Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

Pulled up the KAP140 manual

Appears that this is correct operation, except that the UP/DN keys should only be adjusting the altitude pre-select by 20ft per press, not 100ft (I’m not sure if MSFS allows selected altitude to be anything other than 100ft increments). Anyway, the reason the 20ft adjustment exists is because this autopilot and its contemporaries (i.e. S-Tec 55) have an input from the transponder encoder, not the primary altimeter in the panel (because those are purely mechanical in small airplanes). So you would let the AP level-off and then use UP/DN to make these small adjustments to the flown altitude in order match the primary altimeter. Not really an issue in MSFS.

3 Likes

Question for the developer:

Is the simulation of beta range now fully supported in the sim? I still find beta weird in this plane which is my biggest complaint with this plane (and all other turboprops in MSFS).

3 Likes

Ah OK. I see. Thank you!

about your AP issue, was it when using kx155 & gns430 setup ? noticed some strange behavior (I m using atm the gns530WT ) when I started a flight with this setup , like having only gns430 don’t allow me to track gps course
auto pilot seem to don’t load correctly and I was not able to turn vs on neither
if you encounter again this issue, l suggest you to cycle your avionic setup (using for couple second the gns530 and roll back to your kx155) .

I did have the PMS50 GTN 750 and the “pure” radio as Nav2 (NOT the little GNS430).
I think I have found the solution. It seems you have to deactivate the ALT first. And then you can set a VS. Did not know that. Always a little bit different depending on the aircraft.

Chip Detectors in aircraft engines are activated by wear debris from various causes. The detector is similar to the sump plug in a car, with two magnets separated by a non magnetic/non conductive material. Two wires are routed to both sides of the sump plug that basically are wired to the chips light. When enough metal debris or chips of metal from the engine collect on both magnets they join and complete the circuit turning the light on in the cockpit. This is USUALLY indicative of a pending failure. In can also be the result of casting or machining material that has been dislodged from a new engine, although this is usually picked up during the initial bedding in engine runs by the maintenance crew. When this occurs the plug is pulled and bagged and sent for spectrum analysis to determine the source of the debris, however if there are large chips over a certain size (determined by OEM) then the engine is rejected.

11 Likes

Some modification in progress to reflect general aspects of Bendix King suite .Please note this is just personnal work, nothing official but if i really appreciated the job done by Black-Square, something was missing for a total immersion…more coming

1 Like

Why is the Caravan engine condition at 100% but depletes quickly downward? Dropping all the way down to zero in a few minutes and causing the engine to fail. I have my global failure settings for no failures already. This does not happen on the Bonanza.

I have the Bonanza and it does not have this issue.

don’t you overtorque it ? having faillure set to 0 doesn’t mean the engine can’t be stressed I thought

Do you have the power lever all the way forward all the time?

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I did run it full power :frowning:

from Nick,developer from Black square after I asked him about the engine :

“Each Analog aircraft that we sell is based on an exact model and year of real aircraft. For the Caravan, that’s a 1998 Cessna Grand Caravan. The Grand Caravan has the same fuselage as the Caravan EX, but the less powerful 675 SHP PT6-114A. It also does not have a torque limiter. Both of these improvements were introduced with the Caravan EX in 2012”

:wink:

4 Likes

I too had trouble installing the BS Caravan and Just Flight were no help. Yes they tried, with various suggestions, but failed to get my install working. They told me I must use Microsoft Edge and not my favourite Firefox, so I removed Firefox, making Edge the default browser. Made no difference!

I eventually got it installed by going to my old Dell, Windows 10 system and installed it there without problems. With Firefox too! Then I copied the installed Caravan over to the main, Windows 11 system.

I love this Caravan. I would like to print the Manual, but all the pages have a dark background and the ink would cost more than the original package. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

For anyone really gerning into this bird I can recommend this book specifically on Caravan flying:

3 Likes

Same here…after 4 days no help from Just Flight. I tried your idea and used my wife’s PC (Windows 11). Says it can’t find my MSFS install…looking for some “UserCfg.opt” file. So how were you able to make this work?

Garry

Good tip. Reading it on Kindle.

1 Like

Hi Garry,
The “old” machine where I succeeded in installing the BS Caravan happened to have MSFS already installed! So it was happy.

I read somewhere else that “something” is blocking the install on the Windows 11 system and that “something” could be a new Microsoft security measure they call Smart App Control and you could try disabling that? The other thing JF support suggested is to reboot into Safe Mode and do the install again. They say the install should work in Safe Mode!

They keep suggesting some work around in Windows or whatever, when this problem seems to be unique to JF installation? Maybe they should be changing their authentication process instead?

Where do you get this book please?

EDIT. Never mind. Found it for a good price on
https://www.booktopia.com.au/caravan-leroy-cook/ebook/9781619549432.html

I’ll check about this Smart App Control. They did suggest the Safe Mode boot, did that and no help. Tried all the simple stuff they suggested and since I told them it still is not working they have gone silent now for 4 days. Really great???
Thanks for the reply.
Garry

Hi again Garry,
You might have to do a minimal install of MSFS on your wife’s computer just to get this thing installed? But then there is no guarantee it will work there either! My other computer where it worked for me is running Windows 10 - THAT might make a difference?

If you know someone else who has this installed, you could just get a copy of their installed Caravan from their Community folder? Totally illegal, I know, but you HAVE paid for it and so could do that with a clear conscience.

Tony