Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

an impressive list of “New Features” :+1:

4 Likes

Well, I know what I’ll be flying tonight. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Here‘s the link, sorry it took me so long

https://cessna.txtav.com/-/media/cessna/files/caravan/caravan/caravan_short_brochure.ashx

Looks very good!

1 Like

How can we update to this version?

0.1.1 is available at JustFlight now.

1 Like

I love the Caravan. Does anybody knows the vars for the inertial Seperator (default and analog) and for the testbutton of the Annunciator Panel?

Had a quick flight with the new version and flight model much better. Takeoff performance much improved. Inertial sep reduces torque. Much more to explore but kudos to BlkSq for such a quick update.

8 Likes

Oh, thanks a lot. In the last version I use 180lbs, But I will correct it down to 150 lbs in the next version. Kind Regards

1 Like

From the AnalogCaravan.xml:
Turbine Temperature: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_ITT, number”
Propeller Torque: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_TQ, number”
Gas Generator RPM: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_NG, number”
Inertial Separator: “L:XMLVAR_InterSep, bool”
Oxygen Pressure: “L:var_oxygenPressure, number”
Cabin Temperature: “L:var_cabinTemperature, number”
HSI CDI NEEDLE: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_HSI_LOC, number”
HSI CDI TO FLAG: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_CDI_1_TO_FLAG, bool”
HSI CDI FROM FLAG: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_CDI_1_FROM_FLAG, bool”
HSI CDI VALID FLAG: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_HSI_LOC_FLAG, bool”
HSI GLIDE NEEDLE: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_HSI_GLIDE, number”
LOCALIZER 2 CDI: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_LOC_2, number”
LOCALIZER 2 GLIDE: “L:BKSQ_CARAVAN_GLIDE_2, number”

You need to hold this:
L:var_AnnunciatorLightTestButton,·bool
Toggle
L:var_AnnunciatorLightTestButton_IsDown,·bool

2 Likes

I was reluctant to this addon due its price. But with all this new features I have to recognize it became more interesting. Let me ask you: the save state and the failures, we talk something like an A2A plane, where several failures are caused by a bad handling or not following correctly the checklist, or we are talking about mere random failures?

Another concern is I see it needs a lot mods: dynamics, AP, avionics… to much for a 25€ addon, isn’t it? Kodiak is only 29€ (even 20€ in sale), b247 17€!!, sting 24€… if we talk the level of system simulations, failure generation is at the same level of A2A, I could agree then.

But, please, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to to criticize the developer, my only intention is to clarify my doubts about if this product is worth it.

Regards.

1 Like

I went ahead and created a simple checklist file so you can view the normal operation procedures/emergency procedures within the TDS GTN 750Xi unit. It’s essentially a copy of the procedures outlined within Black Square’s user manual… but now you can view it within the GPS unit. Probably some typos here and there so let me know via Flightsim.to if anything stands out.

Can you get the same checklist from the in-game panel? Of course. But I realized how easy it was to make checklists for the TDS so I just did it for the hell of it, lmao.

3 Likes

The engine condition decreases when overtorquing the engine. Looking at the code it seems a low engine condition will lead to at engine failure. Most other failures appear to be random or sheduled rather than related to user input. There can be other things going on - it’s a very long xml file.
Take look at the description of the failures in the updated manual:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by dynamics mod… But:

-Avionics are optional, it’s compatible with them, not mandatory.
-AP mod is not only free but also affects all planes in the sim that have the KAP140 unit

I get your questions, but it’s pointless to develop what’s already available. Them providing the links for the AP mod is simply a courtesy. The avionics packages (if you can even call the PMS50 that) are optional, and the plane works normally with the GNS530 that’s included with the sim

-R

4 Likes

oh Cabin Temperature Monitoring has been added =) air control will not be useless anymore :slight_smile: tryed it a bit , got a better weight feeling, not a rocket anymore xD

Beautiful. Highly appreciate your efforts! Eagerly awaiting the King Air.

In my view this is definitely worth it. This is essentially a “reality expansion pack” like the ones developed by Simcoders for X-Plane. While this is a bit more expensive, it turns a freeware aircraft which is not very realistic into a very realistic and immersive plane. I am not overly interested in failures but I would pay the price just to get the flight model mods and the tweaks to get the engine operating to the POH performance specs.
John

4 Likes

The reason of my question is because I didn’t know that those mods are optional.

Updated my Analog Caravan Improvement Mod to make it work with Version 0.1.1. -

• Flight Model - tweaked engine performance, torque on density and fuel flow to match POH performace of the 675 HP model

• Inertial Seperator now acts as Engine Anti Ice. Torque now really decreases with Inertial Seperator on (without my mod, you only see a torque decrease at the gauge with version 0.1.1, but the actual torque of the engine model in the sim wouild stay unchanged, so you would not notice any performance change)

• Gauges - Torque gauge now based on Free Turbine Torque value - will spool slower
    - Ng Gauge now correctly shows low idle Ng (~52%) and high idle NG (~63 %)
    - ITT gauge now is not going abruptely to zero if fuel is cut and combustion ends
    - Fuel Flow Gauge now uses the correct Fuel Flow variable and shows the actual fuel flow

Kind Regards
JayDee

11 Likes

Must admit, I was on the fence about this product (still am a little), but if this is the level of updates they’re doing whistles … that’s beginning to look really nice. Well done to all involved!

Can’t wait to see more of the Kingair too!