BlackBox Simulation releases Cessna L-19 ‘Bird Dog’

Good to know, thanks for the responses! Looks like I will be purchasing the Bird Dog for xmas, haha.

1 Like

I feel sure you won’t regret it.

Like @TallestParsley2 I have been a Bird Dog fan for a very long time (although I discovered it as a kid via an Airfix kit!) and like @BostonJeremy77 bought the BB version on release. I have still flown it more than most other planes in my hangar.

3 Likes

Thanks! Love digging deeper and learning about the planes I’m currently flying in the sim. I’m currently on a DC3 kick and even asked for a book (Every reason to fail) for xmas. Fun hobby!

2 Likes

Here’s a little clip I just took. I think the propellor sound loop is most noticeable in the cockpit view.

BTW I think that flicker when I switched from external to internal view is a result of the latest nVidia driver. Have never experienced it before…
But like the looping propellor, it is definitely not a show-stopper for me!

Yep, that’s what I hear as well, although I have never been sure if the Bird Dog just has that kind of recurring sound!

1 Like

He does!

4 Likes

Make sure you adjust your CoG in the weight and balance menu before you load your flight if you haven’t already! I fly around 31% MAC, but it has been some time since i have flown it simply due to proficiency and it being too easy to bush fly with. Grabbed the 172 tail dragger mod which is a nice small step up in weight class.

Thanks, I will look at both the W&B and the 172

The Bird Dog is on sale in the MP for nearly 50% off. I have always had an interest in this plane but have so many similar bush planes. But this price looks like a steal.

Big fan of BlackBox Simulation, but since this was his first product for MSFS (afaik), is it still considered a pretty good product?

1 Like

Is that 31% empty wait (dry) or MAUW ?

Yep! Still fly it regularly.

3 Likes

An excellent buy at this price!

1 Like

I will have to pick this up during the sale, been wanting to buy it after reading good things about it. So many planes to fly, so little time… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is a steal at the sale price. Especially considering the other planes you favor. This has that weight and overpowered engine of a military plane. It feels old. But you can land it almost anywhere. If you like the Goose and Staggerwing, also heavy but overpowered, you should quite like hand flying this one.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! Purchased…

2 Likes

34-35% MAC actually, i just did some hopping around and it handled the CoG at basically max aft after i top off fuel and set my pilot weight.

I did buy this bird and finally today got to fly it for the first time. I really enjoyed flying this gal around! I was in the bush variant and was bombing around the upper peninsula of Michigan, was great landing on all the small strips in the area. Thank you to those that suggested the Bird Dog!

5 Likes

Is there any chance the Amphibian sounds can be fixed for when you drive up onto land out of the water? It still sounds like the water is sloshing the floats (and they’re really loud, too, though, that I can live with when it’s in the water). I don’t know if the sound system is capable of recognizing it’s driven out of the water.

I was flying my L19 recently and noticed that my tires seem to be flat-spotted when taxiing around on the runway and tarmac.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I just posted a video of a long-standing issue involving turbulence effects on approach and landing. I just happened to be in my Bird Dog for this video.
It seems like no matter how badly the winds might be blowing on approach, they seemingly disappear just over the runway.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Haven’t noticed a flat spot before, I may have to go take her out for a spin and see if mine does that as well.

Turbulence - I do get blown around pretty good in this gal from time to time but figured its because I have turbulence set to real and thats how it would be in RL.

1 Like