Black Square TBM 850 - Wow

So earlier today contributed to the “Top Ten Aircraft” thread and noted that I had my eyes on the TBM 850. I was a bit conflicted as I have a number of new planes that I enjoy, and I liked the stock TBM 930 with its robust Garmin glass.

But like the Comanche, I had to see what all the fuss was about.

Wow.

Busy day at work and after a trip to Ikea for a small stand for one of my monitors, and best buy for a cord, got home and said, “Why not?” and picked it up. Easy install, and a robust manual. Great.

Got my cramped work/sim space in order. Got some grief (well deserved btw) for the wire mess I had so kinda cleaned that up (still bad, but hey, I used some zip ties on some cords) and prepped my area for flight!

In prep found a nice streamdeck profile for the TBM, and got that locked and loaded.

Also learned in the Top 10 thread that I could get an upgraded G750 Garmin add on. Awesome, didn’t know that! (Also hope to use something for the Comanche). Downloaded that.

So far…so good.

Loaded the TBM 850 up and confidently said, “I’ll wing it and use the in-game checklist and just pick and choose the stuff that is probably essential.” Ooooops. Wrong idea. The TBM by Black Square has Fenix/PMDG level of fidelity. Just couldn’t get the thing started and ready to go myself. This was a beast that needed to be tamed, and that required attention to detail, going through the manual, and watching YouTube videos…

Chose A330 Driver as my instructor (love his YouTube videos). He has about a 90 minute video on flying the 850, so watched it with manual in hand and the plane parked in Japan for a 2.5 hour flight (about to pass Toyko as I type this).

Just amazed at how you really have to follow procedure to get the plane humming. Kinda reminds me of the SWS Kodiak in that you got to be precise on timing and such w/r/t to the conditioner, propeller and throttle. Lot of systems to check and ensure they are activated in specific orders. I LOVE airliners and this reminded me of them. Just what I like.

The TDS GTN750xi client is just awesome. Had some hiccups with the install but figured it out in 10 minutes. Love having the glass on a separate monitor, though did some workaround to get it going and that leaves a blank screen “in plane” with the glass on monitor. Doesn’t bother me much but I’ll see if I can get the glass to be mirrored in the cockpit. Still works, just use it on 2nd monitor.

Performance wise just makes you smile as you make a steep climb to cruise altitude (in this case, 28,000 feet). Sound is vanilla. But overall handles well and great immersion.

Saw internal temps in the cabin getting low and what a joy to trouble shoot that. Such attention to detail by Black Square. Also had to learn how to manage cabin pressure - another new issue for me. Read the manual in flight and didn’t kill us.

Should be landing in about an hour so will be interesting, but just wanted to let the community know what they already know. This is an amazing plane and if you like fidelity, good looks, and performance, this is a must buy IMHO.

13 Likes

I fly BS TBM850
Amazing plane
Enjoy !

1 Like

Love the BS TBM850!

Even better with Air Manager and Touch Screens!

Simstrumentation have built a complete cockpit for it (freeware).

2 Likes

Fun thread! Nice write up. Man, I love love love this plane. My lil Swiss Army knife. It’s fantastic on VATSIM.

1 Like

For that second monitor and the TDS, you want to try it on a touchscreen. It is fantastic! I use a 15.6 inch touchscreen for the 750xi and the 650 and can play tunes on those units all day and all night long. I could never choose to put them into the aircraft from a useage point of view. It is simply brilliant.

1 Like

Question regarding the alert system.

So I’m feeling pretty confident with the TBM 850 on hard settings and turbulence on realistic. Now mostly flying to tough approach airports and such.

Flew from Renton, WA (KRNT) to Bella Coola (CYBD) in the mountains of western Canada. Nestled between 8,000 foot mountains. Visual flight rules and no ILS or RNAV approaches. Scouted the area and saw a valley I can take all the way to the landing strip.

Entrance to the valley…

When I get to about 4,000 feet I hear constantly, “Terrain Ahead! Pull up! Terrain ahead.” Never felt in real danger (the turbulence was rough) and though surrounded by peaks, I’m a good few hundred yards at a minimum from each side. Turn on Terrain mapping on the PMS 750 and though surrounded by red, again, no real danger.

I basically had to listen to the lady scream at me for a good 11 miles. Was already a difficult approach, and just made it harder to concentrate with “Terrain ahead!!”

So my questions:

Can I turn that off?
Is it a Garmin issue or 850 alert?

I perused the Black Square manual and didn’t see anything, but it was a quick look. Just wondering if the forum members have dealt with that in certain approaches and no if it is feasible to turn the alert off.

Regardless, I made the landing!