Black Square King Air Issues

Here are some issues that I’ve noticed over the last month or so and logged with Just Flight as a support case. For all of these I have Black Square version 1.2, SU11 Stable Version and WT GNS530 version 1.01

Bleed Air Switch Position on Runway

When starting on a runway, the Bleed Air Valves are set to Envir Off rather than open. This will lead to the blue Low Cabin Temperature light coming on when the cabin temp gets cold enough. When starting in the air, both left and right are fully up in Open mode. I’d suggest that this should be the same when starting hot on a runway.

[space]

RESOLVED – Doesn’t give Vertical Guidance on LP+V RNAV Approaches

Flying KLEB to KSLK, over GNVEV at 5,400 with approach active, when turned on to final approach course, GNS530 shows LP+V approach but the HSI Glideslope flag shows no GP. Autopilot never picks up GP. WT GNS530 Early Release, SU11 Stable version.

[space]

RESOLVED – GP on RNAV approach will not show if passing IAF in VS Mode, only works if in ALT mode at IAF.

On an RNAV approach and still in VS mode as I haven’t gotten to IAF altitude yet, the LPV approach will arm in the GNS window but the HSI and Attitude Indicator will flag for no GS and even once arriving at the correct altitude right after, there will be no vertical guidance even though LPV is showing on the 530. The same issue does not happen with the C172, it shows the GP and captures it fine, it seems to only happen in the King Air. To duplicate, I flew with KWVL RNAV 05 approach starting at 5,000’ and Hiram and using VS, arrived at PEYSI at 3,200’ still in VS mode, turning to final approach course. Right after the turn to PEYSI, the GNS will show LPV, go from VS mode to APR mode and the GS flags will flag and there’s no vertical guidance.

Video of BS KA missing GP on LPV approach

This is a REALSIMGEAR Issue and has been resolved – External hardware input causing duplicate waypoints in WT GNS530

I have a RealSimGear 530 box connected to MSFS and using it in the King Air I’m getting multiple entries for each button push as it appears to be feeding to both 530 units. I know little of the back end but are the 530s both linked to the same events rather than GPS1 and GPS2? What are the chances of getting separate models for the different avionics rather than having them all run but be hidden?

Video of Duplicate GNS530 waypoints in BS King Air

It’s such a great plane and platform and the new GNS brings it alive. Thank you and any fix for the GNS input would be appreciated. Edited to add video links and typing mistakes.

Another issue is that some of the cockpit switches are >>ONLY<< addressable via mouse clicks.

Case in point: The Avionics switch in the KA350i.

You can’t map this to any keyboard or mouse or joystick. You HAVE to click on it with a mouse.

Please don’t take the same route that Carenado did with their product line and give up halfway through mapping some of the switches. For us cockpit engineers this is incredibly annoying and makes things needlessly complex.

Pay attention to detail and map EVERY switch to be available to a Joystick/Keyboard event.

ps: If anyone has had any success in getting around this issue I’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Are the blacksquare products known for beeing good or bad in this manner? Things not working etrc, or is this something unusual? I read on further about these aircraft and was blown away by (in a bad way) that they use standard sounds, as well as exterior, and also - the same physics. Is this info really correct. They are not cheap.

The Bonanza had some tweaks to the flight model according to their documentation, but yes, it can mainly be considered a systems depth mod rather than a fully recreated aircraft. That said, the level of systems depth is right up there and arguably one of the best. Every switch, button and lever works and is fully modelled, along with a massive list of failures that can occur. It makes the cockpit come alive in a way that most other 3rd party aircraft cannot.

It is a little pricey though. For ~$10 more you could buy a full, high level, plane like the Blackbird 310R, JF Piper Arrow, or Flysimware C414AW where you get the systems depth, external model and more.

1 Like

The King Air is on my top 5 list, I fly it every week. The execution has been top notch and if I weren’t so addicted to the King Air I’d be on to the new Bonanza they recently released. As good as the plane is, I was hoping for a bit more response with issues. There’s been two updates since the plane came out I think and both were appreciated. I joined MSFS when WorkingTitle seemed to be issuing updates every couple of weeks so I think I’m spoiled by that model Marwan of the HJet fame has been pretty close to that update model as well. Of the issues above, one wasn’t a King Air issue, it was with RealSimGear so I;ll update that above. Good luck and blue skies…

1 Like

I do have a bit of a “hard time” when a dev makes an overhaul of the instruments at this level, and then ust dont mind about getting the flight caracteristic more accurate. Also, there could have been things doen to the extorier model as well. It’s quite a hefty price on these mods.

