BlackBox BN2 Islander V1.3.2 released!

yep, that one :wink:
it was hiding from me apparently

1 Like

So, I read up above that can you can remove the passenger by taking the weight off the seat. But how do you take the weight off the seat? Forgive my stupidity, but I can seem to find any info on this.

Thanks,
M.
P.S. I bought the Islander from Blackbox’s store, not Microsoft. Is there a way to tell which version of the Islander I have in MSFS? Or in the Islander folder? So, next time I need to update, I will know where to look at the version number?

Regarding the passenger. Here’s what I do. When the aircraft is active in your sim, use the top menu to find and select the “fuel” option (the large weight icon). You will then see a payload section where the pilot and various passenger weights are shown. Pick the first passenger and reduce the weight to zero. That’s it. An empty seat now sits behind your right shoulder! And there are NO stupid questions in the quest for greater knowledge. (I should make that a quote in my next book!)

2 Likes

Have the cockpit textures / polygons been improved at all since release?

1 Like

Simply go to the weight menu where you add/remove fuel
You can see the list of seats and whats in them here

If you bought from Marketplace it will advise when an update is available you dont neeto dig out version numbers (But you can do from content manager)

1 Like

yes… there have been many improvements, especially around the panel and gauges

1 Like

That is great to hear. Could somebody post a few close up shots of the instruments in the dash? I‘m very interested in the Islander but have not pulled the trigger yet because of the look in the instruments in the official (maybe now outdated) screenshots.

I mean this one for example …

https://www.blackboxsimulation.com/files/cache/52ad03dc603bae0e87d117f48464675c_f807.jpg

The altimeter and airspeed indicator on the right could have used a few more polygons. Is this different in the recent version?

2 Likes

That’s what I need before buying as well, some screenshots to show the improvements.

Yea that would be good and would convince me to pull the trigger. The rest (sound, flight model etc.) seems great as far as can figure from YouTube videos. But since the Twin Otter is incoming (similar operational Profile) and seems to offer better value I‘m hesitant on the Islander.

Took a screenshot of a recent YouTube video of the Islander. Looks much better in the bezels. But I‘d much prefer some sort of confirmation before taking the risk. YouTube Videos are not the best source for that kind of thing. Compression and such can hide stuff.

Compression influence notwithstanding, this video seems to show the cockpit fairly well. Looks like the polygon count has indeed increased so should distract less. Textures on some surfaces still look a little under-mapped, but overall looking like something I’d enjoy flying now so gonna pull the trigger when I finish work today!

yes…get in there…you’re missing a great aircraft!

Truth be told it’s still not a looker, there are low res textures in the cockpit and the modelling is adequate but doesn’t come close to the defaults.

Don’t get this plane for the visuals, they’re not likely to impress, it certainly took some time for me to see through them and enjoy the plane for what it is. As people have mentioned get it for the nice flight model and incredible engine sounds.

No idea how the Twotter will fly and sound but it will most certainly be the better looking plane if Aerosoft’s CRJ is any indication.

3 Likes

Yeah, I bought it and just had my first flight and I have to say my reactions are mixed. The texture work on a lot of surfaces in the cockpit and the exterior is…underwhelming. Might seem a little unfair, but Asobo have raised the bar pretty high and unfortunately this product doesn’t reach it.

But the sounds, wow, they really did a great job with them and that does a lot of heavy lifting in the immersion which, overall, I think the plane has plenty of. The stol and flap response give a good feeling of utility.

It’s not cheap, and at the moment I can’t give it a full thumbs up but really look forward to what they can do with the textures in the future. Still imagine I’m going to have a fair amount of fun in it though.

Some of the best aircraft in sims up to now have not had the glossiest of finishes. The framerates and smoothness with the Islander is unsurpassable and it is a great aircraft. Does it really matter that it might not look like plastic like a lot of aircraft for MSFS ?

1 Like

Greatest of respect to all customers here BUT The BN2 Islander is known as the “LAND ROVER” Of the sky … Would you really expect a deep Laquered mirrorflake paintjob and top Austrian leather interior ?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Strange that you say that. My biggest 4 wheeled love was a series 2 Land Rover and this makes me feel that affection very much indeed. The similarities are marked, though the Islander seems to leak a lot less.

2 Likes

Thanks, KJKerr, NightMercury, and everyone for the help. I noticed the weight icon after I had posted and realized, “ah ha, that’s what they mean.” That passenger was creeping me out.

This version of the BN2 does have some exterior texture issues, but overall, I’m really pleased with it. Such a great plane in real life.

The engine sounds on this model, I love.

Will try to post some screen shots of instrument panels in just a few minutes.

M.

Pics: These are at 1920 x 1200-ish

3 Likes

I don’t recall anyone asking for a clean shiney finish, more the fact that areas like the prop spinners, side panels and other areas outside the immediate main panel are looking decidedly low res. These areas are glaring because you see them regularly when looking around the cockpit.

Even then the texture resolution on the main panel itself makes it hard to read some of the instruments.

It’s up to you to judge what level of quality you want to deliver but you can’t deny that, people are expecting a higher standard of detail and texturing with this new sim.

9 Likes