Blackbox BN2 Islander Version 2.0 PC & Xbox Released in Marketplace

A little Carb ice maybe ?
Prop pitch fully fine, Or Mixture ?

Iā€™ve noticed that since the v1 FM thereā€™s been a progressive reduction in angle of incidence of the tail - given itā€™s also in the slipstream of the props that might be affecting things in the areas weā€™ve been talking about, or then again it might not - the real plane has IIRC 3 degrees AOI ( down, one assumes! ) but those sorts of things donā€™t necessarily translate to MSFS. I canā€™t do the soft-field takeoffs and landings I could do in V1, and V2.1 is enough of a pain that Iā€™ve gone back to the V2.0 FM for now. I donā€™t know if you have access to any of the previous versions but you could try them back to back ( if you use the addon linker you can install the lot side by side & just pick one at a time ).

I am happy that the excessive pitch when setting flaps is gone but now I feel like there is almost no effect at all. Is this true to life?

A Real World Test Pilot has stated that the effect is very Subtleā€¦
I think the current update covers it

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

I purchased the Islander with V1.3.5, so I do have a couple of previous versions. I didnā€™t start learning to fly it until 2.1.1, though. Using Grahamā€™s recommendation of a bit more nose-up trim, Iā€™m finding the current flight model to be controllable using the POH procedures. Elevator authority alone (without using trim) is not adequate at low speed, but a little nose-up trim makes a huge difference.

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s realistic or not to the real airplane. It strikes me as odd. If trim operates with trim tabs (like on many GA aircraft), I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to gain more elevator authority by using trim ā€“ it would only make it easier (requiring less force) to move the yoke to full deflection. But itā€™s quite possible that this is a desired side effect that is required to circumvent some other flight model limitation.

Hey everyone, just a quick update regarding the KAP-140 + Logitech multi-panel.

The developer said that the KAP-140 mod doesnā€™t process the external inputs, but rather it improves the accuracy of the in-panel KAP-140.

I messed around with my SPAD.neXt profile for the Islander and got all my switches and stuff (and prop feathering!) working. ā€¦and failed to remember exactly what it was I did. Iā€™m going to check the profile again this evening to see if I can figure out what I changed. Will post my Alpha and Bravo ā€œcomplete deviceā€ profiles once I am reasonably confident that thereā€™s no giant errors in it.

Iā€™m not sure soft-field techniques are in any POH :slight_smile: for anyone unfamiliar - the idea is to get the nosewheel off the ground asap, take off early and accelerate in ground-effect rather than dragging wheels through soft terrain. This obviously needs fairly immediate elevator authority, and similarily you want the nose off the ground for as long as possible landing in case it digs in.

Iā€™ve read in a few places now about the Islanderā€™s almost excessive elevator authority ( the easily accessible note is in that Pilot flight test where he talked about holding the nose up almost to standstill on touchdown, so thatā€™d be without any significant input from the props - the V1 FM can certainly do that ), what Iā€™ve yet to find are any notes about trimming it in cruise & how much pitch trim changes with speed / power settings, which would be some indication of how much input the fixed stabs have. Unfortunately the trim indicator is on the pilotā€™s side, so itā€™s hard to see in video sources.

2 Likes

when will the update be on the xbox marketplace?

As has been said several times throughout the thread, this is out of the developerā€™s hands. We just have to wait on Microsoft and the Xbox team.

1 Like

I have just been informed that there is every chance the BN2 V2 will be released this coming Thursday 15th September
This will be the latest V2.1.2 for PC and XBOX

14 Likes

Oh finally! :slight_smile: thanks Sir.
Fingers crossed

1 Like

Bad news Folks sorry ā€¦ out of our control ;(

To align with SU10 dependencies, we are pushing this weekā€™s Marketplace release to next week. There will be no Marketplace release this Thursday, September 15. Content being processed for release this week is now planned to be included in the next Marketplace release on Thursday, September 22.

6 Likes

Not your fault clearly, and itā€™s sensible given SU10 is imminent.

At least it clarifies that SU10 will release somewhere between now, and next Thursday, so silver linings, and all that.

2 Likes

Expected that to happen, np

1 Like

Whenever I watch a video of the Islander or any other twin I often see the pilot having different throttle settings for each engine like in the image below:

What is the reason for this? I even see different prop and mixture settings as well and I never see any reason to do this in the sim.

1 Like

it is simply due getting them synched properly to differences in the linkages and cables

2 Likes

So Iā€™m guessing there are no differences in the linkages and cables in the MSFS version of the Islander for example?

1 Like

The BBS Islanders are all superbly maintained aircraft - they have to be, the outcry would be deafening if the engine, prop and mixture levers were out of sync.

6 Likes

I frequently feel for the very awesome @NightMercury358 and his efforts to keep everyone happy.

4 Likes