Mmmmmm… the 310R. =) =) I hope the pipers are updated soon fron JF. The C414AW I dont now much about (too similar to 310R, twin prop…). But please tell me more aobut it. Is it updated evenly? =)

Hopefully someone can help me with the Black Square King Air.

I bought it yesterday and tried to install it.
I even switched off my virus scanner and then I right-clicked on the “Install_BKSQ_Kingair_MSFS_0.1.3.exe” and selected “install as administrator”.

I got the install-shield wizzard window, where the bar ran until 10%.

Then it stucked for several seconds and then it simply disappeared without any further message.

The Windows Eventviewer showed following message (unfortunately in german language)

What can I do?

(I submittet a problem ticket on justflights page, but no reaction until now)

Maybe reboot the PC, redownload again from JF and install without ‘Administrator’ priveleges?

It might be worth a go :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried this, but unfortunately it doesnt help.

But meanwhile someone of the JF-support contacted me.
He said, they have several reports of similar issues in the last days.
Maybe it has to do with windows updates, which are rolled out in the last days.

I really love the analog King Air. Its a great aircraft. However, I tend to only fly GA planes where I can map 95% of all switches and controls to hardware buttons etc. Not being able to map a big use switch like avionics really kills the experience. With all the work that was done to make every switch work accurately and then not be able to map it to hardware seems like a major product strategy issue. People you fly complex GA aircraft likely invest in lots of hardware. You don’t fly planes with a mouse. I have not yet found a way yet to map bleed air correctly with the correct annunciator readouts, avionics, or the inverters on the analog King Air. In my humble opinion the product strategy on mapping for this aircraft should have been anything on the annunciator panels should be mapped at a minimum.

I spent the past 40 years of my career doing product strategy and customer experience management for global companies. So just my two cents on the King Air product strategy.

Haven’t tried this myself, but could you not search for the custom event IDs using something like FSUIPC? If you can, then they should be able to bind a switch to it.

Dont know if this helps or confuses, or is simply irrelevant here, but…

I use the Streamdeck and the vast majority of those functions are available within the Guenseli Streamdeck profile from flightsim.to. I am not at the PC at the moment which means that I cant check exactly, but the variables, etc. must be there for it to operate at all. Bleeds, Avionic switches, inverters etc all function extrememly well.

2 Likes

I used Spad and looked for events and data. In some cases you can locate the data or event, but when mapping it won’t affect switch or function. Looks like its hard encoded. On free planes I understand but on payware I expect every switch able to be mapped. Example the Chancellor 414 every function and switch is mappable except the panel light switch. Which I’m still working on.

A quick reply, direct from the dev for you…

Every function of all the Black Square aircraft can be bound with hardware controls. They may not all be as easy as a single L:Var, but nothing is “hard coded.” Many home cockpit builders have shared their amazing builds with me, and we have been able to connect every feature for them. I tried to put the basics at the top of the Behavior XML’s for the most common inputs and outputs, but I suppose this is more helpful for builders of instrumentation and touchscreen interfaces, like on StreamDeck. As I become better at creating aircraft for MSFS, I find myself paying more attention to 3rd Party hardware, so the Duke should be the best yet. I also add more convenience features to my previous aircraft with every update for cockpit builders. In the meantime, please feel free to contact Just Flight support, and they will put you in touch with me to help configure your specific hardware for the best experience, and discover any features that can be added for the whole community.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! That’s good news. I’m still learning how to map controls. Its a bit daunting at times. Thanks for your thoughtful reply!!

I just bought it, and had a similar experience with SPAD.

I got most mappings done except the starters, and avionics. Even then, when in flight I found all the avionics went out, like a system failure.

I’m going to shelve this for a bit, and stick with the 414, which is just about perfect.

Agree went back to the 414 and the 310 all because both products map pretty easy in SPAD or similar tools. While I really appreciate the developers response that all is doable, I’m not a programmer. Not buying new Black Square products as much any more even though I really want to fly their fantastic planes. Can’t stand the mouse even for just one or two switches. Think about it, many flyers don’t even know how to use SPAD just the sim. I would even pay a lot more for the product if everything was easily mappable and assignable.

2 Likes

The frustrating thing is when you are watching the LVARs as you manually flip the switches, the same doesn’t happen when you map those to a switch.

Even though I got the battery switch working, there is a strange one second delay before the lights come on, which you don’t get if you flip it with the mouse. I’m assuming this is something bus or circuit related but didn’t manage to figure it out with my quick look last night.

I can‘t turn the cockpit lights on no matter what.
The potentiometers in the overhead panel refuse to turn.
I have tried to eliminate light related key bindings in my Bravo controller.
I really want to like this mod, but it is so buggy regarding hardware controller interaction.
Don‘t have that mass of problems with other 3rd party planes or mods.

2 Likes