œfast loadā€ fix and it worked immediately.

I tried restarting the sim using the original shortcut and no luck.
Tried with the ā€œfast loadā€ and all good.

Each time I shut down the PC completely by powering down, waiting a minute and turning it back on.
I uninstalled windows update KB5001330 and the sim would only start using the ā€œfast start fixā€ so this confused me even more.

On Monday I fired up the sim using the original shortcut and to my surprise it loaded properly.
Tried again and all fine.

Received a message about Windows updates, so gambled and went ahead which reinstalled windows update KB5001330.

This time MSFS2020 loaded normally using my normal shortcut.
Also no major stutters in game apart from very heavy scenery, but nothing like beforehand.

Iā€™ve made three flights with the latest version of FBW A320 and all great.

So at the end of the dayā€¦Iā€™m stumpedā€¦but back to flying normally.

Edit: through all this I had an empty Community folder and after ā€œfast load fixā€ only had the FBW A320.

I have noticed with the black screen at sim startup that the program is actually running in the background. I can hear all of the menu sounds and background music, but the screen remains black.

I have rolled back both the latest windows update and the nvidia driver, but that did not help.

also, the fast launch trick does not work for me.

MSFS is dead on my computer until a fix comes along.